Diving Western Caribbean via Cruise Ship

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rcasey

Reaction score
First off no I'm not going to dive the ship's program. As always I am researching my options for land based operations and my options with them. I have done extensive reading of prior posts, but most relate to dedicated trips in one area, not cruising

What I am up against is the time between our arrival and departure at each location.

My schedule:Royal Caribbean - Grandeur of the Seas
Cozumel - 7am - 4pm
Grand Cayman - 10am - 5:30pm
Costa Maya - 12pm - 1am

Our times really restrict us. It seems with just about every dive center that we will only be able to get in a 1 tank dive. That is unless we have a private boat. Great idea but very expensive for just the 2 of us.

The packet from Royal Caribbean offers 2 dives at both Cozumel and Grand Cayman. I have to say, it's tempting. $80 for 2 dives. Do they use land based operations?

Any ideas, especially those of you that have cruised and dived in this area.

Much appreciated,

rcasey

I have dove NCL and Celebrity. The ship sponsored dives are short on time, short on depth and cattle boats. You will have a mediocre dive at best. Try going on cruisecritic.com and locating other divers on your ship. You can then charter a boat at your port to be waiting for you when you get off the ship. I did that and four of us chartered our own boat from Aldora in Cozumel. It was by far the best dive experience of the NCL itinerary (Grand Cayman, Roatan, Belize and Cozumel). Good luck!

GOTS calls on Grand Cayman on Tuesday which is typically a busy day. With your late arrival, I would suggest either going with the ship's operator or else doing shore diving.

For shore diving, you can catch any of the buses to the Turtle Farm and then dive Turtle Reef at Divetech - located next door to the Turtle Farm. This site is washed out with moderate to strong northerlie winds.

Other shore dives can be found a short walk or cab ride south of the cruise ship docks. These sites should be accessible if your ship arrives at Georgetown.

If your ship arrives at Spotts Bay, then the only good option is finding a boat dive, probably with the ship's chosen operator.

I would second Aldora in Coz; the experience is 1st class. I just did the NCL Sea cruise and, against my better judgement, was talked out of going back to Aldora based on price. My mistake...

We dove Belize and Roatan /w non-NCL local operators and was very happy, although you have other ports of call, obviously... Enjoy...

jwh

I just got back from a Western Caribbean cruise on the Mariner of the Seas. Since the unrest in Haiti prevented our first port, they stopped in Nassau instead. Had a great dive, booked through the ship. Fortunately for us, we did book through the ship, using Nassau Scuba Center. Despite the fact that both dives that day were on the short side, the DO was late getting us back to the ship, however, the ship waited for us. One reason to book through the ship. Our next stop was Jamaica -- we elected not to dive, as Grand Cayman and Cozumel were also on the agenda, and we had to spend some time with our wives. Two days later, we sailed right past Grand Cayman -- too rough to tender to shore, so no dives there. The next day, the announcement on the ship was that all water related excursions through the ship had been cancelled due to bad weather...including our dive! We were able to get off the ship, and located a private dive shop that took us on at the last minute. It seems that while some dive sites were too rough, others were just fine. One reason to not book thorugh the ship. We ended up spending within $10 of the ship price for the dives, when you include the cab rides and rental of BCD and Reg.

This was my first time trying to cruise Dive, and I think that in the future I will keep my cruises and dive vacations separate.

I am going to be on the Voyager in May. I haven't been in 9 years so any diving is better than no diving to me. I am hoping that they stop at either Coco Kaye or perhaps a second day in Ocho Rios due to the unrest in Haiti. I promised my wife to do the dolphin excursion there....so right now I'm only saddled up to dive the Grand Caymens. I hope to also do the Bahamas but RCCL hasn't posted excursions for the Bahamas yet. My biggest concern, being my first cruise, is being left there if something happens. That would really suck....

darylm74:
I am going to be on the Voyager in May. I haven't been in 9 years so any diving is better than no diving to me. I am hoping that they stop at either Coco Kaye or perhaps a second day in Ocho Rios due to the unrest in Haiti. I promised my wife to do the dolphin excursion there....so right now I'm only saddled up to dive the Grand Caymens. I hope to also do the Bahamas but RCCL hasn't posted excursions for the Bahamas yet. My biggest concern, being my first cruise, is being left there if something happens. That would really suck....

FYI, NCL, at least, would not allow a diver to register who didn't have a dive in the past year. So, you really have two choices if your cruise line decides to enforce such a rule... An interim refreasher, or...

Either way, hope you have fun...

jwh

yogi_tala:
FYI, NCL, at least, would not allow a diver to register who didn't have a dive in the past year. So, you really have two choices if your cruise line decides to enforce such a rule... An interim refreasher, or...

Either way, hope you have fun...

jwh

I already got it all set up. I am attending a few sessions of an OW class with an instructor that teaches at the local community college. He had two specific ones he wanted me to attend and he also ended up being a great source for equipment and tank inspections. Then two weeks before the cruise I'm heading back home to TN (live in PA now) and taking a couple lake dives with my instructor. Luckily RCCL had it posted on the excursions that you needed a dive in the last 2 years. Hopefully all goes well....just got to get used to my new gear. Thanks...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom