DM's/ instructors on vacation.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jim Hicks had one that NAUI used for a while: SEABAG

S - Site Is the chosen site diveable under the prevailing weather and tidal conditions? Are currents, riptides, or other hazards present?

E - Emergency What are the established emergency procedures? Is emergency oxygen available? Where is the closest decompression chamber?

A - Activities What is the purpose of the dive? Are there any special risks or concerns that must be addressed?

B - Buoyancy check negative and positive buoyancy control devices, this includes environmental suits and equipment, know where your buddies weights are in case you have to drop them.

A - Air Both buddies check each other's first and second stages, confirm the locations of their octopuses, and proof check by breathing from each other's equipment. Know Surface Air Consumption (SAC) rates and how much air you and your buddy have before you get wet.

G - Gear- check your gear, go.

There have been some cases in the last year or so that i recall hearing about a good samaritan who stopped to help someone that was in trouble, that someone either got hurt a little more, or something else happened where the sued the good samaritan. I don't recall if they won or not, just saying.

This is kinda the same thing yes? If I present the DM cert, if my insurance is not paid up, am i still considered a DM? Am i still liable if the overweight, under 10 dives, diving in current newb that i get stuck with gets hurt?

Something similar actually happened in Bonaire my first time. I went with my LDS, was working towards my MSD, but hadn't gotten DM yet. had close to 100 dives, so was experienced and very comforable. I got paired with a newb cause i travel solo. First dive we do, she shoots to the surface from prolly about 40 feet. Nothing happened to her thankfully, but i shudder to think what might have happened. Every dive we did after that was 30 feet or less. I was really kinda pissed cause it was my first vacation and i get stuck with a newb

I'm not confrontational by nature, so i never said anything. I think i would have to now though.

The California case was a rather unique one of a kind situation in which, as I recall, some one who was intoxicated exacerbated the injuries of someone who had been in a car accident by violently removing them from the car because they thought the car might expode like they do on TV.

While on vacation, Do any Divemasters / instructors (no students in their charge) hide the fact they are indeed DMs / instructors to prevent being included in a possible Lawsuit against a dive op. should something happen? Has this ever happend to anyone here?

why not---our son does it all the time........

Back
Top Bottom