Diving the Phillipines in March

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Will do Cim thanks for the info. I've seen a few posts about Bohol so I'll have to check it out. What's the primary type of diving for Bohol, muck, reef, pelagics?

Ok after perusing many threads and getting great suggestions from many people, here is my current planned itinerary. let me know if you think this is too extensive or if you think I should change the travel order. I'm only going to book the first destination in advance and book the rest as we decide to arrive. Is that a good idea for diving around Cebu in March?

Arrive Cebu direct on 24 or 25FEB, stay overnight.
Travel to Malapascua, most likely book with Evolution for 3-5 days
Travel to Moalboal, dive 3-5 days, not sure who to book with yet possibly Nelson
Travel back to Cebu take ferry to Negros and on to Mike's at Daiun (any suggestions on travel from ferry terminal to Mike's?)
Dive Mike's 3 days
Take ferry to Leyte and dive 3 days at ??? (whale sharks hopefully).
spend a couple of down days in Cebu or PG then fly to Sipadan

Suggestions and comments would be appreciated.

I've only spent 8 weeks in the PI (2 trips) so I'm far from an expert but since you're open to comments... :wink:

That's a helluva lot to cram into 2 weeks in the PI, IMO. I'm planning on going back in May 2012 for a month long trip and I'm only considering 3 diving destinations.

Regardless of what you decide, please be sure to post a trip report and pics. :)

Arrive Cebu direct on 24 or 25FEB, stay overnight.
Travel to Malapascua, most likely book with Evolution for 3-5 days
Travel to Moalboal, dive 3-5 days, not sure who to book with yet possibly Nelson
Travel back to Cebu take ferry to Negros and on to Mike's at Daiun (any suggestions on travel from ferry terminal to Mike's?)
Dive Mike's 3 days
Take ferry to Leyte and dive 3 days at ??? (whale sharks hopefully).
spend a couple of down days in Cebu or PG then fly to Sipadan
I certainly won't do it as it is too hectic. Getting there is half the fun BUT.....
1. Travel to Malapascua via Maya.
2. From Maya there is a daily ferry to Leyte in the morning and then onwards to Sogod Bay via Ormoc and Maasin. This will be a long jouney.
3. From Maasin/Bato in Southern Leyte there is a ferry to Ubay in Bohol and then proceed(bus) to Tabilaren and finally Alona Beach.
4. Ferry from Tabilaren to Dumaguette.
5. Ferry from Dumaguette to Bato(Cebu Island) and then to Moalboal(Nelson gets my vote).

14 days to cover so many places!! I assume you like packing and unpacking and you do not own any equipments at all. I can't see myself washing and drying my kit every 2-3 days over 2 wks.
Have fun.

Thanks Centrals and annasea,
You're right, when I remembered that most of the travelling in between will take at a min 1 day, I realize I will have to extend my stay. I have approx. 5 weeks, of which I was going to include Sipadan and Bali. I'm going to have to re-think, I don't want to rush around for the whole 5 weeks, I might need to go back to work to get some rest:cool2:

Centrals, what time does the ferry leave Maya for Leyte? Where does it land in Leyte and how to you get from there to Sogod Bay? Or do you have a link I can use to find this info.

Thanks,

Who are you diving with in Sogod Bay, Terryb? They should be able to tell you the best way to get from the ferry terminal to the resort. I dived with Sogod Bay Scuba Resort and they've got a private driver who transports their customers from the terminal. I'm guessing the other resorts would have a similar set-up with someone. (Not necessarily the cheapest way depending on the number of passengers, but very convenient.)

Centrals, what time does the ferry leave Maya for Leyte? Where does it land in Leyte and how to you get from there to Sogod Bay? Or do you have a link I can use to find this info.

Thanks,
I could not find the respective link BUT it was mentioned here not too long ago.
If you type "Ferry from Maya to Leyte in Philippines" on Google you should find a thread on Lonely Planet about a trip from Maya to San Isidro in Leyte.
The ferry is supposed to leave Maya at 10.00am and take 2hrs to San Isidro. This place is right the opposite end from Sogod Bay. You need to go to Ormoc first adn then......long journey.
Sorry I couldn't be much helpful on your question.
Good luck.

Go to the last thread in this page " 2 months diving in Philippines Jan & Feb" and the link is on #16.

Thanks Anasea and Centrals,
I was definitely too ambitious with my dive list for PI, I've talked with my buddy and we're going to cut back to 2 (Malapascua, Moalboal) possibly 3 sites (Dauin). I'll have to leave Leyte for the next trip as the travel time seems pretty significant for that location. Thanks for the help and up front comments.

Does anyone have a suggestion for where to spend a couple of days, off-gas time from diving, nice beach, possible snorkeling, cold pops with some night life and mid-range prices close to Cebu? Planning on flying from Cebu to KKK after.

Cheers,

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom