Diving Quarrys in Ohio. What Wetsuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wouldn't anticipate being below the thermocline during fundies. You will live at 20'

I think Francesco said he likes to do the whole class at 30’, which makes me a bit nervous we might be right at or just under the thermocline depending on where it is? In any event, sounds like I will need some wet gloves. Any recommendations on a good set for the class?

I think Francesco said he likes to do the whole class at 30’, which makes me a bit nervous we might be right at or just under the thermocline depending on where it is? In any event, sounds like I will need some wet gloves. Any recommendations on a good set for the class?
My favorite wet gloves are the Fourth Element ones. I find the 3mm still give pretty good dexterity. I hated the 5mm ones. I’d put up with slightly chilly fingers to have better dexterity. But then I have a high cold tolerance so YMMV.

Looking at my logbook, in prior years of doing alot of diving at Gilboa, in the June-July timeframe, my dives on the "shallow side" with a max depth of around 30', I typically had low temps in the low to mid 60s.

I'll throw another name in the hat for a meetup at Gilboa or White Star to dive- maybe I can start a new thread

@bran22 if you ever want to do some diving at gilboa or white star feel free to let me know, I am always looking for people to dive with. Summer gets crazy since it's boat season, but in-between trips I'll be looking at logging some quarry dives.

@Barefoot_Lawyer IMO, go with drygloves. I don't have any late July dives logged at gilboa, but late August at 60' my log shows 48°.
I was wanting to squeeze in a few dives this weekend before getting my wisdom pulled next Thursday since that'll put me out a few weeks. But I know that's a bit of a short notice lol

I haven't worn wet gloves in probably 5 or 6 years, but the waterproof ones were my favorite when I was wearing them. Very comfy with good mobility.
1715193467179.png

I haven't worn wet gloves in probably 5 or 6 years, but the waterproof ones were my favorite when I was wearing them. Very comfy with good mobility.
View attachment 840271
Good mobility with those is very subjective. I tried those. Absolutely horrid.

View attachment 840271
Those are my choice when I'm going "wet" and want insulation. The are my "Tobermory" gloves on family dive excursions. I won't dive dry with everyone else being wet.

I don't think a perfect glove exists, but these are pretty good. The "Dry Five" with the wrist seal are also a reasonable choice...

I have a bin of gloves, constantly chasing the unattainable perfection.

Those are my choice when I'm going "wet" and want insulation. The are my "Tobermory" gloves on family dive excursions. I won't dive dry with everyone else being wet.

I don't think a perfect glove exists, but these are pretty good. The "Dry Five" with the wrist seal are also a reasonable choice...

I have a bin of gloves, constantly chasing the unattainable perfection.
Dry five is a dry glove. While I often see people wearing them as wet gloves, they were designed to be a univserval neorpene dry glove with a drysuit.
If you look at the cuff design, it is made to sandwich your wrist seal between the layers. Awesome gloves but nearly impossible to self don when using them dry.

.Awesome gloves but nearly impossible to self don...
Like Fourth Element "Spiderman" gloves...

Like I said, there is no perfect glove...

What’s the temp below the thermocline in late July? Should I plan on dry gloves or 5mm wet gloves? (Taking GUE fundamentals there July 24)
I know which class you are taking :). I might see you at the beginning of yours. I’d recommend 5mm wet gloves so that you can easily manipulate your clips and valves. If you have never used dry gloves, fundies is not the time to learn that new feel. I checked my log book over the past few years. Looks like temps at 20-30 were about 65 to 75. The platforms are at 20 feet so i wouldn’t imagine you will be at 30 ft

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom