diving with jupiter dive center (a few photos)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sportxlh

Contributor
Reaction score
formerly Palm Beach Gardens, FL: now Atlanta
# of dives
500 - 999
Dove with JDC twice the week of Thanksgiving. As many of you already know, it is a top notch organization. We dove Lighthouse reef, Captain Mike and Tunnels. Unfortunately, Lionfish were everywhere and no one had a spear. I tried to skewer a few with my knife (which I have done in the past), but they moved into crevices in the reef quickly.

This one is an immature one: the body was about the size of my thumbnail
lionfish_tiny_and_immature_on_lighthouse_reef_3_jdc_nov_26_2010.JPG

Not a great picture given the backsplatter, but I don't see Goldetail Morays all that often. I actually saw another one roaming and hunting later in the dive
moray_goldentail_2_tunnels_jdc_nov_24_2010.JPG

This was a great find: the current was very light which gave me time to scan for little things....
flamingo_tounge_2_tunnels_jdc_nov_24_2010.JPG

A curious moray came out of the reef while I was photographing a lionfish
moray_green_9_capt_mike_jdc_nov_24_2010.JPG

moray_close_up_capt_mike_jdc_nov_24_2010.JPG

the two days of diving were fantastic: also saw many goliath grouper and on two different reefs, saw very large southern rays accompanied by cobia. Could not get close enough for decent shots of either.

pics look great. I am going to have to take a break from the Keys and dive Jupiter one day. Is there a time of year to catch the grouper and the schooling sharks at the same time.

pics look great. I am going to have to take a break from the Keys and dive Jupiter one day. Is there a time of year to catch the grouper and the schooling sharks at the same time.

thanks: golith grouper can be seen on almost any dive, but the big aggregation was a month or two ago. Over thanksgiving, I saw up to 5 in one place (sometimes you'll see a few more on a wreck), during the aggregation/spawning season, you'll see dozens or more.

example:

YouTube - Diving with Goliath Grouper at Wreck of MG 111 in Jupiter Florida

I believe the lemons aggregate in late winter and early spring, but I am not sure about that. You can call JDC and ask

Scuba Diving Jupiter with Jupiter Dive Center, Scuba diving lessons at a PADI 5 Star facility, daily scuba diving trips in Jupiter, Florida.

Did you nail the lionfish?

I wish I had: I did not have a spear with me.... I attempted to get it (along with the 6 mature ones I saw) with a dive knife, but they all moved into holes and crevices in the reef too quickly. I've killed mature ones twice with a knife, in the past

Dove with JDC twice the week of Thanksgiving. As many of you already know, it is a top notch organization. We dove Lighthouse reef, Captain Mike and Tunnels. Unfortunately, Lionfish were everywhere and no one had a spear. I tried to skewer a few with my knife (which I have done in the past), but they moved into crevices in the reef quickly.

This one is an immature one: the body was about the size of my thumbnail
lionfish_tiny_and_immature_on_lighthouse_reef_3_jdc_nov_26_2010.JPG

Not a great picture given the backsplatter, but I don't see Goldetail Morays all that often. I actually saw another one roaming and hunting later in the dive
moray_goldentail_2_tunnels_jdc_nov_24_2010.JPG

This was a great find: the current was very light which gave me time to scan for little things....
flamingo_tounge_2_tunnels_jdc_nov_24_2010.JPG

A curious moray came out of the reef while I was photographing a lionfish
moray_green_9_capt_mike_jdc_nov_24_2010.JPG

moray_close_up_capt_mike_jdc_nov_24_2010.JPG

the two days of diving were fantastic: also saw many goliath grouper and on two different reefs, saw very large southern rays accompanied by cobia. Could not get close enough for decent shots of either.
Yes JDC is great. I like diving with them. I did the lemons dive with them. I think it is around April. Nice Pics

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom