Diving with a cast

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

slamming

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Was just wondering if there are any problems diving with a cast on your arm? I just broke two bones in the back of my hand and I really would like to dive, but not sure if there are any problems if I do. What do ya'll have to say on this.

Thanks

Stan

I wouldn't, only because there could be air trapped in the layers of the cast that could crack it (like a bad filling) and leave ya in a lot of pain. Not to mention how you'd properly protect the cast from moisture under pressure, the limited use of your hand in an emergency, the possible negative side effects on your broken bones under pressure and the potential snag hazzard associated with the cast. Just me dude, but I'd wait until you're good and healthy. It sucks, but I'm sure dying or getting seriously injured would suck worse. I broke my arm a couple of years ago right after certifying and believe me, I thought about it. :)

I don't think you'd want to get your cast wet. It'll smell so bad afterward!. Actually sometimes the cast material is disolvable in water (I had a friend take his off using grape juice anyway)

If you seal it so it won't get wet, then you have the potential air pocket problems.

I know how you feel, I got brand new ski's for Christmas one year and then 2 weeks before the Holiday, I broke my hand at wrestling practice. The doctor told me no skiing until I got it off! (sad day!) :(

hope you get it off soon!

Thanks for the replies. It really stinks not being able to dive, especially since I just got all my parts in for my new bp/w. Guess I will just have to wait.

Stan

I agree with the above posters. Plaster casts are extremely susceptible to water damage, and even the fiberglass ones suffer if they are very wet or wet for any period of time. You really don't want a cast to become loose or misshapen, because it's what's holding the bones in proper alignment (unless you had surgery). Particularly with hand injuries, you WANT those bones to heal correctly, because even small discrepancies can have significant effects on hand function.

In addition, you would have limited mobility and ability to react in an emergency -- if you got the other hand trapped in something, could you use the broken one to free it?

Luckily, the period of immobilization for most hand injuries is only a few weeks. (Although if somebody told me I'd have to take a few weeks off from diving, you'd hear me howling in Florida!)

Good luck with your recovery.

I wouldn't. It makes the sharks belch a lot and plugs them up something horrable.....

Gary D. :D

Gary D.:
I wouldn't. It makes the sharks belch a lot and plugs them up something horrable.....

Gary D. :D
ROTFL!

What effect might it have on alligators, I wonder?:D

Stan, the next three weekends are tied up for me. Anytime after that, let's go diving (as long as TSandM clears you for diving, LOL).

Talk about a funny squeeze. I thought about it when I ahd stiches on my hand but I did not do it. I planned to cover my entore forearm with a 2 mil bag and place rubber bands every inch or two all the way down to my wrist. My buddy asked me how I would compensate for the pressure at depth inside the bag. He then asked me if I had ever seen a drysuit squeeze? It looks like a giant hickey, so I bagged the idea. I hope you get to dive soon. Good luck and happy healing

I seem to remember that diving with broken bones increases your risk of DCI.
If the reasons the others give aren't good enough, do as seasummit said and call dan.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom