DM blew me off

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

(Frowny Nod)

As a newish DM, I'll take away the following points:

* Discuss the plan for low air diver with the team, before the dive.
* Evaluate individual divers on the team before we get in the water- find clarity where divers are inexperienced and fill in the gaps as possible.
* Identify the divers who are likely to deviate from training and the plan.
* Excuse unprepared divers from the dive.

I haven't had to excuse an unprepared diver yet, so maybe training is generally good?

As a new open water diver I have learned the following points:

-discuss and develop a clear game plan with the DM if you are low on air. If he deviates from it dump him and look after yourself. Its your life.
-try to get a sense of the guys character--does he seem to care about the divers in his group--is he true to his word--if you get an uncomfortable feeling about him--dump him and find someone else. Its your life
-set your limits and if he doesn't respect them dump him and look after yourself. Its your life.

As a new open water diver I have learned the following points:

-discuss and develop a clear game plan with the DM if you are low on air. If he deviates from it dump him and look after yourself. Its your life.
-try to get a sense of the guys character--does he seem to care about the divers in his group--is he true to his word--if you get an uncomfortable feeling about him--dump him and find someone else. Its your life
-set your limits and if he doesn't respect them dump him and look after yourself. Its your life.

You have lived and now you have learned.

Good for you Brnt999...keep diving and as your experience will grow, so will you :)

BTW - I had an instructor run out of air and abandoned the entire group of divers (I was the only student). I too ran out of air on the long swim back to the boat. What a learning experience that was. At the time I was very mad...looking back on the incident, I have no respect for that instructor or dive operation, but I did approach my future dive education differently and became a more self-relient diver and learned the proper OOA procedures, like gas management, surfacing and deploying a SMB.

If you keep diving you'll probably do the same to other buddies you meet on the dive boat, or are paired up with by the crew

I really hate comments like this. They may be true, but it is SO unnecessary . . . it is quite possible to become a good buddy, and to dive with good buddies. I know I flog the DIR thing, but I can travel anywhere in the world, and put a call out for dive buddies, and be absolutely SURE I'll dive with somebody who is respectful of the water and takes diving together seriously. It just makes me sad that the whole diving world isn't like that.

I really hate comments like this. They may be true, but it is SO unnecessary . . . it is quite possible to become a good buddy, and to dive with good buddies. I know I flog the DIR thing, but I can travel anywhere in the world, and put a call out for dive buddies, and be absolutely SURE I'll dive with somebody who is respectful of the water and takes diving together seriously. It just makes me sad that the whole diving world isn't like that.

“Denial is a save now, pay later scheme.”

“Trust that what causes alarm probably should, because when it comes to danger, intuition is always right in at least two important ways:
1) It is always in response to something.
2) It always has your best interest at heart.”

-Gavin de Becker (Yeah, I like quoting people, in this case one that has made multiple millions of dollars successfully predicting human behavior.)

I agree, it is unnecessary: learn to solo dive and one will neither have to do that nor put out a call for anything :wink:

“Denial is a save now, pay later scheme.”

“Trust that what causes alarm probably should, because when it comes to danger, intuition is always right in at least two important ways:
1) It is always in response to something.
2) It always has your best interest at heart.”

-Gavin de Becker (Yeah, I like quoting people, in this case one that has made multiple millions of dollars successfully predicting human behavior.)

I have never heard of Gavin de Becker, but I'm guessing those quotes weren't intended for scuba diving.

Please state the point you're making.

I too have no idea what you are trying to say with your Gavin de Baker quote???

I too have no idea what you are trying to say with your Gavin de Baker quote???

The quote is saying to trust your instincts --your intuition.If something doesn't feel right it probably isn't.

The quote is saying to trust your instincts --your intuition.If something doesn't feel right it probably isn't.

I sure like the way you said it better :)

Back
Top Bottom