DIY Regulator Service - Conshelf XIV

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am about to get a few sets of Conshelf XIV regulator sets back in service and wanted to see if the best option to service them is to purchase kits from a source like vintagedoublehose.com or is there a better way to go about it like getting the o-rings from other sources in essence making my own service kit. I did see a thread which identifies most of the o-rings. I'm not too concerned with my ability to service them and don't mind spending the money ($42 or so per 1st and 2nd stage set for kit) although if there is a less expensive way to go I'm all ears. I assume there are a few parts in the kits that aren't as simple to place as o-rings but perhaps I'm wrong.

Here are the two kits I found at vintagedoublehose.com for the XIV. Should I expect to need too much more assuming hoses and mouthpieces check out? Anyone with experience on these kits?

Store - Vintage Double Hose

I learned to dive 23 years ago on these regs and instead of spending money on new ones I'd like to use them again.

you can probably source the o-rings cheaper, but you aren't going to have an easy time getting diaphragms and HP seats.

For now, I'd probably just get the parts kits, and you'll really only have to service them every 5+ years if you take care of them, so wouldn't get too worried about it.

I would however recommend replacing all of the exhaust valves as at 20+years old, they're going to need it
check the inhalation diaphragms as those may need to be replaced as well depending on where you stored them. The combo of the two diaphragms controls a huge portion of your work of breathing and having old ones in there is probably going to kill how they breathe.
If you need inhalation diaphragms @herman may be able to point you in the right direction.

regarding hoses and mouthpieces. Mouthpieces are mostly universal though the old metal regs have a smaller orifice than many new ones. No need to get OEM though so if you want to go with something like Seacure or the Aqualung comfobites, that's no issue *Apeks comfobites will likely be too big and not create a proper seal and/or fall off*.
Hoses are all going to be universal on these so determine your preferred hose lengths *I am a fan of the GUE standard hose lengths*, and whether you prefer rubber or braided *I prefer rubber*, and off you go. VDH is a bit expensive on the hose side, so I would go to Cave Adventurers or Dive Gear Express for those and mouthpieces.

I don't have a manufactures section on SB so I'll do my best to comment within the forum parameters.

There are two service kits which contain the 2nd stage exhaust valve. They both also contain the purge valve retaining circlip which is quite often rusted on USD Metal second stages.
Main diaphragms are rarely bad in these 2nd stages and a good soap and water cleanup is usually all that is required.

There is always a way to do it cheaper and I realize that a lot of folks enjoy the thrill of DIY regulator repair by hunting bins at home improvement and auto parts stores.....As the saying goes, To each their own... But if everyone took this route and bypassed me and others like me completely the motivation and financial ability to continue reproducing specialty parts that are no longer supplied by the original manufacture quickly evaporates.

You're not going to save much money trying to source o-rings for conshelfs separately because there are only a few o-rings to begin with. Vdh is also much more than a source for parts; the forum there is very knowledgeable and there is a wealth of information and support.

Is there a difference in the two kits mentioned? It seems the wisest and simplest solution which is what I intended from the get go is to buy the kits from VDH. I was hoping to hear what I have as I'd rather spend time doing other things than hunting down parts to make my own service kit. I appreciate those selling them and helping all of us out.

Mainly I want to make sure I get what is needed and appreciate the great insights. Glad to hear the 2nd stage main diaphragm likely will be ok. I need to get all the gear out and check but I should have 3-4 complete reg sets including octos to go through. I have 4 sons and the oldest is getting certified soon so starting to think ahead on having gear for a family of divers including the Mrs.

I found Herman had tools for the Conshelf so I will be going through his catalog and figuring out what is worth purchasing. If anyone has insights there as well let me know what are the must haves.

You're in good hands with Bryan, the work he has done for the DIY "vintage" crowd is awesome.

As for the tools, I find Herman's HP Nozzle tool to be worth its weight in gold. Something so simple saves a ton of time.

Hi Dale

I guess I'm late to this thread.

I've bought maybe 6 1st stage and 10 2nd stage service kits from VDH. Most of them for Conshelfs, a couple for old Cousteau 1st stages. They're great kits. I find them to be a good value.

You can get o-rings anywhere but I don't know where you would get diaphragms or seats.

Be careful with the mouthpieces. The older Aqua-Lung regulators have a smaller mouthpiece fitting than is in use today and newer mouthpieces will tend to slip off unless held in place with a very tight ziplock. They are also prone to leaking just enough to breathe wet.

Don't play around with trying to save a few bucks.. I have a pile of conshelf XIV's.. They are a bullet proof regulators and just order a few kits for VDH and put all new hoses on them.. I had a high pressure hose blow out with a bang with no warning.. Son turned on the tank a few minutes later it blew up... One you go through them.. water them really good and hang to dry.. They'll be great for years and years to come... I went 37 years on a conshelf XIV supreme first stage before it blew the high pressure seat...

Jim...

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom