Diving Tables???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

miketsp:
The big problem with most of these tables is that they stop at 39m.
Exactly where things start to get interesting.
The tables I carry in my BC pocket, for those special occasions, should cover the unexpected.
So I stick with my CMAS tables which run to 63m.

Well, given that this is in the New Diver forum, I really don't think that's an issue. Last time I check most OW divers were supposed to stay shallower than 18m (60fsw).

Now, if you are talking dives to 60 fsw on a single dive there shouldn't many divers that really need to worry. Why? Because they won't make 55 minutes at that depth on an AL80.
Repetitive dives are a different story of course. The question then becomes: How much of a difference will different tables make? Hopefully you're not cutting your dives so close that the difference will be large and can't be accounted for by a slightly longer SI.

Thanks for all your replies! and I got plenty.
So, until I'm teached otherwise(multilevel or computer diving) I will continue to plan my dives with the square tables, and I will use the most conservative ones if my buddy has a diferetn set.

Thanks again.

Quarrior:
I'd go with whichever tables were the most conservative, thus safer.

Devils advocate time...

They are both valid tables so you can dive either. Just like a computer, do you take it to the limit or add a cushion? Do you pick a conservative algorithum or a liberal?

I think you need to look at the overall puicture. If you are well protectedthermally, well hydrated, in good physical shape and making your single weekly dive maybe the more liberal is a good choice.

If you're carrying a few pounds, will be chilled, have not been hydrating well and are doing multiple dives or diving on consecutive days the conservatibe table would add a safety margin.

Pete

spectrum:
They are both valid tables so you can dive either. Just like a computer, do you take it to the limit or add a cushion? Do you pick a conservative algorithum or a liberal?

I think you need to look at the overall puicture. If you are well protectedthermally, well hydrated, in good physical shape and making your single weekly dive maybe the more liberal is a good choice.

If you're carrying a few pounds, will be chilled, have not been hydrating well and are doing multiple dives or diving on consecutive days the conservatibe table would add a safety margin.
I agree with the above, but IMO what is even more important is the ascent profile.

In other words, to me, the table calculations are just another way of estimating how heavily loaded one is. There isn't really any fundamental difference between being a few minutes into decompression and being a few minutes within NDL. In both cases, one is very heavily loaded, and a good ascent with plenty of time spent shallow is the best way to add a cushion.

spacemanspiff1974:
What ever happened to the older Naui table that I used in the late 80's and early 90's? It was square and had three small square tables with which to calculate your residual nitrogen group.

I picked up a newer Naui table without really taking a look at it recently. The thing is crap. There is no group calculation. It is completely arbitrary and not flexible. The kicker is that underneath the Naui sign it says "safety through education".
How is this table providing me with any sort of education?

While on the subject of dive tables, what do people reccomend for decompression diving or multiple deeper dives in a single day?
The tables are the same as they have been. It sounds like you picked up a RGMB set of tables. They are a different model and only allow for 3 dives a day. It is hardly NAUI's or anyone elses fault that you bought something without even looking at it.

"Safety through education" is NAUI's motto, not something the tables are promising.

Joe

NAUI´s RGBM tables are VERY easy, ideal for inexperienced divers.
Choose a depth, see how much time you can spend at the botton, surface wait 1 hour, see how deep you can go on the 2nd dive and how long it will be......

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom