Diving with or without bands?

Do you wear your wedding bands while diving?

• Yes

Votes: 16 55.2%
  • No

Votes: 13 44.8%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have always (occaionally I have regretted this when working on my vehicles) wore my wedding band except when I broke that particular finger about 10 yrs ago. I did get it back on but now it wont come off without a set of bolt cutters or a torch. My wife wears her band but leaves the rock at home when diving or any other water sport.

But only because I am not married.... heh heh I have managed to escape it for 32 years so far... Not sure if I would wear it while diving even if I was married. :D

I've always worn my wedding band while diving.
Most of the diving requires gloves, either for warmth or protection against cuts (zebra mussels).
My band can be removed, but is secure enough I never felt it would come off accidentaly.
I do remove it when working with machinery, however.

MikeD

I always switch to a plain band before leaving home. Still would hate to lose it, but it is snug and has not come off in cold or warm water.

I would certainly not take good rings, etc to a remote dive operation and leave them in my room. Just never know what might happen while your away on the boat....

Rings often fall off chilled fingers. This is what makes metal detecting off a popular public beach so lucrative. :D

The other side of it happend to a dive buddy of mine. She caught her ring on the rail when making a giant stride. The red water as the bubbles cleared told her she had some difficulty, so she got back on board. When she got to the top of the ladder the folks on board were freaking, so she went over and picked her finger up off the deck and put it in the ice chest. $20K later she has a finger with little feeling and only marginal use unless as a weather change indicator. Her comment now is that if she had known what was coming then she'd have had a flap of skin sewn over the stump and let it go at that. Randy has my full respect for her actions that day, and since.

first of all my wife made sure that my ring is sized so that i cannot take it off without undergoing surgery. secondly, the sparkle comes in handy when trying to take close-ups of barracudas.

I get flamed by my wife every time I dive for this, But no I don't wear my wedding band when I dive or when I work for that matter (Aircraft Mechanic) I dove once with it on in a place where there was a lot of granite and scratched the he1... out of it! from that time on I haven't worn it diving....... I used to wear it at work too until I snagged my finger once and almost had it pulled off...... That's why I don't wear it there either.
Rob

Not married, but I do have a couple of rings I wear. However, I never wear them diving.

(I do have a fossellized shark tooth, set in silver, that I wear on a chain. I just never take it off.)

Hmmm...this gives me an idea.

Most of my diving is done with gloves on (either thick thermal protection or thin skin protection) so I generally wear my wedding band. If I'm not wearing gloves the ring stays on shore. No reason other then paranoia.

Cornfed

Back
Top Bottom