Diving Pattaya

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Koh Lanta is indeed very quiet. I dont know what you are looking for in association with your diving, but if nightlife is a concern, Patong in Phuket has a number of similarities to Pattaya, and even on your own, doubt you could become bored in a week.
There are plenty of dive op's in Patong, all will run day trips to a number of local dive sites. As has already been said, July is not the best time of year for diving the Andaman Sea, but as someone told me on my first trip to Thailand, 'a bad days diving in the Andaman Sea still beats a good day in the Gulf of Thailand'. Hundreds of dives later I have no evidence to dispute that statement.
With regard to specifics on particular dive op's accommodation etc there are others on here that are much better placed than myself to advise you, my knowledge of South Thailand is more limited and not so up to date as my knowledge of the Pattaya area. I will say that generally most things in Phuket I have always found are a little more expensive than Pattaya.

Just a few more questions I've thought of! (All in regards to diving in Koh Lanta vs Koh Tao

1. Social aspects of staying on Koh Lanta/Koh Tao itslef? (I'll be there by myself) Diving is what I'll be there for however if the weather isn't too good I'd still like other alternative activities other then getting on the turps (staying in pattaya will have got that out of my system)
Tao is busier, particularly in July, than Lanta. It's a much smaller island, and it's on the backpacker highway--every Lonely-Planet-toting 20-something has to check it off their itinerary list. Lanta also appeals to backpackers, but it's not so much a 'must do' for that bunch as is Tao, so it's as relaxed as Tao but without as much flow through. If you want a bit more bustle on Lanta, you would want to stay more to the north, towards the town of Saladan rather than at one of the further beaches. The ferry docks at Saladan, which explains why that's the busiest place on the island.

2. Liveaboards vs Phuket vs Koh Lanta vs Koh Tao(where should i stay!) Money isnt too much of an issue however it's always nice to have more to spend on expensive dive gear and other holidays!
There's actually a budget liveaboard out of Lanta, so maybe that would be an option if the dates mesh for you. It would solve the social stuff as well as the diving, and the prices are quite competitive on a per-dive basis when you consider that you don't pay anything extra for food and lodging. I've also got a liveaboard sailing out of Tao on short trips, but it won't be there until the second week of July. There are a few liveaboards sailing out of Phuket to the southern islands as well. It's a pretty big question, actually, and deserves a much fuller response that takes into account your dates.

3. Accommodation recommendations? Looking for something where I can be social and meet people while I'm not diving so I don't end up being a hermit.
Well, let's leave that for when you decide which island you prefer.

4. Booking in advance or book as I go? Alot of accommodation reviews of people who have booked in advance don't look so good. Any truth to this??
You should at least know whether you'll be on a liveaboard before you start thinking about where to stay! Once you've decided on an island and then liveaboard or not, you can figure out where to stay. You should be able to just show up at that time of year on Phuket or Lanta and find something, if you don't mind wasting half a day looking around. On Tao, in July, I'd pre-book.

5. Is Koh Lanta/Koh Tao the primary dive spot or will companies take me around the other islands as well?
The dive sites at Tao are mostly nearby. The ones at Lanta are further. There aren't any dive sites right at Lanta, so you would definitely go to other islands.

Sorry if it seems Ive asked the same questions everyone else has asked. Can't seem to find much info on diving during July and solo.

Cheers guys

Mike
Not a problem.

Looks like I'll be heading to Lanta this July! At the moment the plan is to fly into Bangkok in the first week of July, up to Sakon Nakhon to pick up some friends who are locals there, down to Pattaya for 5 or so days then bus/fly to Phuket where I'll ferry to Lanta and spend the remaining 8-10 days there or around Phuket depending on weather and my diving schedule/dive reports from the area.
Thanks for all your advice guys it's been really beneficial. Mrs Quero, will let you know the details and dates of my trip as they become available and maybe I can organise something through you if that's okay?

Cheers

Mike

Quero, will let you know the details and dates of my trip as they become available and maybe I can organise something through you if that's okay?
I would be delighted to help, of course.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom