Diving with contacts...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

erparamedic

Vampire Girl......er Dork
Reaction score
Hi, all...

Ok, so this is an odd question, and maybe dumb, but can you dive with your contact lenses in? Does anyone out there do it, and if so, have you ever had any issues with it?

In my personal opinion, I don't think it should be an issue unless the mask is constantly flooding. Sound right?

(I have prescription lenses in my mask, but the script is 10 years old, so I'm hoping I can dive with my contacts and I'll just put the plain lenses back in my mask.)

I've done it for 16 years without a problem. I've had regular eye check ups and nothing has ever come up.

I dive with contacts and haven't had any real problems except 2 occasions when a lens fell out while i was underwater! These had nothing to do with flooding - they just fell out, as they occasionally do. These are rare occasions, however, and I wouldn't hestitate to recommend wearing them. Mine are daily disposables, which is ideal. Think you need to watch a bit more with some other types (possibly gas permeable but don't take my word for that).

My dive buddy dives w/hard contacts. The only problem she's had is losing a contact while on the boat AFTER a dive.

I wear soft lenses when I dive, never any problems.. if mask has to be flooded/removed for some reason, maybe try to keep the eyes closed (or even just one eye closed) to save a lens. The only issue I've heard with contact lenses is that they might keep bacteria from being easily swept off the cornea.. so don't wear them if any eye irritation - no different than if on land.

I have been diving with contacts for the last five years and haven't had a problem. I also wear disposable lenses the monthly kind and usually have two pair on the boat incase something happens. In case you're concerned about loosing them you can always bring your perscription mask with you in a pocket and you're covered.

Soft contact disposables. Never had a problem diving with them at all. I did lose one while getting certified doing the swimming excercise, but that's because I was an idiot and opened my eye underwater without a mask on.

Been diving with soft contact lens for four years. Yes, I lose one once in awhile, but have extra's in my save-a-dive kit.

Dave (aka "Squirt")

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom