Diving speigal grove

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My first dive on SG was late Feb of last year, there was a goodly current, vis was around 60' and temp was 73

I did what you are thinking about, 2 wks ago. Dove the Miller lite then drove down to the Keys and dove the Grove. Did two dives back to back temp was 78 with about 60ft of vis.
I wanted to do more dives on the Grove or the Duane but no one was diving the wrecks. This was the week after Thanksgiving and not enough divers. So it might be worth your time to call around to some of the shops to set something up before making the drive. Also the weather can screw things up. But if you do go have a great time.
Al

Just got back from a trip that included diving the Spiegel Grove, the Duane and the Eagle. Penetration dives on all three. Conditions varied widely. One day 8 foot seas with 18kt and higher winds. Next day 2-3 foot seas with 10-12kt winds. One day vis was about 50 feet, the next about 15 feet. Water temp for all was 78F. All were good dives. Boat captain said this was pretty typical weather for winter in that area.

The last day of the trip I needed to do some shopping so penetrated some stores while the rest of the gang did the Spiegel again. They did it with most everyone else on the boat which was a problem. Too many people and some fumblefoot up front silted everyone else out. So, if you are going to penetrate the Spiegel I'd recommend no more than 3 in your area.

Had a blast with the dives; under the same conditions would do them again in a heartbeat. As a matter of fact I am planning a return to that area in late February 2005, a couple months from now.

scuppertrout:
Just wondering what anyone had to say about diving the Speigai Grove. I am planning a Diving trip to West Palm and thought I may go dive the Speigal Grove while I am in the area.
Try it... you'll like it! Current and viz vary greatly. For those who haven't dived her recently, she's sporting a nice layer of growth... soft corals, anemones, hydroids, and sponges... in certain areas. The port crane (the one that lays across the well deck) and the exposed intact portion of the flight deck come to mind. Give her time... she's getting there!

Hi all,

Sorry to bring up an old thread. I am looking at diving the
Grove in Mid February this year. Any suggestions on dive operators?

Do any of them offer trimix?

Thanks.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom