Diving solo on Similan liveaboard?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

deronw

Registered
Reaction score
Hello,

I am planning to book a 4-day Similan liveaboard trip during my trip to Phuket in March (undecided on the boat). I will be traveling solo, and I don't mind this, but I like to be safe and always dive with a buddy. When on a liveaboard by yourself, is it common and possible to buddy up with one of the instructors or will I likely be able to find another solo diver to buddy with? If anyone has done this, I would appreciate some info. or suggestions.

Thanks for the help.

Deron

I was out on a Similans trip a month back. I can tell you that all dives began with 2-3 buddy pairs in a group led by a DM. When there was an odd person out that person buddied with the DM. People could finish the dive on their own time. I imagine this is the norm given that most of the sites are "live boat" drops and pickups. Some members of the board hail from Phuket and may have a more definitive answer.

Are there certain boats that cater more to singles versus couples? I would like to make some new friends on the boat and it is always easier to do that and often more fun when with other singles (either male or female).

Thanks again,

Deron

Normally you will be budied up with somebody else. On the first dive the DM then observes how things go, and if you want you can dive without the DM on the rest of the liveaboard. Diving with a DM is normally no problem though, because the groups are small (max. 4 people) and the DM is the one who knows the area.

Regarding your other question: give me a mail at info@phuket-scuba.com, and I can help you out.

Thanks again,

Deron[/QUOTE]

deronw:
Are there certain boats that cater more to singles versus couples? I would like to make some new friends on the boat and it is always easier to do that and often more fun when with other singles (either male or female).

Thanks again,

Deron
Deron, there is never a shortage of dive buddies on the Liveaboards. To meet other people I recommend that you look for the inexpensive options or more relaxed Liveaboard operations as the more luxurious boats tend to attract more couples.
I believe that the objective of the board is not to use this medium for advertising by company but over the year's we have sent many customers on the follwing boats and they have honestly enjoyed themselves. You can check them out on the web;
MV Le Mahe
MV Jonathan Cruiser
Also my favourite option is The Junk (although it is more expensive) and usually the guests mingle well on this Liveaboard boat. When I last went on it I did not want to get off it!
Hope this helps and enjoy your Liveaboard cruise!

Thanks for the input everyone. It sounds like doing my trip and finding a dive buddy won't be a problem. Now I just need to figure out which boat to take, but it is a fun job comparing them. Hope to meet some of you in March.

Deron

Enjoy your trip, you won't have any problem finding dive buddy on any live aboard as most will have combinations of couples and singles on board.
When comparing prices for boats, I always recommend looking at the Panunee at www.panunee.com or Aqua One at http://www.dive-aquasports.com/mainpage.html
These 2 are among some of the best boats in Thailand. They are more expensive than many boats but they will give you an idea of prices. There are many good dive operators with cheaper boats but I also see many dive operators who are trying to charge what I consider to be outrageous price, especially when you compare them to Panunee or Aqua One. By the way, if either is in your price range, I highly recommend either. Other friends also like Viking of the Orient, heard a lot of good things about the Junk but have not been on them personally.

You might also want to have a look at kingfisher divers. They were very good when we went and had a great atmosphere on the boat between staff and guests.

Thanks for the ideas everyone. I just booked my trip with the Jonathan Cruiser and am really looking forward to it. Will report back when I return.

Deron

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom