DIY undies...fleece source

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Damselfish:
Check Seattle Fabrics http://www.seattlefabrics.com, all sorts of outdoorsy fabrics mail order, they also have a store but at the other end of the state from you..
Good link! They have Polartec 300®.
Yeah, it may be ont the other side of the state, but so is all the great diving, so I go there often. In fact, leaving next friday for 3 days on the coast, so I'll make a stop. Thanks!

I got my stuff at Jo-Ann Fabrics. I have 100, 200 and 300 weight clothing bought from EMS and the Alpine Solid Fleece is the same weight as my 200 weight. My wife is making me a full suit out of the Alpine Solid Fleece. I'm also buying a couple yards of Thinsulate which you can find online (though at $20 a yard) for my core. Otherwise I'm just going to layer with polyprop underneath which I picked up at Gander Mountain for $15 a piece on a 75% end of season clearance.

darylm74:
I got my stuff at Jo-Ann Fabrics. I have 100, 200 and 300 weight clothing bought from EMS and the Alpine Solid Fleece is the same weight as my 200 weight. My wife is making me a full suit out of the Alpine Solid Fleece. I'm also buying a couple yards of Thinsulate which you can find online (though at $20 a yard) for my core. Otherwise I'm just going to layer with polyprop underneath which I picked up at Gander Mountain for $15 a piece on a 75% end of season clearance.
Can you share the link for Thinsulate?
thanks

Rick- several computers (and viruses) ago I had a bunch of links stored for the same reason. Only one I can find at this time is www.rockywoods.com. Thinsulate is a brand name and there are other materials that are virtually the same for less money. A search engine look some time ago even turned up Kevlar by the yard. Biggest problem was I couldn't find a single sewing pattern. Also, when I estimated the material and cost it didn't look much cheaper than buying a ready made suit. Send Bob3 a PM. As a Viking dealer, he may have a deal for you on their undies. If you do make your own, let us know where you found a pattern.

The place I found the thinsulate was http://www.americanhomeandhabitat.com/ They have the heavy denier stuff for making weight pockets and stuff as well. My wife is using a pattern from McCalls that pretty much makes fuzzy pj's, which is all the undergarments really are, but in adult size. She is then using the same pattern with the nylon and quilting it n the fleece so that it looks exactly like the Andies and DUI undergarments we found at the LDS for $600. My wife has just gotten into sewing this year and I bought her both the sewing machine and a server. I just thought this is a good way to get something out of the investment.

Thinsulate is expensive but for around your core, you only need a couple yards.

darylm74:
The place I found the thinsulate was http://www.americanhomeandhabitat.com/ They have the heavy denier stuff for making weight pockets and stuff as well. My wife is using a pattern from McCalls that pretty much makes fuzzy pj's, which is all the undergarments really are, but in adult size. She is then using the same pattern with the nylon and quilting it n the fleece so that it looks exactly like the Andies and DUI undergarments we found at the LDS for $600. My wife has just gotten into sewing this year and I bought her both the sewing machine and a server. I just thought this is a good way to get something out of the investment.

Thinsulate is expensive but for around your core, you only need a couple yards.
Very good. My wife wants to know if you have the pattern number. THX!

Below is what my wife sent me:

Its McCalls pattern Number 3860. It is pattern "E" in the package. It runs about $15, so they need to watch for a McCalls sale at Joann Fabrics (next one is end of next week) for $0.99 patterns. Give them this link:

http://store.sewingtoday.com/cgi-bi...400003860=x&TI=40013&pageNum=2&M=&UK=31927444

I know she is making some modifications to the pattern though. She's leaving the legs and the arms open with no elastic and she's goign to put the elastic loops for the feet and the thumbs which help suit from riding up when you step into your drysuit. Pretty standard features on most undergarmets. I know the patter looks a bit dorky though. I'm just doing mine in a Navy Blue. Hopefully my wife will be done with mine soon so I can put pics on here soon. Take a look at the pattern and make sure this is what you wanted. It was the closest thing we could find.

darylm74:
Below is what my wife sent me:

Its McCalls pattern Number 3860. It is pattern "E" in the package. It runs about $15, so they need to watch for a McCalls sale at Joann Fabrics (next one is end of next week) for $0.99 patterns. Give them this link:

http://store.sewingtoday.com/cgi-bi...400003860=x&TI=40013&pageNum=2&M=&UK=31927444

I know she is making some modifications to the pattern though. She's leaving the legs and the arms open with no elastic and she's goign to put the elastic loops for the feet and the thumbs which help suit from riding up when you step into your drysuit. Pretty standard features on most undergarmets. I know the patter looks a bit dorky though. I'm just doing mine in a Navy Blue. Hopefully my wife will be done with mine soon so I can put pics on here soon. Take a look at the pattern and make sure this is what you wanted. It was the closest thing we could find.

Thanks!!
Can I leave on the bunny ears and tail??:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom