DIY Regulator Maintenance Discussion: MARES

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks afishianado. Very informative. I have 3 sets of Mares regs that I have not opened to service because someone will break my knuckles. 2 of them are less than a year old, so I have some time to get more familiar with them. I am definitely more at ease with My MK 5's and R 109's. I hope that parts are as easy to come by as you say. I feel bad because I bought a 108 off of ebay for $9 so I could scavenge the rubber purge cover and exhaust T for one of my R109s. It was heartbreaking because the 108 was in such good condition. I hope I wont have to do something like that for my Mares regs. Keep the info coming on the Mares!

Thanks afishianado. Very informative. I have 3 sets of Mares regs that I have not opened to service because someone will break my knuckles. 2 of them are less than a year old, so I have some time to get more familiar with them. I am definitely more at ease with My MK 5's and R 109's. I hope that parts are as easy to come by as you say. I feel bad because I bought a 108 off of ebay for $9 so I could scavenge the rubber purge cover and exhaust T for one of my R109s. It was heartbreaking because the 108 was in such good condition. I hope I wont have to do something like that for my Mares regs. Keep the info coming on the Mares!

Bad news - the exhaust_ts are probably not interchangeable. On the original models, they were quite different to the point where a 108 T on a 109 was very uncomfortable. I believe the new T may be universal and will fit both comfortably.

I am definitely up for meeting up with Herman to test out his device. Will report back if it functions well with the MARES Regs. Thanks all for the kind words, glad someone gets something from it. More details will be coming shortly.

Good to know those seats fit the MR22 as well. The MARES V16 uses it also, which is next reg on my list to do.

~Chris

So far, I've had no problem getting Mares rebuild kits. They are on ebay for apporximately retail plus a little, and I think ScubaToys will sell them (but you need to call them directly, they are not listed on the ScuabToys website).

Rebuilding the MR-12 is no more difficult than the Mk5 (actually, I think it is easier). You do need compressed air to blow out the HP crown/orifice and diaphragm, but other than that it is pretty easy and fast.

Best wishes.

So far, I've had no problem getting Mares rebuild kits. They are on ebay for apporximately retail plus a little, and I think ScubaToys will sell them (but you need to call them directly, they are not listed on the ScuabToys website).

Rebuilding the MR-12 is no more difficult than the Mk5 (actually, I think it is easier). You do need compressed air to blow out the HP crown/orifice and diaphragm, but other than that it is pretty easy and fast.

Best wishes.
Thanks. That is very good to know. Thank you for the heads up with Scuba Toys.

Bad news - the exhaust_ts are probably not interchangeable. On the original models, they were quite different to the point where a 108 T on a 109 was very uncomfortable. I believe the new T may be universal and will fit both comfortably.
Thanks Awap. I was more interested in the 108's rubber purge cover. I am a bit disappointed about the exhaust T though. I haven't tried switching yet. It is a shame because I would have liked to have made that 108 the octopus on my spare reg set. It is in such good condition, especially the chrome. If I find an extra purge cover, problem would be solved.

Slight thread :hijack:

Lucca,

The honking you are describing (coming from the 2nd stage) may or may not be corrected by replacing the 2nd stage diaphragm.

As mentioned, the honking is often caused by the diaphragm resonating during inhalation. Many different 2nd stages can do this, and it is not often a safety issue.

If this is happening underwater (less common than on the surface) is could be a problem with the lever height adjustment in the 2nd stage. This is something a competent Mares tech can check quickly, but it really needs to be tested with the regulator connected to a tank and pressurized.

Properly adjusted Mares 2nd stages will produce a slight "click" or "tap" sound if you gently shake the 2nd stage when the regulator is connected to a tank and pressurized... But there will be no clicking sound when the regulator is unpressurized. The "click" is the sound of the demand lever hitting the bottom of the diaphragm, and indicates that there is just a tiny bit of "slack" or play in the demand lever. It take a little experience to know how much of a "click" you should hear.... it should not be a loud "clack", which would indicate the demand lever has too much free play, but you should hear it lightly tap the diaphragm, otherwise it does not have enough free play and the regulator will be too sensitive...

When I adjust my Mares 2nd stages, I remove all free play from the lever (by raising the lever height) until the "click" disappears (with the regulator pressurized), then lower the demand lever until the "click" just barely returns.

Rotating the 2nd stage diaphragm or flipping the 2nd stage spring are also possible solutions. Unless you are comfortable working on your own regulator (and understand exactly what you are doing) this is something you will probably need a regulator tech to do for you.

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom