Diving with a cold

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think in either case, you will be symptomatic if you are going to get into a problem underwater. If you have recovered from a cold to the point where you are no longer coughing, the likelihood that you have significant pulmonary obstruction is very low. (The exception is in the elderly, who can have horrible pulmonary infections with no symptoms -- but I don't think there are many debilitated, frail 80 year olds diving.)

If you have significant coughing, whether it's producing sputum or dry, it's worrisome for some bronchospasm. Many persistent, dry coughs after viral illnesses are due to this. At the absolute least, I'd get an exam by a physician before diving with a significant cough.

If you have crap that is actually down in your lungs, it really, really shouldn't be there. You may have a serious infection cooking or major risk thereof. Get to a doctor. On the other hand, if there is loose stuff in your upper airway/trachea that seems to rattle when you inhale or make you want to cough, then it is likely to be mucus similar to that which is in your nose and sinuses. Decongestants will help.

As for diving with vs without meds, I do. I have chronic sinus congestion and have had it since adolescence. For me, meds are a necessity (I use Astelin, a 12 hr spray antihistamine available by prescription for daily morning and evening use; it has done wonders). Philosophically, diving with meds may be "bad" and increase the risk of serious injury. But so does diving without a knife or a pry-bar or a hack saw or a cutting torch (in case a boat traveling overhead sinks and pins me, sort of like the problem the guy faced in the new movie, "127 hours"). In other words, the risk IMO is so low that it has not been measured and even the internet rumor mill has not [yet] raised it to a significant level of danger.

I start 'practice clearing' long before I get in the water.... when I wake in the morning, on my way to the dive center, on the boat, on the surface before descent. That is coupled with a nasal spray decongestant and saline wash.

That helps clear things out sometimes.... but if I encounter one issue where I can't clear on any of those attempts, then I stay out of the water.

I wouldn't advise diving with congestion to anyone. I've had to do it on a few occasions, only because I work in the dive industry. If I was leisure diving, then I wouldn't have done it.

For a severe chest cold, then diving is a definitate 'no'. Mucus in the lungs can trap pockets of air, leading to risk of embolism on ascent.

Otherwise, I listen to my body regarding any illness. Any sickness that can alter your hydration and/or circulation would increase risk of DCS.

Thx to all, especially TS&M. The Keys were quite cold so only managed one double dip on the Vandenberg off Key West - as much because of the weather/wind than how I felt. Had almost no trouble clearing on ascent/descent but I read all these messages beforehand. I had no coughing, felt generally fine, slight sinus headache. I took no meds. I passed on diving later in the week however, when I could only clear with the help of meds. Maybe I was too conservative but I'm ok with that and appreciative of all the advice from you folks. Besides my consolation was that first dip on the Vandy - numerous swimthroughs all over the boat - a signature dive in 2010 for me, for sure!! Quality, not always quantity eh?

thx again.

At the risk of being a reductionist, I'm curious to know:

I'm gathering from some of the responses, that the sinus / headcold is a bit more tangible. ie you can check to see if clearing / equalizing your ears is possible. if not, no diving.

however, it sounds somewhat like the chest / lung (coughing, wheezing etc) is the real danger zone because we can't "test" it and therefore can't tell how our body will respond at depth or during ascent.

is that what I'm hearing?

obviously, I'm not implying that it's perfectly fine to dive with a head cold. I'm just curious about the chest issue.

I dove with a cold last Saturday. Took Mucinex and Sudafed and felt fine up to about 15 min into the dive when I realized that although I was able to clear my ears and breathe fine, I was very tired/exhausted. Swimming was an effort and my reaction time had slowed down considerably. I called the dive 30 min in and didn't dive the next day.

Everyone responds differently to illness and medication. Use your own judgment as to whether you are well enough to dive.

It's actually fairly likely that, if you have enough going on in your lungs to put you at significant risk, you will have symptoms -- coughing, wheezing -- that should alert you. It IS possible to have localized obstruction from something and have no symptoms (a cave diver died a couple of years ago, and autopsy found he had a mass obstructing a bronchus that no one knew about), but infections with significant bronchospasm or obstruction are generally symptomatic in the young.

If you can easily clear your ears on land, do not have symptoms of sinus obstruction (fullness, pain, or purulent drainage), and are no longer coughing, you are probably going to be okay to carefully attempt a dive. ANY problems on the way day should be a red flag, though, since ascents aren't optional.

Edited to add that I would never, myself, do a dive if I couldn't equalize my ears without meds. Taking them as additional insurance is one thing, but knowing that, without the drug effect, you can't equalize, is taking more risk of hearing loss or (worse) permanent vertigo than I'm willing to accept.

I only dived once (class to 16'). No fun. Would you say that if you have no trouble equalizing descending (no meds) you are probably safe ascending without a block? Has anyone heard of such a reverse block occurring?

have tried it and not comfortable did not enjoy the dive and would not do it again,it is dangerous as well if you plan to go deep I went only around the rocks,best to wait till cold/fl passes.

I guess I'm not as tough as some of you guys. When I have a cold, I don't feel like doing anything. I dive only for personal enjoyment and, for me, a cold takes all the enjoyment out of it. If I have a cold, I cancel the trip and stay home. That goes for any of the activities I normally enjoy doing. Hunting, fishing, whatever. If a cold is gonna make me miserable, why go?

Cold remedies have no effect on me, other than a couple that make me drowsy, so that is no help. I just stay home and watch Sea Hunt.

head congestion I use sudafed, lung congestion I watch tv or read a book.

If I know that I am getting chest congestion and will be diving soon, I will sometimes take prednisone to get rid of the mucus and inflammation.

On the other hand, last time I did the steroid route, I did end up with an infected blister due to the immunosuppression. Luckily I stocked up on antibiotics in mexico.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom