DIY Regulator Maintenance Discussion: MARES

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have been able to get the Mares kits as well. The price is still obnoxious for what is in the kit. This is why I wanted to do a thread like this. There is no magic in the kit. All of the real wear parts that require frequent replacement are common parts that can be had in bulk for cheap. That, or are 3rd sourceable, or DIYable.

I don't think the honking reg issue a threadjack. It is part of the DIY reg maintenance discussion so why not.

Thanks again for going to the trouble to post this, Chris. This is really helpful because I currently own and service 6 sets of Mares regs. In case the standard parts "sources" ever dry up (or to save some money) it is good to know the "generic" sizes and sources for o-rings and seats.

I expecially appreciate the alternate source for 1st stage diaphragms (I believe all of the Mares diaphragm firsts share the same diaphragm). I'd be comfortable using the "awap treatment" on 2nd stage seats, but not as confident with getting the correct sized punch and proper material for the 1st stage diaphragm.

Best wishes.

Why can't I edit my previous posts? How am I supposed to format this thread correctly If I can't edit my own posts?

So after some research I found this..

Can I edit my own posts?
If you have registered, you will be able to edit your posts. Your ability to edit your posts is limited to 24 hours, after that point you will have to ask a Moderator to make any changes, you will not have the right to delete posts.

To edit your posts, click the button by the post you want to edit.

After you have made your modifications, a note appears, which notifies other users that you have edited your post. Administrators and Moderators may also edit your messages but this note may not appear when they do so.

Can a moderator help me out here? I want to edit my posts as I go along for the sake of clarity and completeness. Please let me do this. this is the first internet forum I have used that does not allow editing your own post after 24 hours.

This post will discuss the Mares V16 1st stage regulator

kitV16.jpg

This 1st stage is fairly common and very simple to work on. The OEM rebuild kit is identified as MARES part # 46186151 for the Yoke type and part #46186152 for the DIN type "Service Kit". This is for the MARES MRV16/V22/V32... so there will be some parts not used according to your specific application. It includes the following parts.

46185015 "Retaining Ring" 1EA
46186202 "Conical Sintered Filter" 1EA
46185038 "Back-up ring" 1EA
46110106 "O-Ring" 3EA
46110101 "O-Ring" 1EA
46110108 "O-Ring" 2EA
46110107 "O-Ring" 1EA
46110211 "O-Ring" 2EA

I will start with what is not included in the kit. MARES decides not to include the HP seat with this kit. The MARES part # is 46186304. This seat is identical in appearance to the MARES 46185002 used in the MR12 to the US Divers/Aqualung Part # 105940 used in the Conshelf and Titan type regs, also and to the 3rd party Trident part # A-244. I think the difference in part # is that the trimaterial version is used for the V16. I can't be sure just yet.. can anyone verify? either way... the other one fits and works

MARES also does not include the diaphragm in the kit which is MARES part #46185022. This part is the same as the MR12 and most likely all other MARES 1st stage diaphragms. looks like Aqualung/US Divers uses the same one in their Conshelf and Titan types. You can use the Trident Part # A163, it is a perfect replacement. I am also starting to look at making these from sheet stock much in the same way that AWAP did with the soft seats. As long as you get the dimensions right which are 34.8mm diameter and 1.65mm thick

ok, back to the parts kit...

46185015 "Retaining Ring" 1EA
This item is also the same as the Aqualung/US Divers Part # 863051 and is basically just an HO type Internal SS Snap ring. It is easily available from McMaster Carr as part # 91580A151 http://www.mcmaster.com/#internal-snap-rings/=ad8k8p

46185038 "Back-up ring" 1EA
This item is a simple PFTE split Back-up ring for AS568A O-Ring size 005. You can easily get this from McMaster Carr as well as Part # 9560K31. The strange thing is that this backs up a size -006 O-Ring in the MARES reg, but they do use the -005 back up ring. They use it becasue it works and it fits. Pictures of the OEM kit part and the McMaster part that I call for side by side and one on top of the other.

46186202 "Conical Sintered Filter" 1EA
Trying to to find an exact match for these currently. They have the same diameter as the disc types, perhaps you can use a disc type in there instead I haven't checked yet. The conical shape just gives it more surface area which should help it last longer before it gets clogged. Anyone with a good source for these?

46110101 "O-Ring" 1EA This is a VITON -006, also easy to get at McMaster Carr as part # 9464K11. This is a Durometer 75 hardness. Some people are using harder O-Rings or PFTE for this application but I think the 75 is fine considering that I can easily and cheaply replace it whenever I need to.

Just for information sake the other O-rings are as follows, some are for the hose ends so not really part of the 1st stage.

46110106 "O-Ring" 4EA is a British Standard Extended Series -610
46110108 "O-Ring" 2EA is a British Standard Extended Series -611
46110107 "O-Ring" 1EA is an AS568A -011
46110211 "O-Ring" 1EA is an AS568A -014

Last edited:
I'd be comfortable using the "awap treatment" on 2nd stage seats, but not as confident with getting the correct sized punch and proper material for the 1st stage diaphragm.

FYI

I measured the OEM Diaphragm to be the exact same thickness, .06(with a digital caliper) as the EPDM that many of us use for the AWAP seats. You could easy carve one out of the material with an exacto. You could also buy a punch but they are on the order of $80...so, I won't be doing that. Aqualung uses basically the same diaphragm but with fabric sandwiched between the layers of EPDM like this Cloth Inserted Fabric Reinforced EPDM Rubber | Rubber Sheet Roll

it is fairly pricey from them, but you get the idea

where do you buy the parts? I used to buy from Scubatoys, but they are now sticky, quoting new Mares regulations....
thanks, Mike

where do you buy the parts? I used to buy from Scubatoys, but they are now sticky, quoting new Mares regulations....
thanks, Mike

I listed sources other than Mares for all of the parts used. Most of the parts come from McMaster Carr. A few of them from Trident, you need to have a store nearby that will sell to you as Trident doesn't sell direct.

thanks, Mike

I'm sorry to hear that regarding Scubatoys. That is really bad news, I had been steering folks to them for rebuild kits for a couple years; but had enough of a "stash" that I had not actually needed to call them myself.

My last purchase of Mares rebuild kits was about 6 months ago on ebay however, because the price and shipping was identical to what I'd previously paid from a "dealer" source.

Mares rebuild kits are a bit "pricey" regardless of the source; not the most expensive kits, but nearly.

If you have trouble locating rebuild kits on ebay, send me a PM and I'll see if I have any links.

I do believe all of the "soft" OEM parts should have a generic match....

Question: Does anyone know if the Aqualung 1st stage rebuild kits (Titan) come with the HP poppet? Or is it a separate part, like with Mares?

Best wishes.

Question: Does anyone know if the Aqualung 1st stage rebuild kits (Titan) come with the HP poppet? Or is it a separate part, like with Mares?

Best wishes.

Yes they do. If you want to tell me the part # that you are looking at I can PM you the same type of info that I have in this thread.

psst...Aqualung Titan is going to be my next treatment

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom