Diving western Lake Ontario

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Magicman

New
Reaction score
Hello all. I have Just joined this group. Hoping for a little info on diving western lake Ontario. I know Tobermory is a much better place to dive but that 4 hour drive simply eliminates those spur of the moment or evening dives. Was reading here that some of you folks dive off of Centenial Park. I assume thats the centenial park off hamilton harbour/Burlington? If so what is that water like there now. I realize that it used to be very polluted. But seeing as our friends the zebra muscle has worked wonders everywhere else, maybe he has made that area diveable. If it is Diveable what are the depths like. My son is taking he open water course this spring so would like to have a place to literaly get his feet wet, and practice. Thanks

Hello

I beleave people were refering to Centenial park in Barrie Ontario, were you will find a wreck called the Morrsion, with a guide line from shore out to its bow.

Amobeus

Hello and welcome!
There are a bunch of places where you can go diving with your junior; Tobermory (is cold most of the time), Kingston (nice to go there for few days), Bowmanville (1.5 h from TO), Kirkfield (1.5 h from TO), Lake Erie (few hours driving from TO)... and so on.
In downtown Barrie there is a wreck of a paddle wheeler called J.C Morrison. This place is a pleasant nice dive with a good visibility most of the time (10-30ft). Watch out for boaters they have this b ad habit on taking the buoys as turning point.
Here you can find more info about places you can dive, website is not complete but it gives you a rough idea of what’s on. Stick with the board, you’ll find what you need.

http://robertkuzel.tripod.com/thefascinatingunderworld/id3.html

Safe Diving

Magicman:
Hello all. I have Just joined this group. Hoping for a little info on diving western lake Ontario. I know Tobermory is a much better place to dive but that 4 hour drive simply eliminates those spur of the moment or evening dives. Was reading here that some of you folks dive off of Centenial Park. I assume thats the centenial park off hamilton harbour/Burlington? If so what is that water like there now. I realize that it used to be very polluted. But seeing as our friends the zebra muscle has worked wonders everywhere else, maybe he has made that area diveable. If it is Diveable what are the depths like. My son is taking he open water course this spring so would like to have a place to literaly get his feet wet, and practice. Thanks

I believe there is also diving in Trout Lake, or Innerkip Quarry which shouldn't be too far away from Waterloo... never dove there but I'm sure someone on this board has... anyone... Bueller?!?!?

Magicman:
Was reading here that some of you folks dive off of Centenial Park. I assume thats the centenial park off hamilton harbour/Burlington? If so what is that water like there now. I realize that it used to be very polluted. But seeing as our friends the zebra muscle has worked wonders everywhere else, maybe he has made that area diveable. If it is Diveable what are the depths like. My son is taking he open water course this spring so would like to have a place to literaly get his feet wet, and practice. Thanks

Hi. Hamiltons beach is located on Beach Blvd. just off of Centennial Parkway. The park there is called Confederation Park. Two years ago there was a wreck found on shore which had been "un earthed" after some foul weather. It has since been re-burried but then a wreck was located just offshore close to that site. Its about 150 feet offshore. I have dove it on several occasions while attending an archeology course and then helping out at another. Members of H.A.D.A (Hamilton Area Divers Association) have a a permit to survey the site and have been diving there a fair bit over the last two years. The problem with the site is its in about 10 feet of water and this end of the Lake is quite shallow. I have swam straight out from shore both from this site and also from the Oakville area and after about 500 meters you are lucky to hit 15 feet of depth. Bottom composition off of Hamilton is sand with the odd weed. Bottom composition off of Oakville is solid rock. The bottom is mostly flat grey shale like rock with the odd boulder here and there and no silt. More interesting than the sand bottom. But hey...at Confederation Park theres a wreck. Its only in 10 feet of water but if you got nothin better to do and no time to drive to a descent wreck site then what the heck! These two areas are about the closest I would get to Hamilton Harbour under water. I try to take care of my gear and my health!

You may be interested in a quarry that I play in and teach in off of Lake Erie. Check out Sherkston Quarry. It is found at Sherkston Shores . Its a camp ground/ trailer park. Many locals dive here throught the summer. Its opening up as of May 1. It was a working quarry at one time and there are some remains left from that operation. There are two train engines, several train cars and lots of track to follow. Its max depth is about 40 feet. It beats the heck out of Innerkip! Divers must sign in and pay a small fee. Take your cert cards.

SoScuba:
It beats the heck out of Innerkip! QUOTE]

Agreed, I suggest staying away from Innersludge, errrrr I mean Innerkip. Not the nicest place to dive, although it is handy to do a little refeshing every now and then.

SoScuba:
You may be interested in a quarry that I play in and teach in off of Lake Erie. Check out Sherkston Quarry. It is found at Sherkston Shores . Its a camp ground/ trailer park. Many locals dive here throught the summer. Its opening up as of May 1. It was a working quarry at one time and there are some remains left from that operation. There are two train engines, several train cars and lots of track to follow. Its max depth is about 40 feet. It beats the heck out of Innerkip! Divers must sign in and pay a small fee. Take your cert cards.

Anyone know the remp?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom