Diving the Spiegel Grove

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tony387

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi All:

I will be diving the Spiegel Grove in a couple of weeks. First part of October, to be exact. It's my first time diving in Key Largo and I'm really looking forward to it. I have booked dives with Conch Republic on two consecutive days, diving the SG one day and the Eagle the next. I was wondering if anyone had any advice, suggestions, helpful comments, etc., for a first time Keys diver. I am traveling as a single diver, so I have arranged to hire a DM/Instructor to dive with me. I have about 150 dives under my belt, but other than a few dives on the Texas Clipper, my experience has been limited to lakes around Texas.

Thanks in advance...

I dove the Spiegel Grove and the Duane in July. I can't say that I have any specific advice, except to tell you about my dives.

The Spiegel Grove was great. The current was enough that I wanted stay in the lee or close to the deck. I did have to make one longer swim against the current to get back to the line. I was really sucking wind. If I had my druthers, I would have descended to the deck (slightly protected) to make this trek, but my insta-buddy was on air, and close enough to his NDL that staying up higher was wise. If you have a Nitrox cert, use it. If not, consider getting it. NDL of air is the limiting factor on this dive for most people.

I don't normally wear gloves, but for these dives it was smart. I did not want to spend lots of money on expensive gloves that are rarely used, so I bought some semi-disposable Gorilla Gloves from Lowes. They are thin stretchy lycra material, with the palms and fingers dipped in flexible rubber. They offer moderate protection, are cool and comfortable, and very cheap. For me, they prevented some fire-coral burns and scratches.

We penetrated the Spiegel Grove though several different entrances. The depth of penetration was short, there was always a visible exit and ambient light, but there was lots to see. A good strong flashlight makes it much more enjoyable. Being of the first few to penetrate is better, since some people (me included) can't help but stir up the silt a little. I tried to be very careful and slowly frog kick and coast as much as possible, but I was far from perfect.

About the Duane: I have no idea how often this happens, and no idea how willing the Captain is to repeat this method. Maybe it is a common occurrence. During our ride out to the Duane, the Capt heard from other boats that the current on the Duane was strong and everyone was choosing alternative sites. He elected to investigate anyway. After arrival, it was decided to dive anyway. I was told that the decision was based on the following:

1. There were no other dive boats at the site, and the Capt could choose any line/buoy, and maneuver as needed.

2. There was a good DM/diver ratio.

3. All the divers had been deemed to be of sufficient competence, as observed by the DMs on previous days/dives.

Everyone was advised to be ready for a quick entry and descent (like some drift dives I've done). Messing around with missing cameras or mask straps would not be helpful. We were all ready and seated like a line of paratroopers ready for a drop. The Captain and crew tied the stern (yes stern) to the up-current buoy. We all went in rather quickly, and started down the line to make space for more above us. The current was the strongest I've seen (but I'm not very worldly). I felt like a wind-sock, at the mercy of the elements. But, by the time we reached the Duane, it was more mild and manageable.

The time on the Duane was excellent. The visibility was very good. The line we descended was on the Duane's bow. There was a huge grouper at the bottom of the bow that could only be seen by doing a DeCaprio over the gunwale. Then, in small groups, we explored the wreck from bow to stern, going back and forth from port to starboard many times. I don't remember the penetrations as well as the Spiegel, but we did go inside many times. We only had to stay even (hover) with the current occasionally, usually just swam enough to slow our drift.

The timing was perfect, as many of us reached the stern at 1/3 tank, and ready to ascent the stern line. When we broke the surface, we found the dive boat with a granny line waiting, moored with it's bow to the buoy. Carefully sliding the granny line the stern was easy and getting back aboard was reasonably effortless.

It was really cool that the Capt could move the dive boat to the down-current buoy for us. It was sort of a Boat-Drift-Wreck dive! If there had been others at the site, it would not have worked, since the down-current buoy would likely have been occupied.

I was one of the first to complete my safety stop, so I ascended a few feet and snapped this photo of the gaggle of divers below me.

IMG_0317.jpg

We have the Spiegel Grove in our eDiving scuba diving simulator. You can use it to get familiar with the site before diving it for real.:wink:

I dove with Conch Republic over the weekend and did the Spiegel Grove and Eagle along with a number of other dive sites too. You'll enjoy both wrecks and I have the highest regard for CRD. Adrian (the Captain) and Jason (sometimes Captain, sometimes DM) are two great individuals as is Admiral Brenda that works the front desk.

Gr8jab already has some pretty good advice, I'd add a couple of things.

Rent the 100 cf tanks: the extra cost will be worth it since you can get pretty long dives on both sites if you don't stay too deep for too long and you have a decent nitrox mix. Some of the swim-throughs that Gr8jab discussed on the S. Grove are only 70 feet deep or so. On my last few S. Grove dives, I've taken a plunge deeper at the very start of the dives, but then spent a fair amount of time in the shallower swim-throughs: its very fun. I've completed several 50 minute dives (including the ascent) using my own 120 or 100cf tanks. It's more typical for the dive boat to remain attached to the same mooring line the whole dive but Adrian has moved the boat to a 'down-wind' mooring ball on a couple of occasions when I've been out with Conch Republic: that is a nice way to see the wreck. BTW, 'hot-drops' like the one jr8jab described on the Duane are uncommon but occasionally operators will do them if the boat has experienced divers.

Current on the wrecks can be non-existent or quite stout. When I dove the S. Grove in July there was literally no current on two of the days: one could descend directly from the dive boat to the wreck and never touch the mooring line. Last week, current was pretty strong and one had to use a fair bit of upper body strength to pull oneself along the granny line and the mooring line down to the wreck. If you end up having to pull yourself down the line, don't kick your fins or you'll blow through a lot of gas: just pull yourself down with your arms. Don't be afraid to scrub a dive if the current looks scary to you: several, rather large and out-of-shape, divers wisely did that this last weekend. Like the previous post indicates, there are plenty of places on wreck structure to stay out of the current once you're down. This last weekend on the Eagle, the surface current was pretty strong, but once we got below 50 feet or so, the current backed off and was quite light on the wreck itself.

If you don't have a lot of divers on the boat, request a drift dive along one of the medium depth or deep reefs. We did several this last weekend on Betty's Reef, Conch Wall and Deep Molasses Reef and they were all a blast.

The Fish House has some pretty good food. When I'm solo, I like to sit at the bar and chat with the bar tender.

A non-diving friend joined me in the Keys Saturday night and we found the perfect place to watch some college football in the evening: D-Hooker.

Make sure you take some time to watch the sunset over the bay: it's beautiful.

I love my 2 or 3 trips to the Keys each year: it's such a relaxing place to spend a few days. And I almost always dive with CRD on most trips. I hope you enjoy your dives and time too.

Lots of good information. I appreciate you guys taking the time to respond. I am certain it will be a wonderful trip.

Thank you

I just made 4 dives on the Spiegel off the M/V Spree wreck trek, as good or better than my last dives in 2009. Go to the bow and on the main deck, take the hatch nearest the center of the 3 on the starboard side. You'll be in a long, very open passage way. About 3/4 of the way to the end of the structure, there is a hatch on the right that will take you down under the well deck. After exploring, you can finish up the way back the way you came or exit directly from the well deck. The cranes will be right in front of you. Alternatively, you can go back to the structure and go in and out of multiple decks. Don't miss the Snoopy painting on the floor of one of the main passageways across the ship. A great dive, enjoy

have hand protection and wear full body protection like a skin. the down line is terrible if you are going to touch it. Its a nice dive once you get down there and the currents can be rough at times if you are not use to currents.

OMG I love the Spiegel & the Duane!! They are two iconic wreck dives that any Advanced diver coming to the Keys should do! Conch is a great shop, I dive with them when I do the Eagle. The Duane & Spiegel are a bit of a boat ride for them coming from Tavernier, so I normal dive with Horizon Divers for something that far North. You will love it though!!

Watch the weather and come prepped. Some Bonine can go a long way. Gloves are a great thing to have just in case you get a stern ball on the Spiegel (covered in red algea and fire coral). The current can be tricky on some days as previous posts said, but on just as many days its calm and easily manageable. Bring your A game!

My first dives on both wrecks were guided. I spent the extra money for the private guide but it was 16 different ways to worth it!! They took me to see Snoopy on the Spiegel & all the turtle hiding holes on the Duane.

Have fun!!!

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom