July-August Ontario Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@divingx thank you, yeah I read around and figured I will be limited to lake ontario and st lawrence river

toby will be pushing it diving wet, doable, but not enjoyable
that's silly talk. I dove toby for a couple years wet before getting a drysuit. If you have a good 7mm you can certainly do the afternoon OW dives, and mess around shore diving. The deeper stuff..... it's nice to be dry.

that's silly talk. I dove toby for a couple years wet before getting a drysuit. If you have a good 7mm you can certainly do the afternoon OW dives, and mess around shore diving. The deeper stuff..... it's nice to be dry
I did my AOW in Toby in October in a 7mm. That was also the time I vowed to get a dry suit during a cold surface interval at the Tugs.

I dove Toby for many years in a 2 piece 7mm wet suit and even did my ice diving course in the same. It really depends on your cold tolerance. I did finally get a dry suit and would not go back. If you plan to dive locally a dry suit is the way to go and you do not need to buy a high end one, I started with a Bare Nexgen and then got a Whites Fusion after a few years.

that's silly talk. I dove toby for a couple years wet before getting a drysuit. If you have a good 7mm you can certainly do the afternoon OW dives, and mess around shore diving. The deeper stuff..... it's nice to be dry.
I don’t see why it’s silly talk. Everyone has different cold tolerance.

I dove Toby for many years in a 2 piece 7mm wet suit and even did my ice diving course in the same. It really depends on your cold tolerance. I did finally get a dry suit and would not go back. If you plan to dive locally a dry suit is the way to go and you do not need to buy a high end one, I started with a Bare Nexgen and then got a Whites Fusion after a few years.
Same. Did the first two times with a 7mm. You're ready to come up at the 18-20 minute mark on the bottom. 3rd and 4th time on the Forest City and Arabia I had my DUI without the heater, I was comfortable at the 40 minute mark still and extended the dive by 10 more on the FC. I got bored on the Arabia 25 minutes in. I'll be back for the new stuff this season with the heated undies and drysuit.

My dive group still goes down to Humber Bay every few weeks and summer temps can be 22 - 23 C. Welland is also warm in the summer with lots of fish in the wreck but it's too far for me to go now that I'm up in Collingwood. You can join my group for Humber dives and we'll be doing some diving up north too from Wiarton to Shanty Bay

What is the temperature in Toby at depth throughout the year (I assume it doesnt change much) ?
And same question for lake ontario?

Couple temps for you from this past weekend (July 1 - 3)

Niagara II @ 23-27M/75-90FT was 7C/45F, and in the engine room.
Forest City @ 40M/130FT was also 7C/45F.
Philo Scoville @ 26M/85FT was 8.8C/48F

In our group 3 dove wet and managed just fine, a bit chilly on the 2nd dive of the day but it is totally doable.
Shallow sites do warm up some. Tugs @ 13M/44FT was 13C

@cleung do you guys have any humber shore dives planned this weekend?
I got a new regular I need to test, so I would gladly join if the invitation still stands!

Back
Top Bottom