Repairing Halcyon Wing Cordura

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lnjohn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have been out of the diving scene for a few years due to long divorce and my gear being with Ex for a few years. I am now getting back in and my beloved Eclipse 40 wing is fraying, the bladder and air source are still great, but I want to know if I can buy some 1000D cordura and patch this or have it sewn. I am open to brining to shop etc. It is an old wing, 2003, and Halcyon won't repair at my cost. Seeking recommendations here on my options. Here are some pics.

Attachments

• 20221014_130443.jpg
    20221014_130443.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 74
  • 20221014_130449.jpg
    20221014_130449.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 68
  • 20221014_130524.jpg
    20221014_130524.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 68
  • 20221014_130654.jpg
    20221014_130654.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 71
  • 20221015_122506.jpg
    20221015_122506.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 69
I make my own wings from scratch, and two things jump out at me from the pictures:
1) The blown seam by the zipper will be a pain in butt to patch/repair.... do-able but will suck.
2) That many frayed/failed seams makes me question if the fabric is just suffering from UV degradation in general and will continue to pop seams in the same fashion (leading to a continuous game of "fix the next leak).

Respectfully,

James

I have an industrial sewing machine and would agree with @James79 points. Unfortunately, I would consider buying a new wing.

Thanks, understandable that the warranty is not lifetime. Odd that the fabric never faded, but it does appear that it is just giving up. It was always well cared for, but I guess I thought cordura was tougher.

This is the exact reason I through treat my wings with UVTech once a year. Prevents this type of UV degradation over time.

Time for a new wing.

So I noticed a small puncture in my 2 year-old halcyon shell. Inside bladder is fine. Pictures attached (it doesn't look like much in the pic but about 1/4 inch long). Not sure how it happened. Could I try just putting on some aquaseal to see if it holds or do I need to patch it?

Just don't want it to get any larger. If I patch could I use a small square of harness material? I don't have any extra shell material. Any suggestions for repair?

IMG_1359.jpg
IMG_1358.jpg

So I noticed a small puncture in my 2 year-old halcyon shell. Inside bladder is fine. Pictures attached (it doesn't look like much in the pic but about 1/4 inch long). Not sure how it happened. Could I try just putting on some aquaseal to see if it holds or do I need to patch it?

Just don't want it to get any larger. If I patch could I use a small square of harness material? I don't have any extra shell material. Any suggestions for repair?
I don't think I'd bother, but if you were concerned, I'd use some cordura or trilam and aquaseal an 3cm square patch to the inside. Might also be able to call Halcyon and ask for a fabric scrap.

If you have a sewing machine, I would remove the bladder and just sew over that puncture with a wide zigzag stitch and super short spacing, similar to this image:
images.jpg
As long as you go past the tear/puncture by about 1/4 inch each end it will prevent ripping and fraying, and done in black heavy duty nylon thread it will blend in with the original fabric.

Respectfully,

James

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom