Diving with Diabetes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've been a very active diver this year. I've logged close to 100 dives just in 2003. I'm diving almost every weekend and sometimes during the week. I was even ice diving in Feb. This year has been the exception, not the rule. I normally dive about 50 times a year. But this year I am in the dive master program and have become buddies with my instructor. So I'm able to dive more.

My hA1c at the end of last year was 6.3. My last hA1c was in July and it was at 6.8. A little increase, but the doctor is still very pleased with it. Plus I've lost almost 20 lbs since December. So I don't know for sure if my diving and being off the pump has contributed to the increase in my hA1c since the increase isn't that much. Either way, my doctor is telling me that everything is good and to keep up the good work.

Duane

A wonderful story jhnsndn. Exercise is vital to stay healthy, diabetic or not and if diving motivates anyone, it beats slugging to the gym anyday. It seems your lifestyle does wonders for your A1C, and as this is the overall goal for long term care, kudos then.

DAN has this survey of DM divers and I find DM divers have a similar glucose response to a dive, so long as they are not "brittle."

http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/medical/articles/article.asp?articleid=23

As for pumps, my major concern, whether its dove with a dry suit or not, is that the pump is not rated for depth. Even if kept dry, the total ATA of pressurized gas in a dry suit is in equilibrium with depth, and thus, is subject to the same pressure, albeit dry.

The need for insulin is absolute only in type 1 DM, so type 2 DM can get away without using insulin for many hours. However, it is safer to have some insulin on board always, so using Lente, NPH or Lantus would be better than simply disconnecting the pump. Cover with regular or Humalog as needed thereafter.

jhnsndn, great achievement, your DM control is quite amazing.
At least now I know it is not impossible to do a lot of diving without letting glucose get out of hand too much as well.
thanks for all the info.
Saturation, thanks also for a very informative link.

Yeah, great link. I do know that they make waterproof cases for pumps. That might be a better solution than just wearing the pump in water. I'm sure replacing the case is a lot cheaper that relacing a pump.

The concern with pumps is that increased ambient pressure could increase insulin delivery (Boyle's Law) as well as high moisture content may influence performance of electronics and supply incorrect amount of insulin, Etc.
No insulin pump I know of is developed with high ambient pressures in mind so these concerns are not addressed in design and as result they may not be safe UW.
Then again I don’t know why people would stay on the pump at all, but different strokes... :boom:

I always try to eat a banana before I go in the water. It raises my BG as well as provides much needed potassium.

Eugene

I always try to eat a banana before I go in the water. It raises my BG as well as provides much needed potassium.

Eugene

Eugene,

Interestingly enough, there are boat captains that will not allow bananas on their boats. I've only had one complain, said it was bad luck. I kind of wonder if it is bad luck to tick off a customer for life where they will never use your shop again. I eat a banana as well. It's a perfect carb to raise your blood sugar for the dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom