Diving Tips From Experienced SB Divers to nOObies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I suspect that we just have different ways of doing things and that neither of us will convince the other to change our ways. That said, this was a request for tips for a n00b and, as such, warrants explanation when requested...

Walter:
Why would you turn your valve off when you are trying to turn it on?

I've read more than one dive incident that involved somebody, under some stress of the moment, turning their tank valve the wrong way. Sometimes it stems from some odd set of circumstances but, other times, it's as simple as being in on uncomfortably-arranged boat, trying to turn on your tank from the wrong side with the wrong hand. Dive incidents, like airline crahses, aren't usually caused by a single screw-up. They are the result of a cascading sequence of problems. I think that you're less likely to end up a statistic at the tail end of one of these chains if you have a regular routine that involves multiple layers of safety.

Why would I put air in my BC before I go down? That air will stop me from going where I want to go.

Well, you can go in negatively bouyant if you want to. I've done it when the dive conditions required it. In general, however, I like to go into the water and meet my buddy at the surface. We give each other the okay followed by a thumbs-down and we descend to start our dive. There's more margin for error that way.

Let me hypethosize a situation: You're on a dive boat and the dive master has filled your tank, connected your reg, turned-on the tank to make sure of the fill, and then turned it off -- that happens all the time. Let's say the seas are rough and someone falls on deck. There's a lot of commotion but the person is okay so the dive day goes on. You screw-up and don't realize that *you* didn't turn-on your tank -- you do, however, look at the gauges and see a full tank. This situation normally gives you a few of breaths of air before you run dry. If you go in negative, you'll be at 20 feet or so with no air in your lungs, your tank, or your BC. It's certainly possible to come back from this situation but I'd rather go into a dive with a couple more layers of safety under my belt.

Of course, that's just the way I like to dive. Everyone has their own set of priorities and the levels of risk they are willing to withstand. If we got rid of all risk, we'd never dive, never drive, and (in my opinion) never thrive. Still, if it costs me so little to reduce my risk as to have this regular routine - I'm okay with that small price.

All that said, have a great day and enjoy the diving!

Code Monkey:
....Let me hypethosize a situation: You're on a dive boat and the dive master has filled your tank, connected your reg, turned-on the tank to make sure of the fill, and then turned it off -- that happens all the time. Let's say the seas are rough and someone falls on deck. There's a lot of commotion but the person is okay so the dive day goes on. You screw-up and don't realize that *you* didn't turn-on your tank -- you do, however, look at the gauges and see a full tank. ....

Does this Really happen? Are there truely people out there who don't setup their own rigs, but depend on a DM to do it? I mean people who have 'real' C cards not one from a resort course. If so do these same people have a person on board to wipe their *** for them too?

Some of them do, yeah. They're those priced vacations. I've seen them before. Not sure personally if I'd take advantage of that service, since I like the practice and the self-reliance. But to each his own. Won't knock anyone who likes the pampering.
I must admit, though, it *is* kind when the DMs or deck crew member gives a little pull up on the BCD as you're standing fully geared on your 3rd dive of the day and a tiny bit tired.

I'm probably just asking for it here, but...

I'm not talking about letting the DM setup my rig -- I always setup my own rig. When boat diving, I'm used to the following procedure. After my first dive, I put my rig in its spot and pull the reg off the tank. This signals the dive crew that my tank needs a refill. When they're done, they put the reg back on the tank to signal that it's full. Then, when I do the next dive, I recheck my configuration.

Code Monkey:
I'm probably just asking for it here, but...

I'm not talking about letting the DM setup my rig -- I always setup my own rig. When boat diving, I'm used to the following procedure. After my first dive, I put my rig in its spot and pull the reg off the tank. This signals the dive crew that my tank needs a refill. When they're done, they put the reg back on the tank to signal that it's full. Then, when I do the next dive, I recheck my configuration.
Nobody around here does that. You bring however many tanks you need for the diving you're doing--no one fills tanks on the boat, mainly due to the lack of a compressor on board.
If it's a rec trip and a 3-tank dive, then you bring 3 tanks. Simple as that. Personally I prefer it this way--I alone handle my own gear. Plus, I know exactly what kind of fills my tanks get, so I know what's in them and what pressures I'm starting out with. I'm not relying on some idiot DM to fill my tanks for me. :shakehead

Around here DMs don't hold your hand and guide you. You're brought to the site, you hop in, make the dive, and surface. No one's going to do anything for you or check or set up your gear for you. In fact I'm not even sure you could qualify most of the people on the boat as "divemasters." Perhaps "mates"--they anchor you in to the wreck, help you jump in and reboard the boat and that's about it.

As a noob, here are a few tips that may help:

1) Strive to better your diving skills everytime you are underwater. Buoyancy is not an easy thing to master and so take your time. Don't be embarassed...and if unsure, ask more experienced divers--chances are, you will find someone who is willing to help as the diving community is just one of the most supportive groups I have ever seen :)

2) Do a buddy check, ALWAYS. You never know what you could have forgotten.

3) Stick to the dive plan and never leave your buddy's side. When there's an OOA situation, goodluck getting to your buddy on time (before panicking and all) when you're 20 feet away. No one wants to hear about badly injured divers. DIVE SAFELY.

4) Lastly, your best weapon underwater is being well aware of your environment :)

Boy, there's been a lot of good advise on this thread - probably too much as there's so many posts to go through. But for my input, one important tip I give my students is to always take responsibility for your own kit.

What I mean is, it's your life strapped to that tank, so don't assume anything. If you are dry suit diving, then you check your zipper - even if it's been closed by your buddy. If you are diving doubles, check your valves. If you are diving mixed gas, check your mix. And yes, check your buddy and if you see something then tell him/her, but never assume that someone else will be your guardian angel, 'cause that's when trouble starts....

And don't forget to check your head - that's the thing that usually malfunctions second.

Read the Encylopedia of Recreational Diving, you get much more out of it when you read it in your leisure time and do it after you have a few dives so you can relate to most of the topics. It covers all there is to learn in Recreational diving but you cant beat actual diving for the real education

Paraphrased from an essay by Jarrod Jablonski:

The risk of diving should come from the environment and not from any lack of preparedness on the part of the diver.

From HBDiveGirl:

Dive to stay found.
Bring the fewest possible problems with you.
Bring your own fun.
Be kind.
Protect yourself and your team.
Attempt gracefulness.
Appreciate.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom