Diving with orcas?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Zingtea

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I've read a lot of accounts of people who freedove where there are orcas and came into contact with them (here are a few: http://www.orcahome.de/orcadiving.htm). A lot of people, though, also say that orcas are dangerous (hence their name, "killer" whale) and that you should not be in the water when they are, lest they eat you or break all your bones or something. Does anyone here have any personal experience with orcas? I'm making it a goal of mine to do this sometime and I'd like to know about any vital precautions.

it is actually illegal to go out an actively search out orcas to go diving with them because of environmental laws. The only way to dive with them is if you are in the water and they want to come to you. Unless, you feel that you want to break the law, which i guess is your decision

Everyone has seen photos of paddlers in the Pacific Northwest with orcas nearby. I have also seen photos of orcas playing with their food, i.e., throwing seal carcasses up in the air playing catch. They're not "humanitarian" whales, or "vegan" whales - they're called "killer" whales for a reason.
Forgetting all that sick tame Marineland stuff where you see people feeding orcas fish out of their mouths, how lucky would you feel in the wild in a wetsuit in a pod of killer whales?
And since they are protected and it might be kinda hard to get in the water legally with them, how about a nice great white shark swimalong? I know that it's already been done, but hey, it might still be fun.

Those things kill sharks, man. Forget Shamu, they are dangerous.

Legal or not...I'm staying out of an Orca's way.

The name “killer whale” is thought to be a mistranslation from the Spanish phrase asesina-ballenas, which means whale killer. Orcas can and do kill whales. There has been one documented case of an orca in the wild attacking a person (actually, just charging a person), but they weren’t hurt.

Things might be different in Europe, but here in the Pacific Northwest orcas are on the Endangered list and protected by law.

I have heard stories about orcas getting curious and checking out divers to see what they're up to, but I have no personal experience with that. It would be neato, but I wouldn't make it a goal.

Yay GIR, btw!

Oh yeah I forgot about the protection part, which is excellent in my opinion after remembering it. You could probably do it in Norway; cetaceans aren't protected there at all as they (whalers) kill hundreds of them. Anyway it's probably not such a good idea, but not because orcas prey on humans (which they do NOT; plus I didn't learn about whales and dolphins at an amusement park).
Forgetting all that sick tame Marineland stuff where you see people feeding orcas fish out of their mouths, how lucky would you feel in the wild in a wetsuit in a pod of killer whales?
By the way Tom, more attacks on people have come from captive orcas than from orcas in the wild. It's largely due to the stress induced by a tiny, featureless environment that restricts movement. I'd find wild orca territory safer for humans if a choice was called for.

Zingtea...

I read the link that you posted.... and I must say, I think that a wild orca encounter would (1st) scare me stiff, (2nd) be an incredibly amazing thing to experience. I must say I'd draw the line on "incredibly amazing" if it started nibbling on my fins or (as some in the link mentioned) mouthing my entire foot!!! That's the point where I would crap in my wetsuit, pass out, sink to the bottom, and (subconsciously) hope for a rescue from my buddy... if he/she still had both feet! LOL

That said.... I would LOVE to see an orca in the wild, but probably more at a distance. :wink: (Oh, and I don't consider them "killers", but just the average "orca".)

Go ahead, pay big bucks and do it. I heard if you roll them over on their back you can give them a kiss on the nose. :D Let us know how that works out, and if you wouldn't mind, please have someone film it.

Back
Top Bottom