Diving Without certification...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am reminded of the signs in Cave diving: there is nothing in this cave worth dying for. Do not go beyond this point.

Patience is wise.

I guess the level of instruction would be the deciding factor for me. Just because the one is an official certification class doesn't necessarily mean the instruction will be better. It might in fact be worse.

If these guys do in fact know their stuff and if they take the time to instruct you and explain the hazards, then I'd go for it. If on the other hand they just expect you to put on a bunch of loaner gear and jump in the water, I'd stay away, now and in the future.

If you decide to do it, and all goes well, ask them to take you cave diving. It's one way to improve the gene pool.

If you decide to do it, and all goes well, ask them to take you cave diving. It's one way to improve the gene pool.
Is this called for? A new member asks a legitimate question, out of prudent regard for his safety, in basic scuba, and you reply with this? From a cave diver no less. :shakehead:

Is this called for? A new member asks a legitimate question, out of prudent regard for his safety, in basic scuba, and you reply with this? From a cave diver no less. :shakehead:

I get Kilili's humor and even the OP had a shakehead in their post.
I'm surprised that you weren't aware enough to see it.:shakehead:

Not too different from how I got my start, but looking back my start was pretty stupid. It was enough to give me the bug, though.

I would say that, since your class is already on the schedule to wait it out and start correctly. Then go diving with them. Nothing down there is worth dying for.

Peace,
Greg

Scuba forum indicted as local diving death case unravels.

WHERABOUTS, Calif. - 25 April 2010. Scubaboard.com, a scuba diving forum used by divers to talk about scuba diving, has been accused of contributing to the death of a young local man earlier this month.

The young man, who was not certified as a scuba diver, had been scuba diving with friends off the coast of Wherabouts earlier this month. It is unclear at the moment what exactly went wrong. When his friends, who did hold the necessary certifications, lost contact with him due to poor visibility conditions in the water, they surfaced but could not find their missing friend. After fifteen minutes they spotted him floating face down on the surface and towed him to the shore. All attempts to revive him failed and when paramedics arrived on the scene, he was pronounced dead.

The man had apparently been asking members of Scubaboard.com whether diving without a certification was a good idea. Scuba diving is a sport that can be hazardous and it requires certification, obtained through an intensive training programme. The young man was encouraged by several of the forum's members to go diving even though they, as certified scuba divers, were fully aware of and trained in the risks of the sport.

District Attorney Tom Tomson made the following statement: "This is an outrage. The people on this forum are at least in part responsible for this young man's tragic passing. We will prosecute this to the full extent of the law."

Scubaboard.com, already involved in several lawsuits, did not want to comment on the case at this time but said it was investigating the matter.

The forum page in question can still be accessed via http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/basic-scuba-discussions/331834-diving-without-certification.html.

Very true. My father is an avid diver and while i was growing up, he brought me out into 5-8 ft water at our lake home and would show me everything. So I have in a sense been strapped up and in the water. So i know how a regulator works, purging, bc inflation and control, using gauges etc.. He is a very qualified diver and his buddy is DM. I do trust them fully, I'm more or less wondering if this is a common occurrence with divers going out without real training. 15-20 ft is really nothing deep considering ill hit 20-30 regularly free diving. I guess if they are monitoring my dive and instructing me rather than just going off into a tangent chasing fish, then its a different story. I just don't want to get out there and that 15 ft turns into "lets go deeper" or I end up hovering over 90+ft... But the integrity of these guys are legit, they are good friends with my wife and have yrs of experience. Still, what are your thoughts, should I give it a wurl?

Hi Iimurtha1, we spoke in another thread regarding equipment.

A lot of us "oldsters" have dove before being certified. And we are still in one piece (for the most part :wink: ).

But most of will tell you up front: Get Certified First. The training is important.

You have no good reason not to get certified, and a million good reasons to get certified first.

Diving is simple, and the safety rules even simpler.... but do NOT let that lull you into a false sense of security. If you make just a little mistake, you are seriously injured, or dead.

So get the training, get the shiney cert card, then go have fun!!

Best wishes.

Scuba forum indicted as local diving death case unravels.

WHERABOUTS, Calif. - 25 April 2010. Scubaboard.com, a scuba diving forum used by divers to talk about scuba diving, has been accused of contributing to the death of a young local man earlier this month.

The young man, who was not certified as a scuba diver, had been scuba diving with friends off the coast of Wherabouts earlier this month. It is unclear at the moment what exactly went wrong. When his friends, who did hold the necessary certifications, lost contact with him due to poor visibility conditions in the water, they surfaced but could not find their missing friend. After fifteen minutes they spotted him floating face down on the surface and towed him to the shore. All attempts to revive him failed and when paramedics arrived on the scene, he was pronounced dead.

The man had apparently been asking members of Scubaboard.com whether diving without a certification was a good idea. Scuba diving is a sport that can be hazardous and it requires certification, obtained through an intensive training programme. The young man was encouraged by several of the forum's members to go diving even though they, as certified scuba divers, were fully aware of and trained in the risks of the sport.

District Attorney Tom Tomson made the following statement: "This is an outrage. The people on this forum are at least in part responsible for this young man's tragic passing. We will prosecute this to the full extent of the law."

Scubaboard.com, already involved in several lawsuits, did not want to comment on the case at this time but said it was investigating the matter.

The forum page in question can still be accessed via http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/basic-scuba-discussions/331834-diving-without-certification.html.
In a related story, attempts to identify the member known as "vladimir" were fruitless, as it appears he registered with an anonymous email address using an alias. Inquiries continue to focus on a smog-bound Chinese fortress off the coast of Guangdong, however. Attempts to locate an "intensive training programme" were equally fruitless, despite persistent rumors that they existed at one time. :D

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom