Diving with Fantasea in Playa del Carmen

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

suddha

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My wife and I just returned from Playa del Carmen last night. We were there for five days, three of them diving with Jason at Fantasea (PlayaCountryBoy here on SB). It was, hands-down, the best diving my wife or I have done.

I cannot say enough good things about Fantasea. While loaded cattle boats from other outfits were jostling for reef positions, we'd go out with five divers max, and sometimes just my wife and I with Jason, to a new spot where no one else was diving. Currents were strong and there was a strong surface chop but once U/W, the viz was amazing and we drifted across some very healthy-looking reefs loaded with fish - horse-eye jacks, barracuda, turtles, a nurse shark, morays, etc. We did six dives total and left wishing we had another day or two to dive. We're already scheming to go back in the fall.

I also got to meet Byte Me from ScubaBoard and we did two dives with him. His recommendation of Fantasea was one reason we ended up down there and I figured I'd pass along the good ScubaBoard karma and recommend that anyone looking for very personalized, and personable, dive outfit in Playa - go with Jason.

Cheers.

I'll be down there with my family in less than 2 weeks and will be diving with Jason for our second time. I agree with all you said. Could you share your observations on the reef damage from the cement ship? Is everything open for diving?

We did not dive Tortugas, the reef that was closed due to the ship damage. I guess I don't know what I was missing since we didn't dive it, but where we did dive was great. We started with Barracuda and Jardines, two shallow dives, on the first day to get re-acclimated to being underwater. On subsequent days, Jason took us deeper and further afield to some really great sites - Punta Venado, Islotes and two more I don't know the names of. Jason has some tricks up his sleeve for finding more secluded spots that don't get a lot of divers.

OK, what is it with this Jason? Why is he so great? There's a dozen or so shops in PDC and everyone names the same DM as the best there is. (although I do recall a thread of him taking people rather deep)

What does he do that others don't?

And BTW, there's not that many cattle boats in PDC. You need a dock to do so and the downtown area of PDC only has ferry piers.

I guess most of what makes Jason a great DM are intangibles. For instance, he stopped in at our hotel the night we arrived to say hello and get a sense of our abilities and desires for the coming days' diving. Also, he is very careful in checking over everyone's gear, while also making sure we knew our own responsibilities as certified divers. His briefings of the dive sites were excellent. He gave extra attention to my wife, who is a newer diver while not being patronizing or condescending. And I just liked his personality. Conversations during surface intervals were lively and fun. While these may seem like normal attributes, the whole package of safety, fun, technical and nature knowledge and personality make him a great DM and I'll go back to him and recommend others.

The bigger boats of divers I saw were largely run out of the big resorts just south of PDC. I am sure for some, diving with 10-15 other divers is fine, but for me, I liked going out with my wife, maybe a couple other guys and a DM. Pretty cool.

Jason is just laid back, but professional. On the trip I recently dived with Jason all the divers were SB members, so the dive was really nice all experienced divers. His boat is not much to talk about but the friendly service right on the beach and experience were great. Jason makes a really nice video too. If I'm in PDC I'll dive with Jason.

Hiya Buddies! Thanks for all the good words! I had alota fun with divin'with ya. And...DET you need to come dive with me to see what an experienced tropical DM dives like to learn something about what makes a great Dm a great Dm. Keep in mind, I am a PADI MSDT since about 10 years:wink: and have certified thousands on varous levels or specialties......but really:shakehead:...who cares about that? What is important:crafty:...is how to be a pro while lowering others stresses about what we are about to do. If you have done the dive sites enough to paint a picture to your divers about what they are about to dive, all the while in a friendly, fun manner, you have assessed your divers AND lowered reservations that they may have had all before the dive. NOW we can dive! I keep the weak ones near me and give the more experienceed free rein. It is an explorartion right?:confused: I find something new with every dive. :D Now....green-horns...this is just a small insight on how to take care of your guests.

Suddha, great to meet you and the Mrs. Glad that I didn't steer you wrong and that we got to spend some time underwater together!

Those two dives (Isolate and Punta Venatos) were wonderful gardens of sponges (Huge barrel sponges) fish, eels, a couple turtles, lobsters, etc. The medium current made it damn near effortless. Two of the best I've done down there.

As for what makes Jason and why he gets my money for as long as he's in business down there:

• personal attention before, during and after (via email, on the boards, meeting w/ you the day before the dives, hanging out after dives, getting together even days after) - Hell, my wife has never dived in her life yet considers Jason a friend!
  • safety - He may be Mr. Southern charm and friendly on SIs, on the trip to and from the sites but once its time to giant stride or back roll in it's all business. Check your gear, check your air, check your connections, alert him when your at (insert pre-determined tank pressure here) and it's time to head up for the safety stop, any questions? OK let's roll!
  • You get to dive YOUR ability. As he said, he stays close if you're new, checks in often. If you're more seasoned he works to point out stuff you wouldn't otherwise see and acts more like a dive buddy than a DM.
  • Dives aren't TIME limited - you'll stay down as long as your NDL and aforementioned pre-determined tank pressure will last you. (if you're diving with more than just him then everyone goes up when the first person hits that limit)
  • Knowledge - if someone knows more about the reefs down there and where to find all the critters AND is willing to point them out to everyone that comes through with the same enthusiasm as him finding them for the first time - well, I'd be surprised.

The net result of all of this? I'm more comfortable, I learn more, I enjoy the dives more and I have more fun. Simple as that. Sure, you come away with the experience of the dive but it's more than that. He's more than the "guy who took me diving". The personal touch really cements the customer relationship - it even goes beyond it to creating a friendship.

Very well stated Byte Me. Jason's enthusiasm heightens your own and adds to the experience. I was sitting in a bar last November and someone asked who we were diving with, what we saw, etc. I mentioned Jason and a seahorse, and the they pleaded with me to let them know where the seahorse was. Nah, "that's between Jason and me." Jason treats the reef like it was his own family. He's protective of all its plants, animals, and formations.

One week from today my son and I will be there again, this time sharing the experience with my diving daughter and non-diving wife. The excitement builds...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom