A Critical Error Leads To A Dicey Situation And An Education For This New Diver...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We always carry a snorkel in a pocket. Only needed it once but it was worth it that time.

Well thanks for this post. We will be going to the surge and I've been thinking If I really need to bring my snorkel, I've never had to use it on a boat dive. It seemed (past tense) like it would not be needed. You've helped me decide it goes with me. :wink:

I've tried the "roll up" snorkels but for me they just are not adequate. I carry one with the flex bottom part and a rigid top and can fold it into a BCD pocket. I do not want it in the way. I can clip it on my mask strap but if things were dicey I'd just tuck it under the strap. Even for keeping your head above the waves it is nice to raise your air intake another 10 or more inches.

The two points picked up straight away you have self identified (amongst others) so well done. Although I don't spearfish (not allowed with Scuba here) I'd would have ditched the fish that was attracting the sharks

The DSMB and the Airhorn (dive alert) On this board I've often pushed for a 6' DSMB for use in the ocean I am a firm believer that the smaller ones are't big enough given that I dive the ocean all the time. Like you I carry a JUMBO DSMB for emergencies on the surface

I prefer that you can add additional air to a DSMB on the surface if need be to make it firm enough, so that you can hold it at the base and wave it above your head (using the airhorn to attract attention too). Mine gets deployed the moment I leave the bottom (if a wreck etc) - on a reef I'll put it up before I get near to the safety stop - say 10m meters.

I used to be a clutz with finger reels/spools and was a firm believer in the ratchet reel - but I got over that deficiency. My finger spool of choice and one I sincerely recommend APEX SPOOL I use the blue version with 45m of line, you can see from the image linked how compact it is against the double ender and extra space for additional line. I have 5m of white line attached to mine so when I reach the white line I know I'm at the SS depth if I'm distracted or task loaded for any reason. The flared design of the spool makes it easy to grip and the hole big enough for a gloved finger.

We have our own boats so I might responsible for the boat while other divers are down. We know the entry time and expected surface time of everyone, but at all times are on the lookout for divers surfacing - and it can be hard to see them in a swell. As a Diver I believe it's my responsibility to ensure the boat can see and hear me if I surface away from the line (if we are using a line) but that doesn't negate my responsibility on the surface for keeping a look out for my divers and being there to pick them up when they surface

I'm really glad you're taking what you've learned to heart. What I'm confused about is why you didn't let loose the stringer the moment you confirmed you had shark(s) too interested.

I probably should have let it go sooner. One of the guys on the boat said I should have clipped the stringer to the 4' SMB and let it float away. That way the fish is off of me and maybe we could have retrieved it later. Which sounds like a good idea, but not knowing how long I could be drifting I wanted as many signaling tools as possible. Especially if one failed or got away from me.

You possibly could have dropped one of the fish and hoped it would placate the bull but likely not. Lemons & Reefs you can deal with but Bulls are just nasty. It smelled the fish and wasn't about to stop until it had some. I prefer shooting the stringer up from the bottom on a small SMB and letting the boat retrieve it just for that reason. No fish = no problem but that takes a live boat - which you obviously didn't have as they were posted up on the shot buoy. Even then it's still a race as to who gets to the stringer first. I'd say say in this particular situation you have still lost your dinner. AFA the large SMB, yes that's something that I think should be deployed at the SS if not sooner unless you are right on the drop line. Being in the zone, having a current drift on the bottom and likely a cross current at the surface due to winds all conspire against you getting back to the boat. Add a setting sun and you have the scenario which made me a firm believer in large SMBs & Dive Alert surface screamers. On a past trip to the keys, last dive of the day, one of our two divers decided he would proceed solo rather than surface after getting separated from his dive partner (not per protocol, as the smart one came up and was recovered immediately). Bottom depth and surface conditions made it impossible to bubble track them within 5 minutes of them splashing. Luckily, We found him about a half mile away 50 minutes later. Only and I mean only, because 1 of the 3 of us caught a brief reflection off of his gun. CG had already been alerted for a missing diver and we had started a search 35 minutes earlier based on our perception of wind drift & current. You were working off a shot buoy so the intent was for you to actively navigate back to it. Topside was expecting this also so they were unlikely watching or expecting any deviation from that. You learned a lot, got to dive another day, and gave some great insight into why solo diving has mandates (AND still brought home some good eats). Sounds like a win all around.

I read your story with interest and had little to say at first. It's a well-written, thoughtful account. By sharing it, others can learn from it, and thanks for that.

As I've thought about it, and the replies from others have come in, I have a few comments.

My mistakes:

Navigational awareness [....]

The snorkel. I will never dive without a snorkel again.[...]

The SMB. Thank God for my 8 ft. SMB!!! The guys on the boat said they never saw anything until I deployed the big SMB. The 4 ft. SMB was useless and I should have deployed the 8 footer first and done so immediately upon surfacing. I will be adding another 8-10 ft SMB and will keep one easily accessible and one on my butt D ring.

The Whistle. Absolutely useless at any sort of real distance. They never heard it. I will be buying a Dive Alert.

I think that "navigational awareness," as you call it, is an undertaught skill. There's a presumption implicit in open-water training that you can always just surface and sort things out there, and the statistics seem to bear that out. On the other hand there are all kinds of accidents/incidents -- and just plain frustrating dives -- where navigational problems are part of the chain of events. True navigation underwater requires pilotage and dead reckoning (including compensation for current). There's an aptitude component and some people will never get it, but even people who have a knack for it need training and practice.

I wouldn't do a boat dive in the ocean without a snorkel. I don't bring my snorkel on lake dives on smaller lakes, where there's no swell to speak of and shore is always within easy swimming distance. I've experimented with stowing my snorkel on one of my BC shoulder straps. I'll post about this another time. I think it's valuable to have a number of choices for stowing a snorkel to make it easy to bring one along without having it get in the way.

I also think that the importance of a large SMB on ocean dives is underemphasized. I carry a 6' SMB, and have had instructors and divemasters tacitly make it clear that they think it's excessive gear.

I wonder whether a Dive Alert would have helped. Yes, they're loud, but I'm not sure that the useful signalling range would be enough in that environment.

I'm going to add a possible "off-ramp:" something that while not necessarily a mistake or a cause of the incident, nonetheless could have prevented it. You could have begun the process of concluding the dive while you had more air, at least confirming that the boat or the descent line was nearby before continuing down to 1000 PSI or whatever you were using as a limit. My personal approach to diving is still evolving, but I like to begin the dive with lots of air (large cylinders), and end the dive with lots of air (high turn pressure).

I want to add that while I feel like I have a good skill set and I feel very natural diving, I'm going to put solo diving on hold until I gain more experience. A lot of guys are doing solo spearfishing, but for now I'm going to require a buddy.

A useful thought to ponder is at what points in the dive a buddy would have helped, and at what points a buddy might have just made it worse.

Too often people move too fast too soon... kudos for recognizing that.

NetDoc, I would be genuinely interested in your take on what aspects of this dive in particular put it in the "too fast" category, and how much or what kind of experience and training would be necessary to reach the point where those things were no longer "too soon."

I'm really glad you're taking what you've learned to heart. What I'm confused about is why you didn't let loose the stringer the moment you confirmed you had shark(s) too interested.

I don't have any real understanding of the ethos and safety mindset for spearfishing, but was wondering the same thing. Conservation of game, maybe? CuzzA? Anyone? Where's dumpsterDiver when we need him?

Well even though you made some 'mistakes' that you think you need to adjust to, I think you handled the situation really well, you kept thinking and reacting and managing your situation as you were experiencing it, making adjustments as you went along as you were gathering information. I think you made all your choices in good time through good awareness, never panicked, you always kept your cool and thought you way through the situation, can't expect much more than that.

I would be genuinely interested in your take on what aspects of this dive in particular put it in the "too fast" category
If I might:

I've got a few more logged dives than the OP, 90+% of those in conditions that are generally regarded as somewhat more demanding than the typical warm water resort diving. I still wouldn't do the kind of dive the OP describes. In my personal opinion, very few divers are qualified to go solo before they have logged at least a few hundred dives. If ever.

how much or what kind of experience and training would be necessary to reach the point where those things were no longer "too soon."
That would depend a lot on what kind of diving one does, and whether one consistently pushes one's comfort boundaries just a smidgen more or less on every dive, or if one's dives are the same type of benign reef bimbles every time. IMO that's an individual choice depending on risk acceptance and breadth of experience.

Excellent write-up and analysis! :clapping:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom