Diving with orcas?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

that dive might be a little dangerous.

I mean don't get me wrong Orcas are highly intelligent, and pretty capable of knowing if you area seal or not...but I would not bet my life on it!

Maybe you would be better served trying to observe them in the wild, that would be a safer way to interact...

I would do a shark dive any day, but I would never purposly jump in the water with an Orca...I know my place on the food chain!:no

My understanding is that orcas that travel in pods work as a group, herding salmon and other fish into a big ball, and then feast. I don't think they typically eat seals.

However, there are those that are "lone wolves" - I forget the correct term, and are basically loners, and that these are the ones who eat seals and such.

This leads me to wonder - might we also look like a seal to one of these guys? :wink:

I hope you know I'm kidding...but I did get this off the DA website.

Killer Whale Rodeo
1999 Darwin Awards Winner
Confirmed True by Darwin
(6 July 1999, Florida) A naked man was found dead on the back of a killer whale at Sea World in Orlando on Tuesday morning, a victim of drowning or hypothermia in the 55-degree water. "There were no obvious signs of trauma. He wasn't chewed or dismembered," the sheriff's office said. The body had scrapes on it, possibly signifying that the victim had been dragged along the bottom of the tank.
Is a man who swims with Orcas worthy of a Darwin Award? Insights into his bizarre history may help us decide.

He was identified as a marijuana-smoking drifter named Daniel. The South Carolina native carried a tattered Florida DMV card, and police traced the address on the card to a Hare Krishna temple in Miami.

Priest Paul Seaur provided insights into Daniel's month-long stay with the community of six worshippers. He had a great love of nature, writing in his journal and feeding wild birds in the temple garden. Daniel had difficulty adjusting to the religion's 4AM wake-up time, their dietary prohibitions, and their abstinence from liquor, drugs, sex, and gambling. He preferred to dodge work and meditate in the chapel listening to heavy metal music.

Daniel unexpectedly announced that he was taking a vow of silence, which puzzled the Hare Krishnas, since their religion does not urge its members to be silent. He left abruptly in the spring, saying, "I want to be free. I want to travel around."

Daniel left a string of petty offences throughout South Carolina, Washington, Texas and Florida. Just days before his death, he had completed a three day sentence to the Indian River County Jail for stealing a 3-Musketeers candy bar from 7-Eleven. He resumed his vow of silence in court. "The suspect could not speak," a Vero Beach officer reported, so instead he used paper and pen to deny the charge.

Three days later, our intrepid stoner gained admittance to SeaWorld and loitered near the whale pools until 10PM closing, evading the 24-hour security. After stripping to his bathing trunks, he scaled a 3-foot plexiglas barrier, crossed a short stone wall, and climbed into Tillikum's frigid enclosure using steps ringing the 80x100-foot pool. An employee spotted Daniel's nude form draped just below Tillikum's dorsal fin at 7:35AM. His swimming shorts were found elsewhere in the tank. Tillikum apparently tried to remove his shorts with his razor sharp teeth, the medical examiner said.

The nature lover left few clues about his state of mind when he decided to commune with a carnivore the size of a bus. A joint was found inside his pile of clothes, but no admission ticket to SeaWorld. Anonymous park workers made a surprise announcement that this was not the first time Daniel had communed with sea mammals. Two years ago, they recall that he jumped into the manatee tank, which is filled with warmer water and less offensive creatures.

Notes about Tillikum the killer whale:

The 8-year-old mammal is the largest killer whale in captivity, at 22 feet and 11,000 pounds. He was appraised at 1.5 million dollars when purchased by SeaWorld in 1991, where he joined 13 other killer whales. He was considered dangerous, as he was never trained for human contact. Biologists say he probably played with Daniel like a toy, without realizing that he was a fragile human being.

This is not his first encounter with death. Tillikum and two other whales were involved in the drowning of a trainer in Victoria, Canada in 1991. Keltie Byrne fell into the whale tank at the SeaLand Marine Park and was dragged beneath the surface to her watery demise.

Tillikum is a fecund marine predator, and the sire of four calves born during his breeding stay in Florida.

In a comparison between Tillikum and Daniel, it's clear who is higher on the evolutionary scale.

mikeyjoe:
I don't think they typically eat seals.

You must not get the Discovery Channel up in BC. They'll work together and intentionally beach themselve to catch a seal, then slink back into the water. The special I saw even had a diver in the water getting UW footage.

jeraldjcook:
You must not get the Discovery Channel up in BC. They'll work together and intentionally beach themselve to catch a seal, then slink back into the water. The special I saw even had a diver in the water getting UW footage.
If I remember correctly, this behaviour is only exhibited by one group of Orcas off the coast of Patagonia.

Thalassamania:
If I remember correctly, this behaviour is only exhibited by one group of Orcas off the coast of Patagonia.
I checked Wikipedia, you're right. The rounding up of mackerel by the pod and then swimming through them only occurs in Norway. And orcas in Ontario regurgitate fish, attract sea gulls, and then attack the birds. They're crazy smart, not an animal I would want to be in the water with. I hope they don't figure out that they can eat divers, then regurgitate the dive gear to attract more divers. With the lure of free gear, divers from all over would come and fall into their trap. A vicious circle I don't even want to imagine. Sorry, I've had a bit too much coffee this morning.

Something as big as an orca doesn't need to intend to hurt you to do damage. Nobody likes getting a fin in the face by a 150 lb. diver that's not paying attention. Imagine getting hit by the fin on a 5 to 6 ton orca.

That diver is braver, or more stupid, than me.......:D

The behavior I described may only be for orcas in this area. As an example, I was watching Discovery, and they showed a pod sitting in a bay outside Santa Cruz, I think, waiting for baby humpback whales to scoot across the mouth in open water. The orcas would then pick them off.

Wikipedia is incorrect - it is common for orcas in BC to round up fish. I personally have witnessed them doing it to a school of salmon in a small bay - a bloody amazing sight, one you don't forget. They pushed them into the shallows of the bay (Hornby Island, for all you BC'ers) and then had at it. FYI - my observations were made from a boat, not in the water. I'm not crazy like that other guy......:D

I was just checking out Zingtea's reference link to the New Zealand reports of contact between divers and orcas. Also on the site is a detailled exposition on orcas in general:

http://www.orcahome.de/orcafact.htm

It seems reasonable to me to believe that orcas in different pasrts of the world may behave differently......

If it was legel I'ed do it. I've spent lots of time with them out in prince william sound. They would come up to my 16' inflatable and place their heads on the pontoon. After dealing with 1800lb
steller sealions an orca would be the highlight of my underwater life. I have seen large sealions ragdoll through the air after being
swatted by a large female out in the chiswell islands. That was quite a sight. Lifes short do what you can to make it interesting.
Dive Safe, Dive Often, Dive Prince William Sound, Alaska.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom