Diving with a Buddy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You took me rather literally in this case.

In leading, it means one person decides where and what they do. The route, etc. The other person doesn't. This way 2 folks don't run off on their own. Thats why I specifically stated never leave the side of your dive buddy/leader

In diving, you always maintain visual contact. You cant do that if your buddy is behind you.

You took me rather literally in this case.

In leading, it means one person decides where and what they do. The route, etc. The other person doesn't. This way 2 folks don't run off on their own. Thats why I specifically stated never leave the side of your dive buddy/leader

In diving, you always maintain visual contact. You cant do that if your buddy is behind you.

I did suggest you may have meant this , as I discussed both types... I am glad this was the one you were referring to :)

Something Dan pointed out earlier ... and I always emphasize to my students ... is that if you want to make any changes, get your buddy's attention first ... THEN make the change.

As an example ... you see something interesting off to the side and want to go check it out. Rather than just changing course and assuming your buddy will notice, get their attention first ... point it out ... then go look at it.

People get separated because they make assumptions about what their buddy's going to do ... such as notice that they've stopped or changed direction. Get in the habit of not making that assumption, and instead communicating your intentions first, then making the change. It's no different than signalling your intention on the highway before changing lanes or making a turn ... it's letting the folks who have to interact with you know what you're planning to do. That one, simple step will eliminate virtually all instances of buddy separation.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Are there any cheap noise makers to get your buddies attention? Like those crickets that the 101st used on d-day? etc?

yeah there's all kinds of noise makers. The problem is you can hear the noise but (a) you don't know what it means and (b) you won't easily be able to hear where it's coming from.

Never use gear to solve a skills problem. Focus on learning buddy skills and you'll never need a noise maker.

R..

Are there any cheap noise makers to get your buddies attention? Like those crickets that the 101st used on d-day? etc?
A light is a much better method....particularly with a goodman handle, so you still have your hands free.
  • Halcyon Light Comparison - YouTube video showing use of a Halcyon canister light with this handle--this is the best way to go, but too pricey for many recreational divers...if you see the way this is on the top of the hand, you can see how easy and immediate signaling a buddy would be...then see the way to do this yourself below....
My First DIY - Goodman Handle for a Scout is an inexpensive do-it-yourself form of Goodman handle light, at a fraction of the cost of a canister light, and just as good for buddy signalling.

Hostage,

Dan is right. If you were looking for the noisemaker as just a way to get attention/communication then a light is more versatile. Making a Goodman handle for a backup light is a pretty simple matter. I've made them before from a bit of PVC and some bungee cord.
Cheap and handy.

R..

yeah there's all kinds of noise makers. The problem is you can hear the noise but (a) you don't know what it means and (b) you won't easily be able to hear where it's coming from.

Never use gear to solve a skills problem. Focus on learning buddy skills and you'll never need a noise maker.

R..

Good QOTD

Never use gear to solve a skills problem. I've gotta remember that one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom