Diving the Wreck of the Ruby E - Video

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rainer

Contributor
Reaction score
Last week, Jennifer and I were able to get in four straight days of diving in San Diego. Our last day saw us on the Lois Ann for dives on the Yukon and Ruby E. Turns out kathydee and her friend, Rick, were also on the charter.

A group of eight of us had done the Yukon the day before, and again, conditions on her were decent. We descended into 20-25' of visibility, and soon we were scootering toward the bow. Slowly, we kicked our way under the massive ship. After that, we toured both the forward and rear guns, before spending some time on the upper structure. We did 40 minutes on the bottom before heading up the mooring line. We were treated to a dive bombing sea lion who stayed with us from 50' to the surface. What fun!

After a few bites to eat and topping the cylinders off, we were ready for our dive on the Ruby E. She's a former US Coast Guard cutter (formerly "Cyane"), nearly 170' in length, now sitting in about 80' of water. We'd dived her earlier in the year, but had a miserable 3-5' of vis then. This trip would be significantly better (around 15-20'; much better on the port side for some reason). The scooters are a bit overkill on this smaller wreck, but I wanted some video, and well, they're just plain fun. We explored from bow to stern, and back again, making a couple very light swim-through penetrations (the middle deck is quite open). This is a very pretty ship, just covered in strawberry anemones. Large schools of blacksmith were picking off the few squid that still remained after an apparent large lovefest (the sand was covered in patches of squid eggs). After another 40 minute bottom time, up we went, before making the short boat ride back to the harbor.

[vimeo]18374847[/vimeo]

Cool Vid. Looks to have been a great day. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Fun week of diving! While it wasn't the best conditions...I still had a great time. San Diego has some of the best diving around.

The Ruby E ended up being a pretty awesome dive. Last time I was on it, there was about 5' of viz and 6' of surge (well, it felt that way). Lots of great life on the wreck...including lots of little nudis that Chris wasn't able to get on video. Definitely a wreck that I'd like to dive again!!

Cool Vid. Looks to have been a great day. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Appreciate the kind words. Was shocked we managed a few days of good diving between all the rain that's been falling locally the past few weeks. Fingers crossed for this coming weekend...

San Diego has some of the best diving around.

Indeed. Great wrecks, beautiful reefs. Hope to get down there for more dives this year.

Last time I was on it, there was about 5' of viz and 6' of surge

Pretty much the only diving I don't like: where the surge is greater than the visibility. Makes for an interesting time as you hurtle toward the unknown. :)

Nice meeting you and Jen. What a fun day of wreck diving. Man, I really love the Ruby E...it's such a fun and pretty little wreck loaded with gorgeous growth. Your video and music selection really captures that. Thanks for sharing.

It was a great day and a fun suprise to see you and Jen on the boat!

Thanks for the video - great memories!

Nice meeting you and Jen. What a fun day of wreck diving. Man, I really love the Ruby E...it's such a fun and pretty little wreck loaded with gorgeous growth. Your video and music selection really captures that. Thanks for sharing.

Nice meeting you, too, Rick. Glad you enjoyed the video. It really is a pleasant wreck. It's small enough to feel intimate, yet large enough to offer plenty of unique areas to explore. The color on her is just fantastic.

It was a great day and a fun suprise to see you and Jen on the boat!

Thanks for the video - great memories!

Thanks, Kathy. Was a nice surprise to see you loading gear onto the boat that morning. Shame you couldn't make the charter the day before. Sounds like you had a very successful trip south, though, in any case!

Great video, thanks for sharing!

Appreciate it, Keith!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom