Diving Western Caribbean via Cruise Ship

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tim Ingersoll:
I have dove NCL and Celebrity. The ship sponsored dives are short on time, short on depth and cattle boats. You will have a mediocre dive at best. Try going on cruisecritic.com and locating other divers on your ship. You can then charter a boat at your port to be waiting for you when you get off the ship. I did that and four of us chartered our own boat from Aldora in Cozumel. It was by far the best dive experience of the NCL itinerary (Grand Cayman, Roatan, Belize and Cozumel). Good luck!

I recently got back from cruise on Holland America (HAL). Ports : Tortola, St Thomas, and their private Island Half Moon Cay.
I don't consider any dive mediocre.
The comment ship sponsored dives are short on time, depth and cattle boats, in my opinion are only half true.

In Tortola, the ship used "Dive Tortola" I think we had 4 of us on a 36 ft, Newton. Gosh! we were bumbing into each other. Depth?? Depth does not = good dive! Matter of fact, best life is in the 60 ft range.
(We did 70-80 on the Rhone)

St Thomas, now there was a crowd. I was the only one who signed up from my ship. The operator, Underwater Safaris, did combine two ship groups, so there were 4 divers. We did share the boat w/ a discover diving group, but they went in shore while we did our dive.

On the private island, there is only one operator, the company's. Again it was crowded. The captian, the DM and me. This was a shallow dive, only abt 27 ft, but still interesting. Most of all it was wet, and beat sitting on the beach (it was overcast that day).
A cruise is not a dive trip. It is a trip I get to go diving on.

I'll save my challenging dives for home.

A cruise is not a dive trip. It is a trip I get to go diving on.
Ya are so right !!
But you know that's what's it all about eh!
I've been on 8 maybe 9 cruises and it you keep it it all focused
you still win

I've been diving off cruise ships a number of times at various locations (including the ones you are asking about).\

Research the various dive ops via this and other scuba related boards. Then contact them via e-mail/phone. The dive experiences will be substantially better than what you get by booking through the ship (though the price will be very similar.

I dove with Alison Dennis (scubawithalison.com) in Cozumel and was very pleased with her operation. E-mail her and she will set up the schedule for your arrival and make sure you get back to the cruise ship on time. Had very nice dives with her.

In Grand Cayman, I dove with Neptune's Divers (Caymancasey here on this board). Also, a very good operation, easy to get to their pick-up point from the ship and then they took me back to the pier.

In Costa Maya, I dove with one of the ops that advertised by holding up a sign at the pier. The dive here was not as good as Cozumel or GC, but it wasn't because of the operator.

However, be aware that diving with a private operator will provide a better dive experience, there is always the possibility that you MAY NOT get back to the boat on time (the joke is: bring a camera on your dive trip so you can get a picture of the cruise ship pulling out of the harbor without you)

If you are relatively aggressive about starting your dive trip as soon as you get into port you should have plenty of slack time at the end of the dive day to insure that you get back.

The two operators that I mentioned have lots of experience at this and should not be a problem.

If you are too nervous about getting back on time, book through the ship's operator. The diving may not be quite as good (but any diving is better than no diving, right?) but at least you don't have to worry about stranding your cruise partner/partners on the ship without your company.

Good Luck

Rich Hagelin

I found that the rule was publicized but not enforced. They checked my C-card but not my dive log.

Tim Ingersoll:
I found that the rule was publicized but not enforced. They checked my C-card but not my dive log.

Holland America did ask, but didn't check any log book.

BTW: I never carry my log book with me. Its all logged in my watch, and computers. Printed book stays at home.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom