Diving with dyslexia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

water goose

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I know someone who is dyslexic and was wondering is it safe for them to get there OW Certification or is this just a problem waiting to happen.

P.S.I worry about her not being able to read the numbers on the gauges correctly

My buddy (who is also my wife) is dyslexic. She only dives with me, and uses analog gauges on her console, and we're close enough together when we dive that I can check her gauges. She also has a computer that will scream at her even if we both miss something.

I know someone who is dyslexic and was wondering is it safe for them to get there OW Certification or is this just a problem waiting to happen.

P.S.I worry about her not being able to read the numbers on the gauges correctly

I don't know about dyslexic per se, but in my research of equipment - I'm a bit of a nerd in that - I noticed a lot of color-coded availability -- i.e., the needle goes into the yellow and then into the red, or there are green-yellow-red graphs for bottom or air time remaining.

As long as his or her buddy was aware, and questioned the "numbers report" when it didn't seem right, it seems okay.

Severity and type of dyslexia vary amongst individuals; so without knowing the specifics of your friends dyslexia, it is impossible to answer except in anecdotal and general terms.

Anecdotally, I had a dyslexic scuba student who did fine. He took a bit longer in the classroom to get some concepts, but passed all tests the first time. He was excellent in the water.

In general, your friend's specific case should be treated just that way, as a specific case. If you are concerned about her ability to read the numbers on the gauges correctly, you might encourage her to do a "try scuba" and let the instructor staff determine if she can read the gauges.

Does your friend drive? Can she read the speedometer and other instruments in the car?

in school it was suspected that i had a mild form of dyslexia i was never officially diagnosed with it though
as for reading a gage i can glance at it for half a second and know how much gas i have and a subconscious idea of rate
the problem i have is when i have to convert a needle pointing to some lines into a number to tell someone else then convert that into hand singles to tell someone underwater. it takes me about 5sec to do all that
what made it EZer for me was having my own gear
the gage face is the same every dive don’t have to figure out if the tick marks mean 100# or 200# when you play rental roulette
and the digital display on my AI comp help allot but IMHO you lose some sense of how much gas you have left if you only look at digital display it’s hard to explain but i monitor both during a give

As has been said already, dyslexia varies significantly in severity. I dealt with this issue an untold number of times when I was a classroom teacher. Thinking of the most seriously afflicted I met, I don't think they would have as much trouble with the diving as with learning the academic stuff required for getting certified. If they are severe enough to have an IEP or even a 504 plan clearly identifying the problem, then they would qualify to have the test read to them and then give the answers orally.

The most severe student I ever had was totally misdiagnosed throughout his life. Tests indicated that he had the reading and writing ability of a 2nd grader, so his special education teachers gave him 2nd grade level materials to read and write about his whole life. Through a maneuver that does not need to be explained here, he eventually escaped from that (quite literally) got into my 12th grade English class, which he passed with flying colors by using a screen reading program that read the literature to him and a screen writing program that converted his speech to writing. His ability to comprehend literature and respond to it on an intellectual level was comparable to the top third of the students I ever had in an Advanced Placement class, but if you handed him an essay he had just written himself using the screen writing program, he could not read it to you word for word--although he could still explain the concepts.

Even someone as severe as that can handle scuba, IMO. It is a matter of having the proper gauges. As squid509 said, if you are familiar with the analog gauges and know what it means when the needle is pointing the right way, or if you know what it means when the computer bar is moving to the yellow zone, it is easy to convert that information to proper action.

The vast majority of dyslexics are nowhere near that severe and can handle scuba with no real issues at all.

By the way, there are people diving with all sorts of handicapping conditions. There are even blind divers. The key is to find the appropriate way of dealing with the inherent problems.

I'll only be able to answer this question next year when my 9 year old becomes eligible to be trained formally (though we have been cheating a tad bit)....

ScubaBrie2.jpg

I have dyslexia and don't have any problems diving. Just don't ask me to put pen to paper, read anything in depth, or type anything while under water.
I am a visual learner, and diving is something that comes very easy to me.

Jim Breslin

Back
Top Bottom