diving without buddy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The worst catastrophic failure I can conceive of is if the old ticker gives up and there ain't no redundancy for that.
For you that is probably a legitimate worst-case scenario ... possibly for me as well. But we're both older, more experienced divers who know enough to handle pretty much any type of failure that could occur without getting too stressed out about it.

On the other hand, the originator of this thread is a very new diver, talking about a friend who is also a very new diver. And for most very new divers, the worst catastrophic failure I could conceive would be what goes on in their head when faced with a situation they don't know how to deal with ... an unexpected current, for example, that leades to a CO2 overload. Unless they can promptly deal with it, the problem will eventually lead to a building stress that will ... ultimately ... end in a panic attack. At that point, all semblance of rational reasoning disappears as the diver's "survival" wiring kicks in with a "get me the hell out of here" response, and the diver finds himself bolting for the surface. In many cases of panic ... perhaps most cases ... the root cause of a panic attack was something that was easily fixable if the diver had adequate experience and training to recognize the onset of the situation and took steps to fix it before it became a bigger issue. What happens with most inexperienced divers is they don't recognize the problem until it becomes a bigger problem, and then they lack adequate experience or expertise to deal with it in a calm, deliberate manner. Panic is a natural reaction to being faced with what you perceive to be a life-threatening problem that you don't see a solution for.

In many cases such panic leads to a serious injury or fatality as the diver reacts without thinking and acting on the training that they do have ... and in most of those cases, the root cause was a problem that ... had they been sitting in the comfort of an office typing on ScubaBoard ... was completely within their capability to deal with. But because of their lack of experience, they failed to see it coming, and failed to act on it before it became bigger than they were equipped to deal with.

This is why I don't think inexperienced divers should solo ... it's also why I don't think inexperienced divers should do deep dives, or dive in challenging conditions like surge or current that have a higher probability of leading to problems they haven't yet learned how to deal with.

Resolving problems in real life is nothing like simulating it in a class, or talking about it on ScubaBoard ... and gaining experience helps you learn how to recognize and deal with problems incrementally, before a simple issue has the opportunity to turn itself into a life-threatening crisis ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Like the other safe and frequent divers, I follow the buddy system with very few exceptions, and in those cases there are lots of others near by. Task specific is the right word_ as in setting training platforms, retrieving dropped gear, locating a sub surface4 mooring line, and the like. Even in some of those tasks I buddy up. You are always safer diving with a competent buddy.
DivemasterDennis

I agree. Of course the main word here is "competent". Then there's the "can of worms"--What's better an "Insta Buddy" or going solo? For a single diver on a charter this is an interesting arguement.

Solo diving is prohibited in some countries. Ensure your allowed to dive the site first as a solo diver.

As a new diver I'd erase the thought of it. Dive with a buddy, keep safe and enjoy. It's not hard to find a dive buddy.

Have fun!!!

Industry wide Solo Diving is still taboo. Although, that is decreasing and there are many arguments in favor of solo diving. 1. Additional training to be a self-reliant diver and a better Team (buddy) member. 2. BBS (bad buddy syndrome) - do not have a significant other that dives; go on a trip; get paired with some random person on the boat. At best that person does not stay close, has bad buoyancy, is all over the reef, "look fish". Worse case, they are actually a danger to you and themself, despite certification there surprisingly are these. 3. Major mismatch in skills - a really experienced divers diving with a brand new diver might as well consider themself a solo diver. 4. Less bubble blowers in the water scare less fish and do not get in the picture. To name a few. There are an increasing number of divers that are getting solo diver certified and Dive operations that except solo divers. Some divers have thrown education and knowledge out the window and chosen to do so on their own, some probably do so safely.

I have problem a with quoting statics on the chances of equipment failure happening alone and using that as reasoning for not having the extra "safety gear". The simple fact is this despite the risk; scuba has a really low incident rate, period. Even if you are diving with no buddy and no Octo. The most common death is related to running out of Air simply because you're not paying attention to your SPG. However, the occurrence of injury or death does go way up when there is a failure of equipment. Remember you are in a hostel alien environment - you cannot breath underwater without your equipment. I have just under 300 (actually Tracked and logged) dives.. I do not think it is all that many but I have seen firsthand or personally experienced just about all the equipment failures that the books say can happen.
Blown "O" ring in the Water - yes; Free flowing Second Stage-Yes; BCD Failure - yes; First stage seat or o ring problem - yes; Blown high pressure hose it was actually an o ring at the gauge- yes; Low pressure hose leak, - yes; water leaking in to the second stage; yes. Seal biting through the LP hose; no but did read about it somewhere. For the things that I have experienced it has been on my gear which is very well maintained and sometime the issue happened right after it had been serviced by a trained professional, not me. The LP hose the diver should have caught that on inspection... it was rental gear and the hose was all dried and cracked. Point is you can used statics to support any possition. Yes there is low equipment failure but how does injury and death factor in when equipment fails? What are the statics for death and injury for new drivers diving solo and without training?

I am a certified solo driver - I dive with a team of Solo certified drivers that are all experienced drivers. We dive this way because we all want to be self-reliant divers and we enjoy each other’s company and comradeship. At the same time - there are times when just being on my own - and not keeping up with, waiting on, or tracking my buddy’s adds another level of enjoyment to this sport I love. We also dive in what can be some pretty low viz.

So yes, with the extra equipment to reduce the risk, more detailed planning, the plan "filed" with someone that you check in with after, practice of handling emergencies on your own and training, it can be done and reducing the risk. I really support the training on this one. I do not think this is a fufu card like "boat driver". My training covered many scenarios that could happen and how to handle them; some that I had never thought of.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Jax
Talking to friends last night who sail 2-3 weeks a years in the BVI & Bahamas, mostly as a couple. I know he dives (20-25 dives experience), but he mentioned he often dives solo on these trips to 30' max. Sometimes for boat repairs/recon (stuck anchor, fouled prop, etc...) & sometimes for recreation.

I am new at SCUBA and have the buddy system hammered in me.

Just curious of some experienced divers thoughts.
Under the conditions you describe, I'd rather be diving solo than swimming solo if the issue is safety. At that depth there's little risk intrinsic to the activity, though each diver has to assess their own degree of comfort and training for it.

It makes me think about the statistic that an average of 150 people a year die from having a coconut fall on their heads. So... Maybe to avoid possible coconut beaning, we should all wear safety helmets all the time, so that we aren't brained by a catastrophic failure of the tree's ability to retain the nut?

How many of the 150 are not walking under palm trees?
How many are shaking the palm trees?
how many are walking under a palm tree where coconuts are being cut out?
how many are in a grocery store throwing coconuts at each other?

How many are nowhere near a coconut when one beaned them in the brain out of now where?

Without the details of the statistic it means nothing.. Those that are shaking the tree or under one that is being harvested or throwing them at each other it might be a good idea to wear a hard hat.... If you doing a risky activity it makes since to have the safety equipment.

Someone not scuba diving should not have a scuba diving accident; someone nowhere near a coconut should not get their melon cracked.

It is kind of like saying a nurse shark is the most common to byte scuba divers and it is. If you throw in the additional information and track unprovoked versus provoked. There has never been an unprovoked nurse shark byte. Message - Scuba divers not go and grab a nurse shark by it tail when they are resting up under the reef shelf, they do not byte you when you're sleeping.

Talking to friends last night who sail 2-3 weeks a years in the BVI & Bahamas, mostly as a couple. I know he dives (20-25 dives experience), but he mentioned he often dives solo on these trips to 30' max. Sometimes for boat repairs/recon (stuck anchor, fouled prop, etc...) & sometimes for recreation.

I am new at SCUBA and have the buddy system hammered in me.

Just curious of some experienced divers thoughts.

In 41 years of diving i have only dove with 5 people, 3 of them only once.

buddy system!!!!
safety AND enjoyment
"did you see the size of that hammerhead?"
"wasn't that wreck the coolest thing ever?"

."..buddy could you get me untangled from this net...."

stay safe and have fun
yaeg

"Hey buddy were the hell are you?!"
"what were you thinking buddy?"

" Buddy thanks for saving me from that hammerhead..I'll remember you!" :D

ViVa SoLo!!! :wink:

As a new diver I'd erase the thought of it. Dive with a buddy, keep safe and enjoy. It's not hard to find a dive buddy.

Have fun!!!

All to true..

Last edited:
OP - Industry wide Solo Diving is still taboo.

Recreational "Industry", Commercial "Dive Industry" - do you care to qualify that statement? Are you saying that among divers it's "taboo"? Where do you get that information from, the industry journal?

Yes there is low equipment failure but how does injury and death factor in when equipment fails? What are the statics for death and injury for new drivers diving solo and without training?

Is that a function of being a solo diver, or an inexperienced diver? Panic can kill a guy with or without a buddy.

I am a certified solo driver - I dive with a team of Solo certified drivers that are all experienced drivers.

Doesn't this make you a buddy diver then?

So yes, with the extra equipment to reduce the risk, more detailed planning, the plan "filed" with someone that you check in with after, practice of handling emergencies on your own and training, it can be done and reducing the risk. I really support the training on this one. I do not think this is a fufu card like "boat driver". My training covered many scenarios that could happen and how to handle them; some that I had never thought of.

Personally, I think most recreational dive certifications are "fufu cards" - but to each his/her own. IMHO, This falls under the category of experience vs wanting to do too much too soon. Most of the stuff that people learn in these courses, you could/would pick up in due time with experience, and honestly, forums like ScubaBoard, where we can learn from other's experiences, without necessarily having to pay someone for a certification card.

As for me, while I didn't say before. I dive with a buddy or without. Generally, if I'm recreational diving, I prefer a buddy, since I already dive for work (which is more often than not - solo). Diving for pleasure is more about spending time with the buddy DIVING. However, from time to time, I will just enjoy a nice recreational dive, by myself (In Florida, in the Ocean, on familiar reefs). Depending on the circumstance, I may not take any additional "safety equipment", just a single tank with one regulator, no pony, and that's that. Let me qualify that statement with; in that situation with no additional gear, I only go as deep as I feel comfortable making an emergency ascent.

IMO you don't have enough experience unless the dives you've had so far have been on the edge and you've packed a lot of problem solving into a short time. You are posting in the Basic Scuba Discussion site looking for experienced answers? If you have to ask have to ask about solo diving IMO you are not ready. Go divng with people that have a more dives and years diving than you and learn. When your ready you'll be posting in the Solo Divers site telling us of your dives.

Back
Top Bottom