DIY Single Tank Adapter?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

retnug:
I made the one out of a piece of 10" PVC pipe that I got from the scrap file at a plumbing supply place. Cut the shape I want. Heat in the oven until warm and a little flexible. Lay over a tank and let it cool. Cut slots for the bands using a jig saw.
Be carefull heating PVC can cause it to release toxic fumes

I used some 4" PVC - cut a 4" length off of it - cut that in half, put it in the oven for a few minutes and made each piece into a |_____| shape. Drilled a hole and used tapered ss bolts (no countersinking required, they press into the PVC just right - bolted one in the top and one on the bottom holes of the wing/bp - threaded the cam bands through the bp and it works quite nicely - plus only costs about $3-$5 depending on how much PVC you "have" to buy from the hardware store at a time. I'll try to post pictures when I get home from work.

One thing I like about them is that the cam bands are not tightening against the pvc, but the SS backplate - so in the unlikely event that my STA fails the tank is still secured to the BP.

Tim

Yuri,

In some cases you are bringing up threads that are over 10 years old. It may be more productive to check if the members that posted the drawings are still active and send them a private message. Also I thought you purchased a BP/W from DGX?

In any case this link may be helpful. Backplate Template

Yes, sorry for that, I have already checked with Huwporter 2 days ago.. Sent him an e-mail and PM.. Still waiting for response..
Once again sorry for reviving old thread..

About the Backplate.. The DGX one arrived few days ago.. But currently I'm looking for a plate with built in STA like the Mark Meadows, Golem Gear Streamer and thw H-Plate Huwporter..
I thought it would be more stramlined to use that kind of plate.. :)
Currently leaning towards the Golem Gear Streamer.. But I figured I might as well make one from Aluminium to make it even lighter.. Just haven't found someone who can make one for me..

A few suggestions:

1) On the link I posted Huw does give the folds for making a plate with an STA built in. It would seem a simple matter to have the excess material cut away.

2) I have seen other plates like the Golem Stream but from European and Australian vendors. I am not sure why they are more popular there. You may want to try looking at European or Australian diving sites.

3) Do you need the STA? If not, then a fabric plate from Oxycheq or Zeagle may be a lighter more compact solution.

4) There is a guy on here called Rich Keller who uses a modified commercial diving harness. You may want to look at his posts and contact him if you are interested. His harness is perfectly flat so it would be easy for a metal or plastics shop to duplicate.

Thank you for your suggestion.. Will look into it.. :)

About the Fabric Plate.. Apeks, ScubaPro, Halcyon, etc are readily available here.. What is the pros and cons compared to metal one..?

Besides Zeagle and Oxycheq both Apeks and Scubapro also sell a fabric plate. The pros are it is lighter and takes up less space than a metal backplate. The disadvantage is gives no weight, so more weight is needed on the weight belt or pockets. Some say they can't be used with an STA but I think with book screws it could.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom