Diving Tips From Experienced SB Divers to nOObies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Exercise and stay physically fit. I see divers gasping for air and that can barely pull themselves out of the water at the end of a dive. Workout three times a week by swimming or running your heart will thank you and your air will last longer. Fat holds nitrogen longer than muscle. On this same subject no one wants to see a fat man in a Speedo!

Those folks that float effortlessly and look like they are "one with the force" are. Keep working on it you'll get there, and once there the rest comes a lot more naturally.

It is not necessary to swim faster then the shark, just faster then your dive buddy. Just kidding. Thirty years ago the first rule of diving was " whatever happens, don't panic. Stop, think, react". Its still a good rule. The second rule was, don't forget rule number one.

Jim

hook up with an active, supportive, fun group of folks. my dive buddies are a wonderful gang of different personalities, but all are respectful of my newness and helpful with advice to improve.

Know your own and your buddies gear configuration so well that you can don/doff and everything in between in zero vis. in the dark. Someday you may have to.

Be wary of complacency, it will sneak up and bite you. oops is that two?

I you love diving, buy your gear immediately. Don't wait until your "more experienced." Dive shops don't have regular "rental customers." If you make the financial commitment to own your own gear, you will dive, if you don't you won't.

Develop pre-dive, dive and post dive procedures and follow them religiously.
Just like the captain of an airline does his preflight, in-flight checks and post flight check.

Even though it may seem "noobieish" to some at the dive, and you may come to feel in time that it's laborious and unnecessary, it can and will save your life and the life of your buddy.

Test out lots of different kinds of gear before you buy. You may think you "love" what the shop is renting you, but until you try out different styles, you won't know. Jacket, Back-Inflate, Backplate & Wing, they all have different features and characteristics some people love and some people hate.

Experiment before you buy. Your wallet will thank you later. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom