Spiegel Grove hull feature: what are they??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@Capt Jim Wyatt has a number of stories about the Speigle Grove. If you ever get a chance to offgas with the man, you should goad him into telling a few. Of course, should he deign to post some here, that would be awesome.

I see bunches of 50 man SOLAS A packs, and a funny looking LCAC, but I see no lifeboats.

1698593341695.png

I see bunches of 50 man SOLAS A packs, and a funny looking LCAC, but I see no lifeboats.
I'm not sure I know the difference ...???

Lifeboat.

1698613762323.png

Solas A pack

1698613856835.png

Spiegel might be my favorite US based dive. I lament any year I don't get at least a double dip on it. I'm sure others have reasons why they prefer another or why other FL artificial reefs are better, but for some reason I have a special spot in my heart for this one. For my first dive on it, The Chairman crewed the boat I was on (he had a head cold and couldn't dive so he offered to crew). I joined Scubaboard a couple of days later. I have had Capt. Jim as the captain of the boat going to the Spiegel multiple times and wish I had picked his brain a bit during those SIs.

Reading the Wikipedia page informative and looking at the picture of it and trying to orient to it's current state is a nice way to spend some time.

Spiegel might be my favorite US based dive. I lament any year I don't get at least a double dip on it. I'm sure others have reasons why they prefer another or why other FL artificial reefs are better, but for some reason I have a special spot in my heart for this one. For my first dive on it, The Chairman crewed the boat I was on (he had a head cold and couldn't dive so he offered to crew). I joined Scubaboard a couple of days later. I have had Capt. Jim as the captain of the boat going to the Spiegel multiple times and wish I had picked his brain a bit during those SIs.

Reading the Wikipedia page informative and looking at the picture of it and trying to orient to it's current state is a nice way to spend some time.
I agree, one of my favorite artificial reefs in the US. I have 24 dives on the Spiegel Grove starting in 2004, including 5 dives before it was shifted upright by Hurricane Dennis in July 2005. I haven't dived it since 4 dives in 2015 when I did the Florida Wreck Trek off @Wookie Spree as part of a ScubaBoard trip with @The Chairman I really need to get back down to Key Largo for a day or 2 during one of my visits to SE Florida to dive the Spiegel Grove and the Duane.

in 2015 when I did the Florida Wreck Trek off @Wookie Spree as part of a ScubaBoard trip with @The Chairman
The "Spree for All" was an awesome time, indeed.

I got to dive it for the first time this year. Absolutely incredible and it really ignited a passion for wrecks and their history. Living in NE we have quite a few to explore. Side note- the previous few comments is what makes me love the dive community. We seem to not always see eye to eye on some things, but give us a 510’ ship underwater and an appropriate gas plan and there’s no way to be unhappy.

and it really ignited a passion for wrecks
Not to be too pedantic, but the SG is not a wreck: It's an artificial reef. They're fun underwater jungle gyms, but no one was in danger when she went down. While there were screams in anger for the SG as she didn't go down as planned, but there were no screams in terror. She is not a "screamer" in that regard.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom