DIY glue on wrist seals on a DUI clx450?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gravybird

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Ok I found a really old thread on this from 2007, so I'll start a fresh one:) I'm looking to possibly do this myself, and just searching for current info on where to buy seals, what type, and of course pointers for a first timer. My lds wants IMHO way too much for this. Thanks for the tips:)

I use PB300 as the primary glue and Aqua Seal mixed with a little Cotol on the inside edges. I prefer bottle type seals since I use dry gloves. Although I have a set of SI Tech permanent mount wrist rings, and a set of dry gloves for when my seals finally let go. This will allow me to service my seals in the field. My partners suit came with the wrist seal system and it has worked great after changing the glove o-ring size.

My preference is to remove the old wrist seal completely. A few minutes with a heat gun and you will be done. The PB-300 allows the seal to release fairly easy for the next seal change. Also the guy in the vid didn't start by having the bottle sticking out more. What you then do is fit the seal into what will be it's final resting position, then roll it back down the bottle. Now apply your glue and when the glue is tacky you just roll it into place. If it is out of place heat is your friend. I have a Nalgene bottle that fits my CF200 perfectly.

MEK is the solvent for PB-300. MEK is no longer available in California fortunately/unfortunately. Others use a DAP/Wilwood contact cement, but I am not sure what the solvent is for it.

2011 Retail Price List | O.S. Systems Down towards the bottom is their repair parts list.

My preference for a long term repair would be these parts listed below.
Gummifabrikken Drysuit Finishing Tape per foot
DRIS Dive Gear Drysuit Glue Although I buy PB-300 by the quart. Lasts years if you keep adding more MEK.
Si Tech Neck Tite Drysuit Neck Seal System Neck seal system works great and costs much less than a ZIP seal system.
Si Tech Oval Permanent Wrist System If you NEVER plan to use dry gloves.
Si Tech Permanent Wrist Rings for Replaceable Seals If you use dry gloves or might use dry gloves.
Si Tech Quick Clamp Dry Glove System
Si Tech Silicone Neck Seals Silicon is supposed to be the awesome, but I still have a set of latex seals to use up.
Si Tech Silicone Wrist Seals

Ok thanks for the wealth of info. I actually use sitech dry gloves with this also. Would the sitech silicone wrist seals be a good match up for what I am looking to do? Or should I stick with latex?

Ok thanks for the wealth of info. I actually use sitech dry gloves with this also. Would the sitech silicone wrist seals be a good match up for what I am looking to do? Or should I stick with latex?

Actually the SiTech silicone wrist seals are much better than the latex ones. But you need to retrofit your dry suit with the permanent installed SiTech cuff rings in order to use the silicone seals.

DUI ZIP seals are an expensive factory install. Si Tech stuff can be purchased by anyone, and be installed on almost any drysuit.

Both systems will allow the use of silicon seals. Remember you need to buy two sets in order to have a backup set. DUI's are going to cost 3 times as much.

I will definitely look into the sitech stuff than. Ya I guess it's about 500$ to have the suit shipped out to DUI, and back with getting zip seals installed, and a 90$ pressure test. That's what I was told at the lds. Glad to know I don't have to do that:)

Ok I got the good stuff on the way from DRIS. Thanks for linking them Peter_c, I got the permanent wrist cuffs, and some silicon seals to go with, along with the goodies to make em stick to the suit. Mike was very helpful on the phone helping me figure out what I need. I will post back with results/pics :)

well I got it done!!! its down in the basement drying:) it is more than a one day job, because the inside of the sleeves need to be coated with seal cement a bunch of coats because the adhesive for the permanent cuffs won't stick to the bare fabric. So after getting enough seal cement inside the suit to cover the fabric, I cleaned it up real good, than put the adhesive tape around the cuffs, placed them into the sleeves, lined it up real good, and went to town with the heat gun. I was real surprised how hard and strong the adhesive tape dried up too. Than I went around the outside of the cuffs, and sleeves with aquaseal, and cotol. It almost looks like I have done this before:) I will get some pics up in a bit

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom