Do certain colors attract predators?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't know if there is ANY scientific basis for this, but "they" used to refer to yellow gear as "yum-yum-yellow" for/to sharks.

Yes!! Color can attract predators. The color of money the flash of jewelry will attract attorneys....I'm sorry, did you say predators or attorneys.
Having difficulty determining the difference, please clarify.

According to your profile you live in my home town of Atlanta. I can assure you Barracuda are no threat in Atlanta, no matter what color your gear is.:D

I don't know.......Do certain colors attract predators? .......I've heard gold makes thieves feed on some folks......:D.......& I'm sure Atlanta is no different.....

Below are a couple of links to some information. I don't know that anybody has ever successfully shown that certain colors attract sharks. Research has shown that sharp contrasts in color can attract sharks.

I have no idea about colors and barracuda, except that shiny things will attract them. It's the same concept as fishing with a spoon lure.

Shark Diver Magazine is out with more exciting and wild shark diving adventures for you to enjoy. Articles on conservation, new shark diving locations, my first shark dive articles, tips and fun.

Sharks — FactMonster.com

Actually mythbusters did a special and yellow seemed to attract sharks more than any other color. That said I think it adds to your risk by 1 10,000th of a percent. I have never seen anything in real life to verify their findings but it made for very interesting watching. It just didn't change my attitude regarding colors. I like my buddy to wear very bright colors! Me, ahem, I wear black and blue :), (not for any shark inspired reason).

A black dressed diver on the surface is nearly invisible and a jet ski will pop a diver's head like a grape fruit at 50 MPH.

N

A black dressed diver on the surface is nearly invisible and a jet ski will pop a diver's head like a grape fruit at 50 MPH.

N

Well....that sure shut everyone up :wink:

Now where did I put that yellow beanie?

I can tell you beyond any doubt that yellow attracts Mako sharks. However, not form miles away. If they are already in the neighborhood, maybe already on the feed, yellow will attract them.
Makos in particular seem to be attracted to any bright colors. Yellow is at the top, then red (at the surface, red vanishes under a few feet of water). When I used to shark fish, balloons used to set line depths were always getting bitten by Mako sharks. They would pass by all sorts of bait to bite the balloons.

I can tell you beyond any doubt that yellow attracts Mako sharks. However, not form miles away. If they are already in the neighborhood, maybe already on the feed, yellow will attract them.
Makos in particular seem to be attracted to any bright colors. Yellow is at the top, then red (at the surface, red vanishes under a few feet of water). When I used to shark fish, balloons used to set line depths were always getting bitten by Mako sharks. They would pass by all sorts of bait to bite the balloons.

Are those Yellow balloons?

Color is a very serious attractant of predators on the West Coast. Observe!
wales_south_haven_pinnacle_seal_fin.gif
seal%20and%20fin.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom