Diving Sunday 4th

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was out at South Monastery today. Conditions looked good, but didn't really have time to check things out since we were doing rescue scenarios. That sloped beach sucks. Good news is I'm all done with the rescue class.

Other then a pollen alert looks like another beautiful sunny day for this week and next week so hint hint on March 12 to 16 :eyebrow: :eyebrow: :eyebrow:

Another weird thing was my LDS was having a rental sale and I found my OW training and rental BC which was a Scubapro classic plus and he gave it to me for free so this is gonna be a good week. Well time to start the week of good college test. :14:

I was at the Breakwater on Sunday but glad I was not trying to find anyone. It was a zoo with classes all over the place. Vincente and I escaped the crowds and had a nice peaceful trip out to the metridiums. Lovers Point (west side and east side) on Saturday was very nice with much better vis (about 30 ft) than breakwater. The notorius Fred made an appearance at Lovers and asked if I wanted a buddy. I am glad I read the Scubaboard postings.

The BC wasn't really that free :p, I rented it probably one too many times to the point where I could actually buy it. The place was at Stan Skin and Dive down in San Jose.

zvinzonz:
Randolph you spent $300 on emails answering problems while on vacation? Wow that's a lot of emails. I hope you get reimbursed or better yet got paid overtime answering emails while on vacations.

Charges courtesy of Princess Cruise Lines Satellite internet connection. I think the deal was $50 an hour. I was running some projects and bidding on new work during vacation. Actually I didn't get re-imbursed, as I forgot about the charges, and the FY ended.

It wasn't a lot of emails, just very long tedious ones (job estimates).
And I'm in UM so, no OT, on-call all the time. Plus I forget about alot of the work related stuff I do. It just blends in. I think it's pretty normal... (Please tell me it is!)

R

Well I had an outstanding weekend on my OW checkout dives. Me and my buddy had actually both been previously certified (he was in '02, I was in '88), so it really ended up being an intense refresher, and we all had a great time!

Dive 1 Otter Cove, ~10:50 sat. Surface conditions were flat calm (2ft swell?), no wind, high tide and temp 53 degrees. Really distracting to do a class in. Saw an old spider crab, it was huge. Vis 40-50ft. 35ft 25 min.

Dive 2 Hopkins Reef. ~1:10 Sat. Vis decreased to about 15 ft on this dive, I guess the tide changed and was outgoing. Found a nice Bruce anchor and tried to convince my instructors to mark it so we could come back and get it. They pretty much balled me out underwater for not sticking with the class, but later on the surface we got into the retrieval. After a few minutes of planning, we realized we were in the sanctuary which is a "NO TAKE" zone, and it was probably part of their research, so we abandoned the idea. $200-$400 worth of anchor just sitting there... 47 ft, 23 min.

Dive 3, 10am Sun, Lover's Point. Beach break was almost nil. Vis 15-20 ft. nice swim about 400 yards out and back. 42ft, 35 min. Found few nudis.

Dive 4, 2pm Sun, Hopkins Reef. Vis about 15 ft. We had about a 1 hour delay sitting on the boat waiting on some divers to show. Finished the OW check out stuff then dove at our leisure. Current picked up a bit. 42 ft, 30 min.

Dive 5, 3:30pm Sun, Off McAbee Beach at some pinnacle. I didn't write down the name of this spot, and can't find my on-line maps. We were free to do our own thing, but the instructors still dogged us (good for us!). Circled around the pinnacle and saw my first metridium. A nice sized ling and a few more nudibranchs. 49 ft, 31 min.

All in all, I can't imagine a better check-out dive weekend. Seemingly warm water diving with flat seas in Monterey. I'm stoked. Diving a few times in Mexico next week, already signed up for the advanced PADI dives, and for a trip to Catalina Memorial day, then maybe La Paz at Labor Day.

Went to BW around 6pm Sat to look for a fellow SB'er(hey Ben), and hung out to watch folks doing night dives. The underwater lights made a neat show at night. Looking forward to it myself.

R

Off a boat off McAbee, it was almost undoubtedly Sammet's Spire. Not a spire, one of
Phil Sammet's fellow dive boat captains was having some fun with him. Phil deserves
something better named after him. It's a good site for newbies, but Phil is Capt. Deep.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom