A Critical Error Leads To A Dicey Situation And An Education For This New Diver...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Science and studies would suggest otherwise. Shark Smell Myth Found Fishy

However, absolutely if you start chumming (that's a lot more than a drop), have some patience and/or sharks are nearby, eventually you're going to attract them. And I'm NOT suggesting that spearfishing/presence of dead fish/blood doesn't attract them, but I believe they are more attracted by the activity, noise, commotion, etc. In the case of this incident, I likely swam/drifted into them or we met half way so to speak.

A good example of sound waves underwater is the water bottle technique to attract sharks. There's no blood in the water, but if you do it long enough, eventually they'll show up. Like these two knuckleheads.

Last edited:
The bottle "trick" is pretty standard in Maldives. Fortunately none of us were as deep as these two numbskulls nor did any of the sharks choose to attack our shark whisperers.

The bottle "trick" is pretty standard in Maldives. Fortunately none of us were as deep as these two numbskulls nor did any of the sharks choose to attack our shark whisperers.

Yeah, ~190 feet to attract sharks on single tanks, probably breathing air. Why? Setting aside all of the other typical scuba failure possibilities that could happen, one mistake with the shark like a cut hose, some sort of issue with the shark pinning you to the bottom, etc. and you're racking up all kinds of deco, that is of course if you don't run out of gas first. Every time I see that video, I think the shark was simply making a point to them how stupid they were. Probably annoyed by the bottle too.

Last edited:
That video. Careful, you might get what you ask for!!! LOL

I've seen the bottle trick used, but never seen a shark react like that to it.

I doubt that the computer was set to meters, feet more likely.

Does a Suunto give the depth in tenths of feet? Not to my knowledge. There's a decimal point there, ergo meters, not feet.

I've been thinking more about this incident and things that can improve jug diving and I've been kicking around some ideas and would like to hear what the board thinks.

I met with a retired commercial spearo a couple days ago to discuss what happened. He pretty much hammered on all the things we have discussed, but he was emphatic on the one big obvious issue. Going down the buoy line and coming up the buoy line.

So, I've been thinking about how I can improve on this. Obviously, we know about swimming up current and then turning back and using your compass. He shared a tip that sometimes works in diminished viz and that is to drag your gun through the sand in a S pattern. Do it in such a way that doesn't mirror the existing ripples of the sand. I thought that was a good tip.

But, I've been thinking about the fact that the buoy line sometimes is not very visible and it got me thinking why not just put a simple navigational aid about 10 feet up from the lead weight? It would be as simple as tying in a swivel at 10 feet and perhaps use a windsock flag. You could attach it via one of those spring clips used for flags. Note, I think a traditional cone shaped windsock would be a bad idea as the current could take hold of your buoy line and move it, instead use one like I have pictured below.

Thoughts?

image.jpg
image.jpg

A strobe would be easier and less problematic. That is, you won't have as much task loading it.

I thought about that briefly, but wasn't sure how effective it would be during the day and thought battery life would be a pain... BUT, A 100 hours on one AA is pretty good on this model I found. TekTite Mark-Lite LED Marker Light | Dive Gear Express®

Any other models you can recommend?

Edit: Also, do you know if they alter marine life behavior?

I never spear off my own boat and I almost always drift dive when I go. Most of my diving here in the Keys requires me to return to the up line. I don't mind ascending, doing a commando peak, use my compass, site the boat, descend and then swim in that direction.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom