Diving Southpaw

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I see that Zeagle's Ranger BC has two butt-dump valves, one on the left and one on the right. I guess that's a point in its favor for southpaws?

Kinda reminds me when I golfed and rented clubs I would sometimes be forced to rent righty clubs. Rightys would always tell me what an advantage it was for some bizarre reason that never made sense to me. I would always reply "then why don't rightys use left handed clubs?" That would usually cause deer-in-the-headlights looks :) I haven't been bothered by the standard bc setup, but can sorta see the benefit of a free left hand. But in this case I agree that a non-standard setup could be a safety hazard.

Quite amazing. This thread got to message number 13. Do they make lefty Spare Airs?

Thanks all for the info.

I am not about to jump into a purchase right this second ... I am just shopping around and wanted to see if there were BCs that left my dominant hand free for my compass and (eventually) a wrist-mounted computer. More than likely I will go with the standard as there are just too few options and I don't want to have to explain it on every dive to my buddies.

Hi chesh! We lefties are usually smarter, nicer and better looking. Just remember everyone is ugly with a reg in their yap. hahah.
Once you kit up at least for me, I found that I had great control of my equipment. Keeping my guages and computer on my right with my compass on my left. Control of my inflator is great. Also a mentioned it is good to stayed somewhat conformed in sameness of your kit as others for safety reasons. have fun kev

I'm not at home at the moment (out of town on business) but I seem to think that my old bc (Aeris Atmos, XT) has a shoulder dump on the right, that, for the sake of not having to have to machine different parts, would probably fit the inflator??? Not sure why it would be overly practical, but you asked!

Also Lefty. Never even thought about BC being any different.
Works well for us lefties just as it is. With good buoyancy I am seldom needing to use the inflater, so both hands are usually free for whatever chores arise. Even when shooting photos (left hand) I can do a quick agjustment, if required.
Having done rescue I see the value of standard set ups, to avoid confusion should an emergency ever arise.

chesch:
I am just shopping around and wanted to see if there were BCs that left my dominant hand free for my compass and (eventually) a wrist-mounted computer.

Reach across with your right. I use the inflator with either hand, depending on what I'm doing with the other at the time. The inflator is only about 3 inches closer to your left hand.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom