Diving Saudi Arabia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CAPTAIN SINBAD

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I would like to come to Saudi Arabia for diving. A few questions ...

How does it compare to Egyptian Red Sea? Is it worth the extra hassle or are we better diving the more tourist friendly Egypt?

Secondly what Visa do you enter Saudi Arabia in to dive? They do not offer tourist visas. I do know some local businesses there that can grant me a business visa or I could come on the Umrah Visa but can you dive on both visas?

Finally ... are there any liveaboards that are running trips?

Cap
The diving here is great especially if you can get around the Farisan Islands,Jeddah is also nice, I have not got a chance to go to the Egypt side to compare yet. I would think that a business visa would be your best bet for getting in the country as I have heard they are cracking down on whats allowed for the Umrah visa. I would think if you could get in for a week or two you could dive the better spots. I am heading for Jeddah Mid May and will be up there for the next 6 months so send me a message if your coming this way. I can get you some contact info for diving this area

Cheers
Michael

---------- Post added at 08:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:41 AM ----------

Cap
Not any Liveaboards that I am aware of but things change up here often so I will check into that and let you know

Cheers
Michael

I am also interested in going to Jeddah, both for the diving and also for sightseeing. Problem is, I am a single woman. I have only just started researching travel in Saudi, but it looks like not only would I not enjoy myself travelling as a single woman there, but it is also against the law for single women to be unaccompanied by a male relative. I just wonder if anyone out there has had experience with this. Is there a way of hiring a male travel companion, and pretending they are a brother or husband...are you asked to prove this somehow, and what happens if they find out you are lying? Jeddah seems like such a cool place to visit, but I want to have all my facts straight because it seems like there are some big consequences for not following etiquette!

Anyone out there have experience in Jeddah as a single woman or who have known single women travelling there? (Sorry Sinbad, hope I haven't hijacked your thread by asking a different question..)

Here is a site with general information that may be helpful:
Scuba Diving in Saudi Arabia | Information, Reviews, Dive Shops, Liveaboards

Here is another site in which a single woman asks essentially the same question as amp6011 (although not about scuba). Here is part of the answer:

Now to one point that greatly concerns me. You mentioned travelling alone. DO NOT do this. Women have very few rights in KSA, and as a Western woman you will, in some ways, have fewer. Women are not permitted to travel alone in KSA. Do not be surprised if the Matawa (Religious police) demand proof of marriage and ask where your husband is. It is not safe to travel alone. I do not recommend that you bring a woman-friend to come with you. This will just draw more attention to you. Actually, any number of women alone, especially non-Arab/non-Muslim will draw a lot of attention.

Definately bring a male friend with you... especially someone who is not afraid to pretend to be your husband in public if necessary. If you have a brother/uncle that is even better. (Male cousin is ok, but may be considered as inappropriate since in Saudi you can marry your cousin. Best approach: Do not draw attention to the fact that you are single. If you bring a man with you, do not be publicly affectionate, but referring to him as your husband would be a good idea.​

I am also interested in going to Jeddah, both for the diving and also for sightseeing. Problem is, I am a single woman. I have only just started researching travel in Saudi, but it looks like not only would I not enjoy myself travelling as a single woman there, but it is also against the law for single women to be unaccompanied by a male relative. I just wonder if anyone out there has had experience with this. Is there a way of hiring a male travel companion, and pretending they are a brother or husband...are you asked to prove this somehow, and what happens if they find out you are lying? Jeddah seems like such a cool place to visit, but I want to have all my facts straight because it seems like there are some big consequences for not following etiquette!

Anyone out there have experience in Jeddah as a single woman or who have known single women travelling there? (Sorry Sinbad, hope I haven't hijacked your thread by asking a different question..)

You may need a marriage certificate to get the Travel Visa.

CAPTAIN SINBAD, you're definitely going to want the Visa sponsored by a company, that will give you the most flexibility.

amp0611
First off it is very hard to get a visa into this country for any reason. if you travel as a single woman into this country they will expect you to be met at the airport by an employer or someone. So that is the start of your problems now you can bring someone and they can act as your husband but you might have to prove that they are with wedding papers or same name on passports. The other problem you will have is checking into any hotel they want copy of your passport which will show your not married.
The good news is that if you can get by all that ,then you will probably not be bothered much by anyone. This country is a safe country to move around in as long as you use common sense. The religious police here usually don't bother westerners and in fact they have been advised to leave them alone. They have had some high level people in that department fired for bothering the westerners.
I would think your best bet would be to travel with another female if you do come this way but if you don't know anyone here,you are going to find it very hard to get around in this country as 2 females.
Now once you get past the fact that they don't provide tourist visas to anyone except the 3 million or so that come here for the religious reason of seeing Mecca and such. The diving here is something else for sure,it almost spoils you once you have been under here. The usual vis is awesome here sometimes its as far as you can see and the water temps of 27-30 makes it very easy to dive. The cost of diving here is also very cheap in comparison to the rest of the world. We take boat trips here that are an all day outing with lunch and snacks provided ,3 dives with tanks and weights and it cost us 300 SAR which is 78.00 USD.

Is it worth coming here absolutely with out a doubt

Cheers
Michael

amp0611
...and they can act as your husband but you might have to prove that they are with wedding papers or same name on passports. The other problem you will have is checking into any hotel they want copy of your passport which will show your not married....

Many muslim women don't take their husband's last name. The issue is going to be to get the Visa, you will have to provide proof of marriage. Your Visa will then have your "husbands" name on it as your traveling companion.

You can travel around without a male companion but somethings might be hard to do, if you have some friends over there then there husband or brother can help you, but it's better if there wife or sister company you guys, Usually they don't investigate all them and if you look like sister or wife of the male friend your with they will let you go easily but better not take the risk.

and Sinbad, I can't say much about egypt but if you know arabic going around won't be a problem, Since jeddah is right next to makkah going there won't be that hard but sometimes they might stop you at check post tell you to go back to makkah if your on umrah visa, I can't say much about liveboats but in my point of view ksa is not a tourist friendly place. But you might find lot of divers in jeddah so you may also find expats dive centers there.

Yanbu, is a great underwater visibility, expansive networks of soft coral and colorful marine life.

I too am very keen to dive Saudi. Heard fantastic things about the waters here. The only problem is travelling with my partner who I am not married too. What is the best visa to attempt to apply for? Also, what is the best time to dive Saudi?

Back
Top Bottom