Divorce

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Louie once bubbled...
I think another question that should be put is:
"Why get MARRIED in the first place?"
With such a high percentage of marriages ending in separation and divorce, the only beneficiaries are the damn lawyers.

We take a great deal for granted as both marriage and divorce are options open to us in the modern western world (and thank goodness for that). My thoughts go to those who are - due to law, customs, religious authorities or other external constraints - either forced into marriage or forbidden to divorce.
Louie brings up some good points, although controversial... Is it possible that the institution of marriage has outlived its usefulness? Is it just a vestige of an old god-fearing society that has gone the way of the dinosaur?

Any thoughts?

I need to hear more stories like this. Given that I just had a birthday I was thinking I should settle down soon. Now I am not so sure... Besides, having a spouse, and god forbid children, would cut severely into my diving and snowboarding budgets.

Hey O-ring,

Like I said in my birthday wish to you, think twice about settling down. After you think twice about, think again. And I bet you thought I was kidding:)

My first divorce was over alcohol and a suspicion of drug use. I have no actual proof of the drug use. When I first married him, I drank. I grew out of it, but he did not.

The second divorce, he cheated. I can't say that I was very happy in the marriage but not to the point of cheating on him or divorcing him. Believe it or not, diving was one issue in the marriage.

Even though both divorces were difficult, especially the second one, I know if I stayed with him, I would not have had the experiences I have had since we split, and I would not give up these experiences for anything in the world.

And chickdiver, I agree with you 100%. Why get married when people can live together? I'm no less committed to a person if I live with them than if I marry them.

STOP THINKING!!!

and I know why people get divorced. It's just
too much trouble to tell you.

O-ring once bubbled...
Not to mention the fact that I think there is probably a solid majority on the board who think that I shouldn't be trusted to raise children.

We already know not to let you have a dog and the verdict is still out about allowing you to have goldfish for pets.

How many times do we have to tell you that it is not right to put the fish bowl on the stove to keep them warm? The theory that they float on the top because warm fish rise is not correct.

sometimes hard work and unselfish work to make the marriage go, however outside influences such as alcohol and drugs, can really throw a wrench into it.....My wife and I have been together since we were 14. Coming up to 20 years of marriage this summer. We (or she) endured my alcohol abuse in college and hung in there with me. Been lots of ups and downs, but never anything to serious. We have even lived thru raising two teenagers.:wacko: .....

One point to be made; someone mentioned the divorce rate of being over 50%. Understand the way the calculation is made. The number of marriages divided by the number of divorces in any given year. Not always 50%......

Dectek once bubbled...

We already know not to let you have a dog and the verdict is still out about allowing you to have goldfish for pets.

How many times do we have to tell you that it is not right to put the fish bowl on the stove to keep them warm? The theory that they float on the top because warm fish rise is not correct.

HA HA HA...oh man...that's funny...damn near a screen cleaner...which I (thankfully) have never had to do.

To bare before everyone one of your worst moments, for strangers ammusement is absurd. It also sends a message to any potential date you are the praverbial looser !
Wreck/Tec

and we were living together three years before that...

I don't think of us having one marriage, it seems like we have had many marriages-sometimes we are so in love we cannot keep our thoughts (etc) off each other...

other times we are as parched as a desert...

I think the trick is to have faith that the wheel will turn and you will find reasons to love your partner again...

I also think that it is bloody hard work, and if you do not think it is worth fighting for, it is a mistake to start with it...

I know for a fact that I am lucky to be with my wife, and she could have done better!

Ken

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom