Greetings from Sunny Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WHDiver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Or not so sunny this time of year. I have always checked in this forum for some really good info, so I figured this would be a great place to ask for some advice.

I have a chance at a couple of reg sets. I have been wanting to get some backups for a bit. These are at least 20 years old and haven't been used in at least 10. But they appear to be in good shape.

What are ya'lls thoughts and what you think a fair offer would be? Been diving for just 4 years so this is a bit new to me.

Attachments

• 20240305_190951.jpg
    20240305_190951.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 27
  • 20240305_190946.jpg
    20240305_190946.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 25
Since the regs are that old I would suggest that you find out whether parts are still available for them, and they can be serviced. Can't tell for sure, but from the safe seconds they appear to be old Aqua Lung regs and Aqua Lung has started phasing out support for their older regs. I ran into that problem with an older reg and an air source. Also, when was the last time they were serviced? Since they have been laying around that long I suspect it's been quite a while, and you will want to have them entirely gone over. Even if you get them for a "good" price you could end up spending money on replacement hoses. So, an inspection first would be critical in my opinion, if they are still serviceable. Just my 2 cents.

You definitely hit my plan. Going to run them by the local shop today just to get an opinion and if they can even get parts.

The work they would need is why I am having a hard time to figure out what's fair. If they are good to go after service that's nice, but probably looking at $400 - $500 to get them there.

And yep, they are old US Diver / Aqualung Micras.

You definitely hit my plan. Going to run them by the local shop today just to get an opinion and if they can even get parts.

The work they would need is why I am having a hard time to figure out what's fair. If they are good to go after service that's nice, but probably looking at $400 - $500 to get them there.

And yep, they are old US Diver / Aqualung Micras.
If you're looking at $400 - $500 out of pocket to get them back in shape to dive then I would pass on them regardless of the price. At the end of the day, you will still end up with two old regs and you can find newer used regs if you're willing to send that kind of money that will be serviceable for sure. I currently have 3 Aqua Lung regs and they are getting a bit spendy to maintain. So whichever way you go if you haven't factored that in be sure to include ongoing maintenance into the cost equation.

So the conclusion. The octopus on both were shot. Apparently a design flaw on these led to cracks in the case.

I was way off on repair costs. Only $110 to get an entire reg set up to date ( on call thought he meant each reg).

Long story short gave them $100 for 2 dive knives, 32 lbs of soft weights, a really nice dive bag and both regs. Got some old BCs as well that might make nice snorkel vests, but kind of a useless throw in. A DM friend of mine will help me with taking the 2 sets and making them one, and then I will get it serviced to see if it meets the standard of a spare set for just in case needs. If it does, great. If not, oh well got other stuff

Long story short gave them $100 for 2 dive knives, 32 lbs of soft weights, a really nice dive bag and both regs. Got some old BCs as well that might make nice snorkel vests, but kind of a useless throw in.
Just on the weights for that hundred $$ is worth it, plus all the other items are a bonus. You got a good deal.

Does anyone know if it's possible to still get replacement blades for a Wenoka Sea Style 8801 by Blackie Collins? Got 2 of them in the deal. So far Google has not been my friend. The blades are actually in good shape, just curious.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom