DIY Single Tank Adapter?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would suggest a commercial diving harness instead. They exceed the standards of every commercial diving organization and navy worldwide. Along with being of a much higher quality they are also cheeper then the sport diving knock offs. I have seen them go for as little as $25 on ebay in good used condition, new they are about $150. This one is from the 1980s but the newer ones are made to be used with standard cam bands and wings.

IMG_2365.jpgIMG_2364.jpg

What is the advantage of using Commercial Diving Harness..? Does it qualify for my requirement of light weight for travel..? And could you also help me out on more info about the Commercial Diving Harness..? Would like to read more about it..

Thank you for your sugestions.

PS : I currently have the DGX Custom Harness package with DiveRite Travel EXP wing and Aluminium BP, and I'm looking for a BP with Built-In STA that is also lightweight and can fit into my current setup. So far I think the Golem Gear Streamer will fit with my setup.

What is the advantage of using Commercial Diving Harness..? Does it qualify for my requirement of light weight for travel..? And could you also help me out on more info about the Commercial Diving Harness..? Would like to read more about it..

It is lighter because there is no metal back plate. There is no ridge running down the middle so you do not need a STA and the tank is much closer to your back reducing your profile in the water. The webbing used is much better and it is riveted together so even after decades of use it will not fail. This site will show you the different types of harnesses that are available, I would recommend the standard harness listed there at about $150. The bell harness I showed you would be over kill for your needs, I only use it because I had that type left over from when I worked as a commercial diver.

Commercial Diving Harnesses and Backpacks

Hello, currently I'm looking at this..

Atlantic Diving Equipment Backpack Standard - Large

I want to ask, how do you fit a Dive Rite Travel EXP Wing to that Backplate? Do I have to drill the hole? Or is there any way to attach it that I don't know about? Please share some more info..
Thank you for your help. :D

I would suggest a commercial diving harness instead. They exceed the standards of every commercial diving organization and navy worldwide. Along with being of a much higher quality they are also cheeper then the sport diving knock offs. I have seen them go for as little as $25 on ebay in good used condition, new they are about $150. This one is from the 1980s but the newer ones are made to be used with standard cam bands and wings.

View attachment 204662View attachment 204663

what's the ring for behind the neck?

It's called
I believe since Commercial Diver usually use Compressor and only carry bailout tanks, maybe the ring is used to tie rope from the surface?
Still wondering how to adapt the Backplate for use with Dive Rite Wing.. Maybe really need to drill a hole in it..

what's the ring for behind the neck?

This one is a bell harness, the ring is for attaching a line so you can bring an unconscious diver up into the diving bell. You would not have any use for this in sport diving.

Last edited:
I made this STA magically appear in front of me inside of a box by paying a fee of roughly $40 and not spending any time driving around and burning gas (which hurts the environment from what I understand). This was before I even got into the business side of diving. It was pretty easy and I am sure that anyone could do the same.

Dive_Rite_STA.jpg

I believe since Commercial Diver usually use Compressor and only carry bailout tanks, maybe the ring is used to tie rope from the surface?

The umbilical is not attached to that ring, it is attached to the ring by the divers left hip, it then runs behind your back to the side block on the right side of your helmet. The silver fitting on the left hip ring is a quick release snap shackle used to secure the umbilical to the harness so it can be quickly removed if needed. The snap shackle is something used on sail boats that was adopted for this purpose.

---------- Post added March 14th, 2015 at 04:57 PM ----------

Still wondering how to adapt the Backplate for use with Dive Rite Wing.. Maybe really need to drill a hole in it..

Mine is from the 80s and was made prior to the wings used today and commercial divers do not usually use BCDs anyway. I just used a marlin spike from a rigging knife to open a hole in the webbing on the harness so a bolt could be put through it in line with the holes in the wing. I use the same type of bolt used on a regular BP/W but it is a little longer as the webbing is thicker then the plate, I also have the bolt going through the cam bands as well and I used larger washers on each side then you would need on a plate. New harnesses may have holes spaced for a wing, if not you could just make your own holes and attach the wing as you normally would. This is what the finished product looks like. I elected not to use the standard holes in the wing so I could set the cam bands further apart but you would not need to do that.

IMG_2673.jpgIMG_2672.jpgIMG_2374.jpgIMG_2373.jpgIMG_2372.jpg

Last edited:
(Drum roll please)

Joshua Norris of Air Hogs Scuba for this little gem of knowledge:

I made this STA magically appear in front of me inside of a box by paying a fee of roughly $40 and not spending any time driving around and burning gas (which hurts the environment from what I understand). This was before I even got into the business side of diving. It was pretty easy and I am sure that anyone could do the same.

Why? The OP already has a commerical STA and is looking at a more compact solution.

Last edited by a moderator:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom