DIY Compressor Filter and Dryer designs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The type of AC granule you choose can also affect the amount of gaseous contaminant adsorbed. The pre-formed pelletized AC has much greater surface area for adsorption of VOCs than does the large granules found in the Bauer towers. In the pic below the pelletized AC is from an Irwin Air cartridge and the large granules (which might not even be coconut shell derived AC) are found in the Bauer cartridges. IMG_0044.jpg

The type of AC granule you choose can also affect the amount of gaseous contaminant adsorbed. The pre-formed pelletized AC has much greater surface area for adsorption of VOCs than does the large granules found in the Bauer towers. In the pic below the pelletized AC is from an Irwin Air cartridge and the large granules (which might not even be coconut shell derived AC) are found in the Bauer cartridges.View attachment 177817

Eh? No way. The massive mount of cleaving on the larger granules have way more surface area than the smooth pellets, the way I see it.

A ChemE could probably comment on the efficacy of using crystaline C12 vs powerdered and compressed C12, but I'll bet Bauer engineers went with the better choice...

Eh? No way. The massive mount of cleaving on the larger granuals have way more surface area than the smooth pellets, the way I see it.

The large granules and angular pieces leave much more air space between the granules such that air channels its way upwards and remains untreated. The smaller particles reduce this effect and create more surface area exposed for adsorption essentially because the pathway becomes more tortuous, but the resistance to flow increases so this must be balanced out.

Granular activated carbon selection

The large granules and angular pieces leave much more air space between the granules such that air channels its way upwards and remains untreated. The smaller particles reduce this effect and create more surface area exposed for adsorption essentially because the pathway becomes more tortuous, but the resistance to flow increases so this must be balanced out.

Granular activated carbon selection

The argument proposed is that with GACs, the pellets have pores in them vs crystalline structures. I don't know that to be true, I'm not a ChemE. But also note the following admission: "...even the optimum GAC will not overcome a deficient adsorber design". They may both be optimal in their specific filtration designs. Or more importantly, "optimal enough".

I'm naturally cautious on manufacturer sites - trust, but verify.

After reading some more and wringing my hands a bit, I went with a 16" with a repack from Jim Sheldon vs build using a hydraulic accumulator. Just couldn't find an accumulator that felt comfortable with. Maybe I'm being overly cautious - swampdiver scared my pants off enough to mentally justify the expenditure...but not at Global MFGs prices! haha :)

I'll add to my rebuild thread when I get Jim's gear and tube it up.

A. Maybe I'm being overly cautious - swampdiver scared my pants off enough to mentally justify the expenditure...but not at Global MFGs prices! haha :)

I'll add to my rebuild thread when I get Jim's gear and tube it up.

I don't know a ton about Rix compressors since I focused my attentions on Bauer when I purchased, so I didn't want to weigh in too much on the decision not to add filtration. Now that you've made a purchase I can say I think you did right. I wouldn't breathe gas from any compressor how oil-less it is without good filtration behind it. Hell now that I care for my own compressor I'm scared to breathe gas from half the comrpessors I see in local dive shops and they have good filtration, but horrible maintenance. I don't think there's such a thing as too much filtration. I run a 24 inch (I believe) stack with prepacked LF cartridges that I change way before they come close to being used up and I've still considered adding another stack with a small micron filter to shoot for OCA, and I've had continually spotless air checks every quarter.

Well in truth I went the Rix route because I wanted to avoid the HC/VOC oiled compressor issue. Final water was my main issue in starting this thread. But now I find myself with a similar 16" stack and 65240 cartridge as your typical Mako/Nuvair compressor. Come full circle, though I'll argue for different reasons ie ambient city environment. ***sigh*** Maybe I should have just bought an oiler instead. Oh well. Too late to cry over spilt milk. I just hope my air checks out ok when I get to that part.

The type of AC granule you choose can also affect the amount of gaseous contaminant adsorbed. The pre-formed pelletized AC has much greater surface area for adsorption of VOCs than does the large granules found in the Bauer towers. View attachment 177817

I agree with this logic, however just to throw a spanner/ wrench into the works, I'll relay some actual findings.

Sometime last year I was repacking my P2/ P40 securus cartridge on my 11.2cfm Verticus and found that I was out of the coarse grained MS which I normally use. No problem, I decided to use the fine grained MS I use on my 6cfm NH portable with a PO/P21 triplex cartridge instead. Actual result was that the fine grained MS only lasted about 65% as long as the coarse grained MS before the light came on for a filter change.

I think there are other factors at play that affect the longevity of the medium such as duration/dwell and the capacity of the pump itself ( no I haven't forgotten temperature ) pushing the air through. Next filter change I used the coarse MS and things were back to normal again.........something the engineers at Bauer obviously know about.

To answer some of your questions and for balance.

On the mechanical filtration side:
1. The Rix SA-6E (works built) is an oil-free, oil-less air compressor it has three particulate filters fitted as standard.
One on the air inlet side, as a general purpose particulate and pollen intake filter with two additional filters interstage
Both are a dutch mesh 10 mu stainless type filter type fitted after 2nd and 3rd stage. Three filters fitted as standard.

The EU Nitrox has an additional 2mu sintered bronze filter on the discharge side making a total of
four particulate mechanical filters fitted prior to any chemical filter tower.

2. Most chemical filter towers typically have "felt pads" some use sponge but these are simply to hold the
chemical in place in the column. However on the Rix filter system these are 7mm deep and each 10 mu
polyester weave and again on the discharge side using a long stainless body final filter with a sintered
bronze 2mu cone type 0-ring sealed filter element.

2. The measured particulate contamination from ring wear is further reduced from getting inside the
compressor tubing and from contaminating downstream pipework by the open piston back rod end
design and a rider rings acting additionally as a wiper rings on each stage wiping the piston bore
clean on the return stroke of any PTFE that doesn't stick to the piston liner.

There is therefore less measured contamination from your SA-6 without additional chemical filtration
that from most other small oil lubricated scuba compressors with filtration.

On the air purity side.

1. There has been some confusion over this filter or no filter with sports divers I believe this started
with the US Navy Seal teams using the Rix SA-6 without any additional chemical filter towers.

For a proof or purity test. We also fill without filters for potential customers to try into our own aluminium
cylinders and for them to take a trial dive as a "suck it and see" without filters. The use is always with aluminium cylinders.

When using steel cylinders a small fitter tower acting as a dehydrator with molecular sieve is used to reduce dewpoint.

With the SA-6G seal team builds the use of aluminium cylinders is essential as only water condensate has been
removed by the separators and the water vapour has NOT been reduced. This was part of the design for a particular application.

Granted an oil less system also cools the gas coils rapidly as your not trying also to cool a bucket full of hot oil, but water
vapour will condense without an additional chemical dehydrator.

Out of interest the discharge from the compressor is simply pure distilled water, nothing else.
It is perfectly safe to drink, water your plants with or use topping up car batteries with.

Critically it is perfectly safe to discharge down a public sewer or rain fall system, something that is banned un the UK with a
conventional oil lubricated compressor with its emulsified oil and water mixture.

But for diving purposes an additional dehydrator chemical filter is needed
save for two points, when using this small 18" tower you bought assuming its a black hard anodised and 3.750" in OD diameter.
Using a 2.5 inch diameter filter cartridge.

1. Only needs to be filled with molecular sieve,
2. Fit a visual humidity indicator and a back pressure regulator in that order downstream on the outlet

Activated charcoal, or activated carbon on a Rix is a waste of time and frankly a risk and it reduces performance duration.

If a catalytic converter CO removing chemical is needed its when using a petrol or gas engine drive and for that we
recommend an additional 10" tower of the same 3.75" diameter filled purely with Hopkalite downstream at the
dry end, with a filter change every two years or 1000 hours.

IMHO Don't mix Hopkalite with AC and MS in the same tower, its a cheap trick, it is a waste of money and
adds risk even more so on a conventional oil lubricated compressor.

A photo of the 10" filter is below for reference (set up as a small filter system) Iain Middlebrook

Last edited:
To answer some of your questions and for balance......

Iain Middlebrook

So Iain, this is all great info, especially since you are a well known authority on the Rix - unfortunately its late to the game for me. C'est la vie.

As such, I'd like to hear more about "Don't mix Hopkalite with AC and MS in the same tower, its a cheap trick" since this statement makes you the only outlier on the bell curve so far. Can you further explain your position please? I want to learn, and I feel there's learning to be had here! :) Thanks Mani

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom