DIY Canister Light.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks Firediver for building a light power source the way I thought would be most obvious and proving it works. Still running good? any new mods?

I havent done any new mods... It works great. I did have to redo two endcaps because the ABS glu didn't take and reglued them with lock tight water proof and Marine goop to seal the wire gaps. IF YOU USE EPOXY, use MARINE Eposy all other stuff will deteriorate in water.
Light Works great!!!!

The light head is still leaking??? or the canister? You may have a leak at your cable gands, or your switch<pin hole in the boot maybe>.... silcone grease all your orings, put plumbers tape on your threads, and seal all areas such as the where the cable enters the light and canister with some sort of marine goop, other then that I don't know what to tell except you may want to solder in a low amp fuse somewhere in your housing or light head incase you have a leak and the fuse will keep you safe from a short circuit.

I AM DONE!! I finished mine, it still needs to be field tested. I used epoxy, not sure if it's marine or not, but I coated it with aquarium sealent, so it should hold against salt water... here's hoping. How did everyone do thier switch??? I used a toggle switch, slipped a piece of latex tubing over it, epoxied it to the pvc and filled the end with silicone...I think that will be my failure point. although I filled the inside with sealent as well so that if it fails it'll pop the fuse. here's a pic, it ain't pretty, but it's my first.

View attachment 33498

Marine epoxy comes in a double syring once is white and one is black.. when mixed it's grey :p... go figure.... it says marine epoxy on the package.. YOu do have a nice light.. Take the sealant to the switch as well so that it doesn't become a failure point.

Kevin,

Your battery housing looks very slender. Which batteries did you use for your battery pack?

Cheers,

Andrew

I used 10- 5 Ah C NiMH batteries. ...and it flooded today... *sigh, back to the drawing board. I am thinking it was one of two failure points(had water in the light and battery back) the switch and the oring at the lamp head. I tried to make that o-ring sealable so that I can charge and change bulbs no problem... I wonder too if maybe I didn't give enought time of the silicone to dry... Where did everyone get their switches? any good sites?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom