A Critical Error Leads To A Dicey Situation And An Education For This New Diver...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@Lorenzoid I don't know how I stack up to others in terms of learning. It's really hard for me to judge myself. The GoPro helps. How do you know?

I've pretty much had buoyancy, weight and trim nailed from my first dive, minus one hiccup during AOW class where I dove a 7 mil semi dry for the first time and was not prepared for how fast it compresses and shifts buoyancy at 100'. Needless to say I kicked up quite a bit of silt. So maybe this gave me a little more confidence to move on to different things. In all of my dives I've yet to have the luxury of hanging off a mooring line, anchor line or hang bar, yet I can hold a stop at 20 and 10 feet. I hope this doesn't sound like bragging, clearly given this incident, I'm not where I need to be to do the things I eventually want to do. @Stoo said it best earlier regarding experience.

@Lorenzoid I don't know how I stack up to others in terms of learning. It's really hard for me to judge myself. The GoPro helps. How do you know?

I've pretty much had buoyancy, weight and trim nailed from my first dive, . . .

I think that's pretty unusual. I don't think you're bragging. Some people are naturals.

I've deleted my post, my apologies for interfering; I am glad that you were not injured.

Last edited:
^^^^ because things with fins, fur or feathers just taste so damn good?

smiley-ready-to-eat.png

Nice write up. A side question:
why not ditch your fishes? is it possible that the sharks were after your fishes because they smell the blood?

I understand Kathy. It's not for everyone. I was being a little facetious with the "Stone cold killer" term. I'm not there to kill everything on the reef. In fact, I was even selective shooting Hogs and trying to only target males.

As I mentioned before, I don't want to debate the types of harvesting fish on this thread and while on this particular day a shark got an easy meal, most of the time it's the cleanest, least impact to the environment form of harvesting a fish. Next time you're at the fish market paying $25/lbs. be sure to have a look at the fish on display. I'll bet you'll find some holes in their heads.

If it's just the fact that a fish died bothers you. Watch some YouTube videos of cows and chickens being harvested. See, that's the difference. Lots of people love steak and BBQ chicken, but as a society in the first world we have eliminated the experience and process of killing our food from the public. Hell when I walk through the grocery store these days I'm not sure if I'm looking at packages of toys or food.

As far as risk. What's more dangerous? Cave diving? Wreck penetration diving? Spearfishing? Closed circuit diving?

We often hear people say spearfishing is so dangerous, but marvel at some of these equally dangerous other types of dives. I think if you're doing any kind of the aforementioned activities while diving you are taking on another level of risk. So is it fair to single out just one activity from another? I think if you call spearfishing too dangerous then you really need to call diving a few thousand feet back into a cave too dangerous as well.

It really isn't about taste, it is about enjoying slaughter. I still don't get it.

I don't think you understand. It's not enjoying "slaughter". Which is a term I wouldn't use. I was proud with how I was shooting. I didn't miss a fish. I didn't shoot one and it got away to later die and not provide me with any energy. I think you're misunderstanding what I was saying in my op. And if you don't hunt, it's understandable. Any hunter hates losing an animal to go to waste. And remember, while people on social media, etc. think they are helping conservation, it's always us hunters who put our money where our mouth is. :wink:

I ask that we leave it at that. My intention of this thread is to share my experience so others can learn. Not to get in an internet debate over fishing. :)

I am not a solo diver - nor am I a hunter - and I have a hard time understanding the hunter mentality. That may mean that I am a hypocrite because I am not a vegan. But the thing that totally eludes me is the enjoyment of killing, the taking of pleasure in ending another creature's life. I just don't get the "stone cold killer" mentality and I don't want to. It is an anathema to me. It kind of makes me want to throw up when I read you talking about it and reveling in it.

So from my point of view the obvious thing to do in such a desperate situation would be to immediately release your poor, slaughtered, innocent catch to save your life. So why did you hesitate and risk your life? The shark needs to hunt or scavenge to live (unlike you and most other humans.)

I am glad that you survived but I don't understand why you put yourself at needless risk. I guess that I never will understand. I admit that if f I were starving and desperate I would probably kill to survive, but I would never enjoy it, or seek it out unless it was the last resort. I just don't understand.
Hi KathyV,

I respect your opinion and appreciate you gracious help with my trip plans in the past so let me give this a try.

First let me clarify. When a spearo says they made a "stone" kill that is a good thing. It means the fish was killed quickly with little struggle.

I am an absolute animal lover. And I hate the fact the things die so I can eat. But I am also a realist. I like to eat. And that means someone has to do the killing, be it plant or animal. I would feel hypocritical if I judged people just because they are willing to do this for themselves. I love eating lobster. I eat lobster that others kill. When Eric and I started hunting lobster I made him do the kill. Eventually I gritted my teeth and started doing it myself. In a sense it seemed more the right thing to do, not leaving it to someone else. I also have tried spearing. Entirely unsuccessfully but the intent is still there. For me, killing for food is not easy but it is a choice I have made.

It ts also the satisfaction of eating something you were able to provide for yourself. The same feeling I get when I pick that fresh tomato from my garden.

And yes, there is also the aspect of the hunt and catch. Unlike the slaughthouse, the animal has a chance of surviving. The same can not be said for that steak dinner.

I could continue but as CuzzA said, this is not the place.

Last, there probably are some that "enjoy the slaughter" but I really doubt that's true of many spearos.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom