Do Barracuda Bite Back??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've never shot a 'cuda but spent some time growing up in a place where a lot of people fished for them. They were very good eating.

IIRC, the larger ones were more at risk for carrying ciguera as it's a toxin they pick up from eating smaller fish that have eaten something containing the toxin. The larger the fish, the more accumulation they have of it.

There were a couple of "home remedy" methods of determining if one was safe to eat that I recall seeing.

I am not a marine biologist and I did not stay at the Holiday Inn last night. The following information is just an observation. If you try it and you get sick, it's your own fault!

One method was to cut a slit in a portion of the meat and then put a silver dime in about halfway. It had to be a real silver dime for it to work, and if the meat was bad, the portion of the dime sticking in the meat would turn black.

Another one was the "ant test." They would put a slice of the meat out for the ants, and if the ants wouldnt eat it, neither would the people.

The last one was the dog/cat test. A small bit would be offered to a dog or cat and if they sniffed it and then turned away without taking it the fish was discarded.

I saw my parents and grandparents do these "tests" on numerous occasions and we never had a tainted fish. There is no guarantee it will work for you!

I also recall brushing my hand against the mouth of one that was being cleaned and splitting my finger wide open on its teeth. That's been enough to discourage me from intentionally shooting one.

All those tests are wives tales! YouTube - Spearfishing Cuda

I've shot about 15 or so barracuda. Biggest was about 14 lbs. Never had one try to attack me afterwards. I had free shafted one and it was swimming around in a very erratic manner as it died. At one point it was coming straight at me with its formidable teeth showing...but it wasn't active aggression. He then fell to the bottom, dead.
I eat them here but avoid the big ones. If I catch a big one fishing I throw it back.

I shot a big cobia last year on a wreck in 120' of water and got surrounded by huge. I was near the anchor line so I ascended with the cobia on the shaft at the end of my line while the cudas circled me like indians circling a wagon train. They followed me all the way to the boat, but never made a pass on the cobia or me. I was a little spooked, that had never happened before.

I only shot one baracuda and im never gonna do it again. I shoot with pole spears and i came across a school of about 10-12 cudas about 3-4 feet. I shot one of them in a perfect form (through the gill) and the rest of them went berserk, attacking the spear and anyting attached to it (ie me and the speared fish). i dropped the spear (it was only about 45ft of water) and watched the rest of the cudas attack their mate on the spear as it sunk down...I picked up the spear 15 min later with a half eaten cuda. I was lucky, only got bitten twice around the hand and ankle My advice: dnt spear one that is too big (the bigger they are, the worse they taste) and dont spear on in a school...prob common sense anyway

I've been spearing for years and have never shot a cuda, out of some "karma" theory of mine...I know many people who have and from what I know from reliable sources is:

1. Try to target cudas about 3 ft in length or smaller.
2. They wont attack you directly(although another present in the water can't be counted out)
3. This from an ER doctor who has treated people with ciguatera poisoning from eating barracuda. Symptoms include a "burning sensation" in some, if not all of the muscles in your body or possible temporary paralysis. It is a neuro-toxin after all. Most importantly, there is supposedly NO CURE for ciguatera. Not saying you will always have symtoms, but they will have the tendency to flare up every once in a while for the rest of your life. Big risk for a quite mediocre tasting piece of meat.

Now, let me reiderate Cave Divers point that I'm no expert and even though this is information from very reliable sources/experiences, it is not scientific fact.

I had one charge me on a Keys reef once. Was not spearing, obviously, but he had a fishermans lure caught in his mouth and dragging about 6ft of monofilament. so, i just assumed he was having a bad day after his fishing expeience and was looking to blow off some steam at the nearest land person. They just remind me of curious puppies and they will follow you around but are not aggressive.

I ate some smoked baracudda once a long time ago and i thought it was good. but, hell, smoking makes mullet taste good(i mean smoking the fish). it was prepared by someone with experience in handling baracudda meat.

They are the only creature that freaks me out diving. They are so stealthy, and they just hover...yikes! I cannot imagine getting one mad at me. Good luck with that!

I have never had a large cuda fight back! They do make long runs at first after being hit. But give up very fast in the fight. Lots of cuda's have been known to carry Ciguatera a very toxic posion! The cuda get it by eatting smaller reef fish that been feeding on a smaller organisms called dinoflagellates. So be careful if you are going to try cuda! I would and will not ever eat one at all just be safe! Ciguatera is very toxic to the human body. That can make you very sick! In some case's it has been fatel but very few... The biggest cuda i have ever shot was this one! I hope you all like the photo

Attachments

• chris's cuda 2.jpg
    chris's cuda 2.jpg
    214.6 KB · Views: 109
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom